Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

I've had enough of 'Him'!.

WIZZARD ALTHOUGH YOU NORMALLY TALK ALOAD OF BABBLING NONSENSE ON HERE WITH YOUR EXTRA LONG POSTS I HAPPEN TO AGREE WITH YOU FOR ONCE. WORTHY HASNT THE SLIGHTEST IDEA WHAT TO DO IN THE PREM,HE''S MAKING THE TEAM LOOK LIKE A SCHOOLBOY TEAM,THEY ARE A COMPLETE SHAMBLES & WATCHING THEM PLAY IS ALMOST LAUGHABLE WITH THERE DESPERATE TACKLES,UNABILILTY TO PASS THE BALL,COPE WITH CROSSES,DEEP DEFENDING,SHOOTING ON TARGET,GEEEEEEZ THE LIST IS ENDLESS ! FANS PAY GOOD MONEY TO WATCH THIS SHOWER OF S**T EVERY WEEK & SOMETHING HAS TO CHANGE ! THE BOTTOM LINE IS...CARRY ON LIKE THIS & ITS THE FIZZY LEAGUE NEXT SEASON !                                   SO I SAY TO YOU WORTHY...STOP THIS CARRY ON,GO TO A NIGHT CLASS SOMEWHERE & LEARN ABOUT FOOTBALL & AS FOR THE PLAYERS....GET YOUR FRIGGIN FINGERS OUTTA YA BACKSIDES & DO WHAT YOUR PAYED TO DO....PLAY FOOTBALL,ITS NOT JUST WORTHYS FAULT,YOU ARE MENT TO BE THE TALENTED FOOTBALLERS!

Maybe the "fans" are a blinkered and incorrect load of morons.

Or maybe the coaching staff are a blinkered load of morons.

I would say somewhere in the middle is probably the case. There are a lot of things that Gary Holt does that the fans would NEVER see. But then there are a lot of things that Gary Holt does that the coaching staff ignore.

Please get off Worthy`s back ! ...... he`s done good for us .. I know its the rule to bash the manager if there`s a bad run , but you also have to consider how much of the blame for this can be attached to the players ! , as Worthy said recently , our strikers are missing " Sitters " ...... and that, in my book , is the main cause of our lowly position , " strikers" who miss easy chances are not fit to be up there !! , its unprofessional

Wiz.... sir,

With all due to respect... do you call what you turned me back into normal???

I hope you can restrain Igor too, who know''s what the "Queer Eye for a Straight Guy" people may do to him...

I''m just going to nip off too the hair products warehouse... I hear they''re having a sale on Elvis wigs...

Til we next do battle on the Pink''un.... sir,

I bid you farewell...

p-s: did you still want me to get you that Dolly Parton wig..... sir ??

Change for the sake of change, a public sacrifice of Worthys head to appease the baying crowd?

It seems to me that given our limited financial resources the two Premiership clubs we are attempting to emulate are Bolton and Charlton. Both these clubs have stuck by their managers through relegations and promotions and allowed them time to perfect their craft and build teams. Other clubs have the financial luxury to bring in the finished managerial product, they will dump a manager at the drop of the hat. The first thing the new manager does is to ship out a load of old players and ship in several new faces, this takes cash and it also takes time to bed the new team in - we have neither of these luxuries.

The simple truth is Worthy is our manager. He took us to the championship last year and a playoff final a few years ago. In doing so he has evolved and improved as a manger. The budget for the Premiership has been severely limited, the lowest of all the clubs in the league, and some of the players who''ve come in have not lived up to expectations or reputations. Worthy deserves his chance to lead us through this season and into the next whether that is in the Premiership or below.

Bolton and Charlton have both shown how loyalty to their manager has led to eventual Premiership success and I think are a good example, not just in footballing terms but also in terms of common decency. I would also add ''Boro in there too, not that long ago MacClaren was under real pressure and now they''ve turned it around. Get behind Worthington, get behind the whole team, trust the board ..... quite frankly we''re starting to resemble the Wolves fans of last year and that''s not an attractive sight!

[quote]Change for the sake of change, a public sacrifice of Worthys head to appease the baying crowd? It seems to me that given our limited financial resources the two Premiership clubs we are attempting to...[/quote]

From what I can tell, there seems to be three camps forming on this subject.

1. Worthy has to go.

2. Worthy must stay.

3. Worthy stays for now, but must improve.

If the unthinkable happens, and we fail to beat Southampton, the number''s in group 1 will increase greatly, I feel.

