Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Charlie Austin

Definitely, but can''t see us being able to afford him sadly, as they want £1.8million upwards...

Big, prolific, young, and seems quite intelligent from what I''ve seen - he''d be an outstanding signing.

If we threw Tudor-Jones, Askou (on permanents) and McNamee (loan) as well as £1million or so, we might have a chance?

Will go for nearer the £2 million mark , £650,000 would be laughed at , thought Hull had already had £1.2 million bid turned down .

I think you would be looking at around 800k - 1 million for him. Not 1.8m. He''s scored goals at league 1 level. Doesn''t make him worth almost 2 million quid.

I''d like to see him here. Still unsure what Lambert saw in Wilbraham. Still, I hope he proves me wrong.

I''m going on the basis that offers over £1million have already been rejected. However, if Swindon now see that he wants out, they could be easier to deal with.

It''s definitely one that we should enquire about at least, as right now (if we had the money) I''d imagine we''d be one of the front-runners in terms of Austin''s preferred move.

They''ve said "several" Championship clubs are interested which means, and which they probably want, a bidding war. I''d love to get him but don''t think we''d be able to get him if that were the case- you''ll have your Leicesters and Hulls and Cardiffs throwing bids of £2m at him.

James Vaughan for £850k is better value

way out of our price range you would imagine, maybe he''s been tapped up already which is why he''s handed in a transfer request.

i know its unrealistic money for our budget. but to be honest if we were to try and obtain Austin and Bennett, or similar, surely that would really show intent towards top 2. and a real ambition to sign the up and coming players from lower leagues

Would signing 2 up and coming youngsters from league one really signal intent?  I''m unsure.  Austin would be a cracking signing for us, though i think its unlikey.  May i also add it does make me laugh when people dream up these bids we could put in as if they''re playing Football Manager.  For starters we have no idea whats in our budget, whilst we know Askou and OTJ are not really in Lamberts plans, what makes you think that Swindon would be prepared to part with their goal machine striker in exchange for a former player on loan 2 players who have only played a handful of games in the last year or so?

Player + cash deals are very unusual these days unless a club has already specidied an interest.  There are just so many factors.  What do you reckon the chances of 4 players all agreeing terms and to the move are?  Pretty slim in my opinion, whilst Swindon has connections with Disney, i wouldn''t be in a hurry to move there [:)]

Considering Swindon are looking for a CB and a CM (and have been linked to OTJ in the past), I''d suggest that they would gladly take the likes of JBA and OTJ.

Whether those two would go there is another matter, although I think it would suit OTJ more than JBA.

I''m afraid i have no idea what positions Swindon are looking to strengthen.

Perhaps OTJ, i can see your reasoning as hes been on loan down that way at Yeovil, but if they were interested, surely they would''ve taken him on loan???  Hes clearly been available.  Perhaps they''ve already realised hes an injury prone, waste of money.  If we could get any cash back for him it would be a result.  Nothing against JBA, he did ok for us last year, but is now well down the peckng order.  Perhaps he''ll be back off home to Denmark...

Is Charlie Austin that much different to Cody? Not just facially. Similar background being from non-league, decent goal-scorer, pretty quick...Perhaps technically better but I doubt worth two million. He bottled it against Millwall in the play-off final so we''re not interested.

[quote user="Carra Rud"]Is Charlie Austin that much different to Cody? Not just facially. Similar background being from non-league, decent goal-scorer, pretty quick...Perhaps technically better but I doubt worth two million. He bottled it against Millwall in the play-off final so we''re not interested.[/quote]He''s more of a traditional striker I''d say, pretty well built, unlike Cody who is slight.  Anyway, this is all academic because we wont be signing him.

[quote user="Carra Rud"]Is Charlie Austin that much different to Cody? Not just facially. Similar background being from non-league, decent goal-scorer, pretty quick...Perhaps technically better but I doubt worth two million. He bottled it against Millwall in the play-off final so we''re not interested.[/quote]

He may have missed a great chance in that game, but look at his stats - they''re impressive!

A player at his stage of development would flourish under PL, but I doubt we''d be able to compete with the others who are in for him. Leicester can outbid anyone they wish now can''t they?

[quote user="Darren Lamb"]Maybe sending Mcnamee back to Swindon and some cash could do it.[/quote]

they would want to increase the price if we did that

[quote user="Darren Lamb"]Did you see how big the ball bobbled when he went to hit it, a bit harsh to say he bottled it![/quote]What''s wrong with the Wembley pitch?