Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Jermaine Defoe versus Cody Macdonald

This thread is batshit mental. Jermaine Defoe has scored goals in the Premier League for years in a selection of teams, has scored at the World Cup and has commanded transfer fees of over £10m.I have nothing against Cody but to even think you can make a valid comparision between Jermaine Defoe who has scored 130 goals in his career, mostly in the Premier League and Cody McDonald.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Gingerpele"] Its nice to know we have a message board full of football managers isn''t it....

For £4 million, and £10k max a week, yes i would take Defoe, but anymore and No way.... [/quote]Brilliant.

[/quote]I think you''ll find, GP, that Defoe will be looking for something close to that per DAY.......

[/quote]

Exactly, far too expensive, for not all that much outcome. If you think about how many goals he''s scored in a good Spurs side, how many would he score in a team getting half the chances?

[quote user="Eadienhucks"][quote user="can u sit down please"]We are never gonna get him but who in their right mind wouldn''t spend £4m on him?![/quote]

I wouldnt!!!

And this is not just from what ive read or saw on sky,This is from listening to a couple of die hard spurs ST Holders!

Even if we were now in stoke/bolton or wba`s position,and had established ourselves in the prem,

His goals to missed chances and shots ratio,is pathetic!

So i wouldnt spent 2 mill let alone 4 mill! and like my spurs mates,would rather have JACKO any day of the week!!![/quote]I dont mean to rude (despite the fact you were in response to what I said), but urm explain to me how hearing it through a 3rd party is any difference to well... hearing through a 3rd party? Just because some ''die hard'' spurs fans say so doesnt make is gossbal. I sit near some ''die hard'' norwich season ticket holders that booed Jackson and seem incessed if norwich do anything other than fire it straight forward!Goin way back to the land mark signing. I love Huckerby, but him bigger than defoe? To qoute our old friend Glen, come back when Huckerby has scored in a world cup. Your being blinded by others opinions mate, is this you opinion or that of your spurs supporting friends?

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Gingerpele"] Its nice to know we have a message board full of football managers isn''t it....

For £4 million, and £10k max a week, yes i would take Defoe, but anymore and No way.... [/quote]Brilliant.

[/quote]I think you''ll find, GP, that Defoe will be looking for something close to that per DAY.......

[/quote]

Exactly, far too expensive, for not all that much outcome. If you think about how many goals he''s scored in a good Spurs side, how many would he score in a team getting half the chances?[/quote]In the last 3 seasons, Jermaine Defoe has played 82 games for Spurs, scoring 37 goals against Premiership defences.In the last 3 seasons, Cody Macdonald has played 81 games, scoring 43 goals for Dartford, Norwich City (Champ/League One) and Gillingham (League Two).So over the last 3 seasons, Defoe is slightly less prolific than Macdonald despite playing at the highest level.On a separate note - "getting half the chances" - perhaps we need some new midfielders to put the ball into the box.  Hmm...

... and DJ Campbell scored 3 times as many goals in a ''poor'' Blackpool side as Defoe scored in Top Six Tottenham...... so the point is ?  

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Gingerpele"] Its nice to know we have a message board full of football managers isn''t it....

[/quote]

Exactly, far too expensive, for not all that much outcome. If you think about how many goals he''s scored in a good Spurs side, how many would he score in a team getting half the chances?[/quote]In the last 3 seasons, Jermaine Defoe has played 82 games for Spurs, scoring 37 goals against Premiership defences.In the last 3 seasons, Cody Macdonald has played 81 games, scoring 43 goals for Dartford, Norwich City (Champ/League One) and Gillingham (League Two).So over the last 3 seasons, Defoe is slightly less prolific than Macdonald despite playing at the highest level.On a separate note - "getting half the chances" - perhaps we need some new midfielders to put the ball into the box.  Hmm...[/quote]

Yeah, why not sell out whole team. And just buy Barca''s first team? With Defoe of course, because he''s such a wonderful player, brining England and Spurs multiple trophies, always winning the Golden boot, has a wonderful shot/goal ratio. Defoe is essentially the God of footballers, why he is still at Spurs, and not at our club with our multiple billionaire owners is beyond me....

