Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Please Don't Sing That Burley Song....

[quote user="ThorpeCanary"]Agree with Rudolph in that I think the use of ''Scottish'' is used as an insult as well as to complete the lyric, and I think what with Paul Lambert and our scottish players it would be a dumb to sing right now. It will most likely be sung though, and I doubt in the world of football and what goes on it Paul Lambert is going to give one about a song directed at GB[/quote]So you think the term "scottish" is an insult? Perhaps you have issues,,,

As someone else posted,we sang it with gunny only 10 feet away in gaol,and he never seemed to think we were being disrespectful!

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Sing it. He''s a scummer. He''s up there with Wark, Gates, Mills and Micky feckin Stockwell. Couldn''t care less if he was born in Scotland or on Mars (he looks like a cross between the two), I hate the pr1ck[/quote]

Looks like sitting on the fence does not run in the family then Duncan[:P][;)][:D]

The insulting words are "sad" and "b*stard" not scottish. The scottish is merely descriptive. It will be sung. If you don''t like it then replace Scottish with Ipswich but i will stick to the original.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="ThorpeCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="ThorpeCanary"]Agree with Rudolph in that I think the use of ''Scottish'' is used as an insult as well as to complete the lyric, and I think what with Paul Lambert and our scottish players it would be a dumb to sing right now. It will most likely be sung though, and I doubt in the world of football and what goes on it Paul Lambert is going to give one about a song directed at GB[/quote]

So, because I''m Scottish, all the countless times I have sung it I''m actually insulting myself?

Crikey.
[/quote]

Well thats how ive always viewed it as, the use of the word "Scottish" intended as an insult.
I may be wrong, it may just be there to fit the song as you''ve said
[/quote]

If I remember rightly the original was actually a chart hit for some Sunderland fans. It was a complimentary take on the old Monkee''s hit "Sleepy Jean". But the Geordies got hold of it and sang "Cheer up Peter Reid oh what can it be to a sad Mackem b*****d and a s**t football team."

When we adapted it for Burley we obviously replaced "Mackem" with "Scottish". I expect many Scottish City fans have sung it without ever even thinking about it being insulting.

[/quote]

Spot on Nutty sung it loads of times and I am half Scottish.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]The insulting words are "sad" and "b*stard" not scottish. The scottish is merely descriptive. It will be sung. If you don''t like it then replace Scottish with Ipswich but i will stick to the original.[/quote]

Quite right and I for one have never heard it sung any better than at the play-off Final in Cardiff - let''s see if we can match that tomorrow!

Its insulting, think how Lambert, S.Smith, Lappin... Must feel hearing those disgusting Chanting... im just going to tut at the people around me in the upper Barclay, and sit and clap to the goal music!!

[quote user="zemas tendon"]

Its insulting, think how Lambert, S.Smith, Lappin... Must feel hearing those disgusting Chanting... im just going to tut at the people around me in the upper Barclay, and sit and clap to the goal music!!

[/quote]So having played for Celtic against Rangers he''ll be a sensitive little soul?Get a grip you bloody sissies and realise that players or managers aren''t choir boys.... and football fans aren''t so politically correct outside Norfolk.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="zemas tendon"]

[/quote]

So having played for Celtic against Rangers he''ll be a sensitive little soul?

Get a grip you bloody sissies and realise that players or managers aren''t choir boys.... and football fans aren''t so politically correct outside Norfolk.
[/quote]

Wooooosssshhhhh!! Hahah, I don''t believe it - Cluck has just been outwitted by Zema''s Tendon [:D][:D]