Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bates

Mark Tierney having a medical today

Ketchup?

If true, I dont see why we need him with Drury, S. Smith and Lappin at the club, surely another right back is more of a priority

Bit worried if true.. Where does that leave the rock that is Drury and the promising Smith? Why would he join us just to be a back up?

I know Drury is getting on in football terms but he has life in him yet and is an outstanding left back! I don''t think any of the other top 6 would look at an unproven left back to help aid their push!

If true, prove me wrong once again Mr Lambert!

He''d have to do a lot to win me over after his comments AND he''d have to alude to it in his press conference using the terms "I was a dick" and "obviously it was tongue in cheek". And if he doesn''t and no journo mentions it, I''ll drive down myself and ask him!

[quote user="Muddy funster"]He''d have to do a lot to win me over after his comments AND he''d have to alude to it in his press conference using the terms "I was a dick" and "obviously it was tongue in cheek". And if he doesn''t and no journo mentions it, I''ll drive down myself and ask him![/quote]Don''t be silly, it''s just a bit of passion.We love players like that on our side. We loved Bellamy, we loved Huckerby, if we had Robbie Savage we would love him too.I guarentee that he would become a fans favourite within about 6 weeks.

I dont see why we need another LB, we have Drury, Smith back from injury soon and Lappin can cover there if needed. I can''t see how yet another LB will help us "go for it" this season

It should perhaps also be noted that Tierney is a friend of Grant Holt.Any friend of Grant Holt is welcome at City. They both play with their hearts on their sleeves too.Everybody automatically assumes that he will be competing for the left back spot, nobody seems to have acknowledged that:a) Tierney can play at centre back (he is 6 foot by the way)b) Tierney can play left midfieldc) Steven Smith can play left midfield.We also have no idea just how bad Steven Smiths injury problems are percieved to be. He was a massively injury prone player before arriving, and is still injury prone now. If that doesn''t look like a problem which will go away, which it probably won''t, he may as well leave the club with Zak Whitbread.To be honest, I have to question Lambert''s judgement with signing injury prone players. Do the club have the right medical people in? These people have to pass medicals before getting a contract, at least they usually do.If we had Tierney, Smith and Drury, Tierney would still get more game time than the other two. It has been four or five years since EITHER of those two have had an injury free season. Tierney played 41 games last year, 44 the year before, 43 the year before that. Sounds like just the player for us.Sign him up.

Juge - your "just a bit of passion" examples never slagged off a football team and then signed for them.

Bellamy didn''t, Huckerby didn''t and Savage didn''t....because they had too much respect for the fans and they realised that stranger things have happened, and they''d burn their boats if they did ever want to join that team.

So to conclude, we all enjoy a bit of passion, but how do you think Colwho fans will think about him after he would "NEVER" join Norwich....and now may well be? Probably as well as NCFC fans will to him signing. Apart from you of course Juge

Does seem a bit pointless in a position we have 3 people that can play there (Lappin included) Would prefer or a right back or a proven goalscorer

An excellent post LeJuge.  You need to be able to pick quality in all 11 positions every game, and if Tierney can play in 3 or 4 of those positions, then we are all the stronger for having him on board.

Don''t let Drury''s legendary status get in the way of rationale thought.He is a great left back. but if he can''t manage any more than half a games a year then we need another good left back. Only, that other good left back has to be fit and able.Smith has shown that he is not physically capable of providing adequate competition or cover to Adam Drury. Therefore, we need somebody that can. If Drury and Smith are all that we need at the club, then why the hell are we playing Simon Lappin at left back?

[quote user="Muddy funster"]Juge - your "just a bit of passion" examples never slagged off a football team and then signed for them.

Bellamy didn''t, Huckerby didn''t and Savage didn''t....because they had too much respect for the fans and they realised that stranger things have happened, and they''d burn their boats if they did ever want to join that team.

