Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Russell Martin?

I have been very disappointed about his performances so far this season, against Wigan he was tore apart by Victor Moses and against MK Dons he was poor again. Last season I thought he was superb and voted him player of the season but this season he looks nervous, on and off the ball, perhaps because of Kyle Naughton taking his place. I hope he can recover his Championship form because I doubt Naughton is too worried about losing his place on Saturday or in the near future.

[quote user="Canaryfan1"]I have been very disappointed about his performances so far this season, against Wigan he was tore apart by Victor Moses and against MK Dons he was poor again. Last season I thought he was superb and voted him player of the season but this season he looks nervous, on and off the ball, perhaps because of Kyle Naughton taking his place. I hope he can recover his Championship form because I doubt Naughton is too worried about losing his place on Saturday or in the near future.[/quote]

I think some players may take alittle while to find their feet at this level, whether he gets the chance due to the competition he now faces from Naughton might make it extra hard for him. However i think it''s important not to write off anyone of the players just yet.

Even when we doubled up on Moses, he still ripped us apart.

The knee jerk reaction continues, R.Martin is no longer good enough after ONE Premier League game and ONE Carling Cup game.

Get a grip

I have to say that last night I thought Russell Martin looked a player who had suddenly been drained of confidence.

Just simple little bits of control and defending that he would usually do without any hassle he made a total mess of. There were times where usually he''d just attack the ball and get on with it but he was clearly hesitant and that resulted in mistakes.

Perhaps a combination of being a bit daunted by the Prem and losing his place to Naughton (he''s never really lost his place since he''s been here so it must have been hard for him to take) has knocked him a bit but I''m sure he''ll sort it and the manager and staff will help him to do so.

Its difficult when a younger and quicker talented footballer comes in and takes your spot but that is the harsh reality of football these days.At least Lambert has the balls to drop him, not here to make friends we start our strongest 11, it took worthy ages to play his best 11 and look what happened!Marc Edowrthy or Thomas Helveg?? erm let me think

Think it''s unfair to judge players against MK Dons, I think we pretty much forfeited from the start, not bothered about being out the cup, just I am in that fashion when you have paying supporters.

I don''t think it''s fair to say how well Martin will do in the Premier League after one game, I think he will be good once he gets used to the speed, style, tempo and the sort of players he will be up against. I think that applies to all players to be honest, still finding feet, sooner they do the better but for some it''ll take longer then others. I think Chelsea will be a big learning curve, whether we get hammered or not, it''ll be a lesson for the players, and maybe a boost in morale.

I think you can see limitations and positives of individual players quite clearly. I believe Russell Martin is a very good right back.

But the best 20 right backs in whole of england are playing in the premier league. Do I think he is in the top 20 right backs in england, probably not. But he has improved greatly.

Personally I believe Naughton has the potential to be in that top 20 alot quicker than Martin and has already made a very clear indication with his performance on Sunday that he intends to be our number 1. Hence should be starting at the moment.

I have no problem with that, we had to improve our first 11 as well as bench and fringe players. 8 additions is going to do that.

I would agree that Russ has started the season poorly. I have heard a few people suggesting that he may not be 100% fit which could be a factor. During the League 1 season he was struggling for fitness hence why he didnt always hit the heights and there were many on here criticising his performances. He is a very strong character and a cracking player so I am sure he will bounce back to play an important part this season. Possibly even at centre back, if this injury jinx continues!