Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

Paul Hayes?

With all this talk of loan strikers potentially coming in, how about Paul Hayes? He scored a few with Scunny last year, and Preston are looking to loan him out, maybe a good shout?

You beat me to it with this post mate! I saw that Preston are looking to loan him out and i reckon if Lambert really wants another striker in on loan then Paul Hayes is as good a player as hes going to be able to sign as there just isn''t any really decent strikers available for loan at the moment.

It hasn''t really worked out for Hayes at Preston but i must admit that i have always liked him and thought he was a player we let go too easily.

This is a good shout and i have a feeling with the players he would have around him at Norwich he would start to thrive again. Paul Hayes is as good and as realistic name tha has been mentioned as a loan signing so far on these message boards. Would be very welcomed by me :-)

Went to Barnslet earlier in the season and got 0 in 7. Even playing quite well for Scunthorpe he only got about 1 in 4; not exactly prolific. I would rather stick with 4-5-1.

One of a batch of Scunthorpe strikers who struggled initially after leaving the club eg Patterson and Sharpe. hayes is clearly a Norwich old boy albeit quite a few years ago now. He would do a job though not in the same class as some of the names we have been talking about. Has to be better than we have at the moment, but better options out there if we can get them

If Preston, the bottom team and struggling against relegation, want to loan him out, what does this say about their estimation of him?

He has scored quite a few goals in the Championship, but he seems out of form, and unlikely to recapture form quickly enough in 12 games to make a difference for us.

[quote user="Excited Canary"]Went to Barnslet earlier in the season and got 0 in 7. Even playing quite well for Scunthorpe he only got about 1 in 4; not exactly prolific. I would rather stick with 4-5-1.
[/quote]

Nail on head Excited Canary. The reason we were a massive success last season was because Lambert found a system which played to our strengths in the diamond. He found the way of getting the best out of Hoolahan our most creative player and hiding our lack genuine width. He showed great pragmatism because he wasnt a fan of the diamond funnily enough when he took over (playing 4-4-2 with Lappin and McVeigh wide early on) but it was a case of the cap fitting.

The 4-5-1 achieves this again as it means we can accomodate Hoolahan, Lansbury and Surman who I think are by far our 3 most skilful players. It hides the fact we have only one top quality striker and the fact that the loan market is unlikely to yield any genuine quality on that front. What is the point in bringing in an average striker just so we can play the diamond or 4-4-2 again?

Yes lets loan in a player who can''t get in the team who are bottom of the league and play him in place of Chris Martin, a youth team player we did deem to be up to scratch.

Absolutely no point bringing in someone like Hayes. We either bring in a player with extra quality or we may as well stick to Martin or 4-5-1 with Wes up there.

All this he is a Norwich old boy, he never wore a Norwich shirt in the first team, and he said he didn''t want to move to Norwich after we were linked to him about a year a go. That doesn''t sound like a "Norwich" boy to me, anyway.

I don''t think he is needed, rather stick with our new formation.

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]

All this he is a Norwich old boy, he never wore a Norwich shirt in the first team, and he said he didn''t want to move to Norwich after we were linked to him about a year a go. That doesn''t sound like a "Norwich" boy to me, anyway.

I don''t think he is needed, rather stick with our new formation.

[/quote]Of course what he actually said is that his missus and young children were settled in Barnsley and didn''t want to move away from family and friends, entirely different to saying that "he" didn''t want to move to Norwich. If you got a job offer in Kuala Lumpa tomorrow and your missus didn''t want to move there, would you go? If you would, it would probably be time for her to start sneaking off with the gardener and start the process of counting your wealth for divorce lawyers. I have met Paul Hayes a few times, he''s a nice lad and a typical family man like Grant Holt, Darren Huckerby and Dion Dublin. Seeing as he is from London and his big brother is an Arsenal legend I doubt that he is a "Norwich lad", but his reasons for not coming here were purely family related. Some footy fans could learn a lesson from footballers who put their families first. As it happens I don''t think that he is good enough for what we need, similar level to Chris Martin and Simeone Jackson, I think that we need somebody of a much higher calibre.... but I wanted to defend him against the personal slur against him even if the professional slur (against his ability to grace the beautiful blades of grass at Carrow Road) was justified.