So to conclude, we all enjoy a bit of passion, but how do you think Colwho fans will think about him after he would "NEVER" join Norwich....and now may well be? Probably as well as NCFC fans will to him signing. Apart from you of course Juge[/quote]I genuinely wouldn''t give a toss as long as he was good enough on the field. This is football, its a nasty game, if we signed all the nice guys we would be crap.We tried that before, the nice guy approach, remember? And now we have Grant Holt, Chris Martin, Paul Lambert, David McNally absolutely ruthless bastards when it comes to football and the opposition. And I love them for it.

Despite the fact he is an idiot he wouldn''t be too bad.  S.Smith is always injured and Drury is a lot as well so we may as well sign him up.  It would suprise me though and I think we should be prioritising in other areas.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]And incidentally, isn''t it really easy to offend football fans these days ?  I thought we were a bit less brittle than that, bu hey ho...[/quote]Spot on. This is the same mentality which has effectively made it a no contact sport.F*ck the ball, get into ''em. Tierney is a winner, a hard man, just like Grant Holt is, and just like Lambert was as a player. I would have 11 of them if I could.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Muddy funster"]Juge - your "just a bit of passion" examples never slagged off a football team and then signed for them. Bellamy didn''t, Huckerby didn''t and Savage didn''t....because they had too much respect for the fans and they realised that stranger things have happened, and they''d burn their boats if they did ever want to join that team. So to conclude, we all enjoy a bit of passion, but how do you think Colwho fans will think about him after he would "NEVER" join Norwich....and now may well be? Probably as well as NCFC fans will to him signing. Apart from you of course Juge[/quote]

I genuinely wouldn''t give a toss as long as he was good enough on the field. This is football, its a nasty game, if we signed all the nice guys we would be crap.

We tried that before, the nice guy approach, remember? And now we have Grant Holt, Chris Martin, Paul Lambert, David McNally absolutely ruthless bastards when it comes to football and the opposition. And I love them for it.
[/quote]

Chris Martin?  He may be ruthless in the pubs and clubs but I havn''t seen much of it on the field.  I think someone like Crofts or Lappin would be better suited to that list.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="blahblahblah"]And incidentally, isn''t it really easy to offend football fans these days ?  I thought we were a bit less brittle than that, bu hey ho...
[/quote]

Spot on. This is the same mentality which has effectively made it a no contact sport.

F*ck the ball, get into ''em. Tierney is a winner, a hard man, just like Grant Holt is, and just like Lambert was as a player. I would have 11 of them if I could.
[/quote]

Are you Sam Allardyce by any chance?

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="blahblahblah"]And incidentally, isn''t it really easy to offend football fans these days ?  I thought we were a bit less brittle than that, bu hey ho...[/quote]Spot on. This is the same mentality which has effectively made it a no contact sport.F*ck the ball, get into ''em. Tierney is a winner, a hard man, just like Grant Holt is, and just like Lambert was as a player. I would have 11 of them if I could.[/quote]I''d rather have some skill and ability in my team, not 11 kick the sh*t of the opposistion players

[quote user="Gareth"][quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="blahblahblah"]And incidentally, isn''t it really easy to offend football fans these days ?  I thought we were a bit less brittle than that, bu hey ho...[/quote]Spot on. This is the same mentality which has effectively made it a no contact sport.F*ck the ball, get into ''em. Tierney is a winner, a hard man, just like Grant Holt is, and just like Lambert was as a player. I would have 11 of them if I could.[/quote]I''d rather have some skill and ability in my team, not 11 kick the sh*t out of the opposistion players[/quote]