Mister Chops, do you realise i don''t think Cody is better than Defoe? Don''t let facts get in the way of your inspirational postings though....

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Gingerpele"] Its nice to know we have a message board full of football managers isn''t it....

[/quote]

Exactly, far too expensive, for not all that much outcome. If you think about how many goals he''s scored in a good Spurs side, how many would he score in a team getting half the chances?[/quote]In the last 3 seasons, Jermaine Defoe has played 82 games for Spurs, scoring 37 goals against Premiership defences.In the last 3 seasons, Cody Macdonald has played 81 games, scoring 43 goals for Dartford, Norwich City (Champ/League One) and Gillingham (League Two).So over the last 3 seasons, Defoe is slightly less prolific than Macdonald despite playing at the highest level.On a separate note - "getting half the chances" - perhaps we need some new midfielders to put the ball into the box.  Hmm...[/quote]

Yeah, why not sell out whole team. And just buy Barca''s first team? With Defoe of course, because he''s such a wonderful player, brining England and Spurs multiple trophies, always winning the Golden boot, has a wonderful shot/goal ratio. Defoe is essentially the God of footballers, why he is still at Spurs, and not at our club with our multiple billionaire owners is beyond me....[/quote]Before I reply to this, could you please confirm whether you are being sarcastic or not?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I was probably being sarcastic.....[/quote][:D]Well then maybe, but there''s no point getting Lionel Messi as:a) We''ll have limited funds available.b) he wouldn''t be able to deal with the pace of the Premier League c) we already have Wes Hoolahan. 

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="jed exodous"]

The video on youtube of all his goals for the Gills is on Youtube.  Granted hes scored some decent goals for them, both indiviually and a few tap ins, but the only goal from outside the box was his 6th goal this season which was the edge of the box.  Some of the defending was truely comical in that video.  Its opened my eyes a bit, he has more to his game than i gave him credit for, but seriousley mate, to even consider him in the same sentence as Defoe is still comical.

[/quote]

He''s probably hit a few from outside the box that have been disallowed, so you won''t see them on that video. One in particular was not far from the half-way line and was shown on the FLS. It was very impressive indeed which is why they showed it, but why it was disallowed is anybody''s guess.

[/quote]

Could you supply a link to that video please? The only one I can find has been deleted.

[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JX6Np9CP7w

This thread really has decended into farce.  After a few hours away and to come back and read my comments, christ, i cant beleive i even entered into a debate revolving around these 2 players. 

[quote user="jed exodous"][quote user="ron obvious"]

Could you supply a link to that video please? The only one I can find has been deleted.[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JX6Np9CP7w

[/quote]Many thanks.One thing that stood out for me is that he was really, really enjoying himself. He''s the sort of player that would rather be playing football than anything else - including getting paid a lot for sitting on the bench. Which means he''ll probably go.

What stands out for me is the number of headers he scores. I would estimate about a third were headers which emphasise his bravery and movement off the ball. He is probably the best header of a ball at the club with the possible exception of Holt. Notice also that he scores with right or left foot as well as beating players with pace !!! 

[quote user="paul moy"]What stands out for me is the number of headers he scores. I would estimate about a third were headers which emphasise his bravery and movement off the ball. He is probably the best header of a ball at the club with the possible exception of Holt. Notice also that he scores with right or left foot as well as beating players with pace !!! [/quote]What stands out for me, is how well Norwich and The FA are hiding the best striker in the world in League 2, so they can release him to the world at Euro 2012 as somewhat of an unknown.  Lambert obviously decided he could only start 4 games for us in League 1 because if he played anymore, he would of attracted the likes of Barcelona & Real Madrid.