[quote user="Gareth"][quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="blahblahblah"]And incidentally, isn''t it really easy to offend football fans these days ?  I thought we were a bit less brittle than that, bu hey ho...[/quote]Spot on. This is the same mentality which has effectively made it a no contact sport.F*ck the ball, get into ''em. Tierney is a winner, a hard man, just like Grant Holt is, and just like Lambert was as a player. I would have 11 of them if I could.[/quote]I''d rather have some skill and ability in my team, not 11 kick the sh*t of the opposistion players[/quote]It''s interesting that you would assume that Tierney has no skill or ability, perhaps you could provide some examples of other Paul Lambert signings with no skill or ability? You may be interested to know that Paul Lambert signed Tierney for Colchester off of the back of him winning the 2007/2008 fans player of the year award and the the 2007/2008 players player of the year award at Shrewsbury. Of course, only somebody with next to no knowledge of football would state that Tierney has no footballing ability; either you haven''t seen him play more than once or twice or you can''t judge a player. Which is it? Because I have seen him about a dozen times and the lad is easily Championship quality.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="blahblahblah"]And incidentally, isn''t it really easy to offend football fans these days ?  I thought we were a bit less brittle than that, bu hey ho...[/quote]Spot on. This is the same mentality which has effectively made it a no contact sport.F*ck the ball, get into ''em. Tierney is a winner, a hard man, just like Grant Holt is, and just like Lambert was as a player. I would have 11 of them if I could.[/quote]

[/quote]I can''t see the issue with Sam Allardyce, his approach is the ONLY one which would work with clubs like Blackburn and Bolton. Neither of those clubs will achieve a top half finish without playing ugly football, and there is nothing wrong with a bit of rough and tumble.Are you Arsene Wenger by any chance? Give me a Kevin Davies over a 21st century pansy any day, that''s a real footballer for you. What an f''in legend.

I think Le Juge is an admirer of the beautiful game.

Oh and Blahblahblah - when, throughout the history of football....worldwide, would a set of football fans NOT have a problem with a player slagging their team of and saying he would NEVER play for them....and then signing for them. I hardly think it''s being brittle. Just not being played for a mug by a silly young man with not enough intelligence to comprehend the danger of his comment in the future. I meant Tierney, not Juge by the way.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="blahblahblah"]And incidentally, isn''t it really easy to offend football fans these days ?  I thought we were a bit less brittle than that, bu hey ho...
[/quote]

Spot on. This is the same mentality which has effectively made it a no contact sport.

F*ck the ball, get into ''em. Tierney is a winner, a hard man, just like Grant Holt is, and just like Lambert was as a player. I would have 11 of them if I could.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I can''t see the issue with Sam Allardyce, his approach is the ONLY one which would work with clubs like Blackburn and Bolton. Neither of those clubs will achieve a top half finish without playing ugly football, and there is nothing wrong with a bit of rough and tumble.

Are you Arsene Wenger by any chance? Give me a Kevin Davies over a 21st century pansy any day, that''s a real footballer for you. What an f''in legend.
[/quote]

Under Owen Coyle, Bolton are playing some really nice football, not ugly at all

If you dont mind me asking OP - whats your source? Or did you just see the other thread about Lambert''s car being parked near the building when we sign someone..this has happened today, so you thought you would take a guess at Tierney, as we have been linked with him a lot?

I haven''t seen Tierney play, so I won''t comment until I have seen him play. In some ways I agree with you hard tacklers and grafters are needed even in modern football and players such as Kevin Davies and Grant Holt who find balances of both are incredible, but my main point is that you can''t found an entire team based on hard work, good tacklers and target men you need some players who focus primarily on playing football, even if it means losing some solidarity. 

[quote user="Muddy funster"]I think Le Juge is an admirer of the beautiful game.

Oh and Blahblahblah - when, throughout the history of football....worldwide, would a set of football fans NOT have a problem with a player slagging their team of and saying he would NEVER play for them....and then signing for them. I hardly think it''s being brittle. Just not being played for a mug by a silly young man with not enough intelligence to comprehend the danger of his comment in the future. I meant Tierney, not Juge by the way.[/quote]I think most of us with the intelligence to comprehend the danger of the comment in the future wouldn''t bother getting wound up about the comment, seeing it instead as a fatuous attempt to curry favour with fans of his current club, wouldn''t we ?It''s just talk.  If he comes here, he''ll give 100%.  Being a footballer, maybe even 150%.  What''s the problem ?