We live as they say, in interesting times.

Confidence is a fragile thing and Saturday has hit everyone hard. However it''s time for a reality check. This season was always going to be hard, any club coming up will struggle and our financial position has made it even harder. It''s pretty easy to criticise the players Worthy has chosen to sign but the reality is he has bought in eight new faces for next to nay cash. The club is in a better state gate wise and finance wise than for many years. One massive strength we had last year was the feeling of a family club, all in it together, it helped attract the likes of Hucks - we seem in danger of losing this in a quest for the promised $ of the Premiership.

Give Worthington space to do his job. Get off the back of the team, seriously we really are turning into Wolves -it''s too horrible to even think. If we go down then maybe the board will look at making a change but you have to give the guy a chance. I would rather stick as we are than make expensive wholesale changes now. The truth is we know Worthy can get us out of the lower league - because we''ve seen him do it. Rally round ....... 

I''m in:  3. Worthy stays for now, but must improve.

So far Zipper has made the most sense.

The only arguments that anyone supporting Worthy 100% seem to come up with are what he acheived in Div 1.  Well that doesn''t help us now does it?

Norman and Wiz, get a room, I mean other than the fantasy dungeon you have created.  Have you heard of private mail?

Al Yellow, I don''t think 20 odd people on a messageboard means we are going to do a Wolves.

At the end of the day dear old Nige is making the same mistakes week in week out.  Holt is one of them.   When we have quality players like Helveg and Mullers in the squad it is extremely frustrating to watch Eddy let his man score and Holt to run round like a headless chicken for 90 minutes, often treading on the defenders toes.   Some basic, very basic, coaching could make Holt and Eddy play better, but more importantly and even easier fix is to bring in Mullers and Helveg in.  If Nigel doesn''t start growing some balls and learning from his mistakes I will fast be in the Worthy out brigade (oh how quick my opinion has changed, sorry Yankee).   If Holt and Eddy play in the next fixture I will not be happy and might even call Harry myself, he seemed to like Norwich when on sky when we played Man City.

StevenageFan:

Punishment from the almighty and powerful one is swift and decisive...

I''ve recently been hit by a lightning bolt... and I''m not able to go near any electrical equipment for weeks, so the power in the dungoen had to be switched off, therefore no computers... (oh my god!)... and no private mail (sorry)! But alas, I can still post here

He''s not talking to me anyway at the moment because I mocked him for suggesting...

GE*RGE FL**PN BUR**Y!!! to replace his majesty King Worthy I...

But you''re right... King Worthy is making the same mistakes week in week out, and if he doesn''t pull his crown up from over his eyes, he''ll soon be walking straight towards the chopping block... I''ll not switch camps... but I''ll not cry if it''s the best for the team at the end of the day... Although I don''t think he''s going anywhere fast... he''ll be here come seasons end, after that let''s wait and see

[quote]StevenageFan: Punishment from the almighty and powerful one is swift and decisive... I''ve recently been hit by a lightning bolt... and I''m not able to go near any electrical equipment for weeks, so ...[/quote]

As I always enjoy your wonderful post''s Norm, of course I''m still talking to you. What gave you the impression that I wasn''t?.

See Stevenage fan, I didn''t even mention dungeon once...oops....sorry!. 

Wiz...... sir,

I was only joking...

thanks for the mention on your "thankyou" post... I was reading down... down... down... and beginning to feel I''d been forgotten, but there I was

It would appear we''re not allowed to talk about the "D"(ungoen) place any more... so we''ll have to think up something else, but I hope you managed to save Igor first?????????

p-s: I''ve tried my hand at a little sorcery, and I''ve cast a spell to help turn you back to the King Worthy camp...

did you see that Campbell suggested you "go... to the psychiatrists"...

I hate to think what people think I need then...

Excellent post Al Yellow.  Curbishley and Allardyce have been allowed to learn the hard way (not many better schools than that of real life and hard knocks) which means taking relegation as a natural possibility (3 teams get hit by it year in year out) that, despite the media frenzy does not HAVE to mean the end of that team asa successful footballing entity.

Both these clubs are manage by individuals with a similar record and profile to our nige - both have had tough times from fns when things have not gone right but the club have taken a longer 5 year view over what will make them truly successful rather than a boom or bust club like Bradford or Watford.  In the interim identifying yourselves as relegation favourites for a season is a sensible plan - if you over achieve and avoid the R word its a brucey bonus.

And Fergie was a game away from the sack yet went on to win the treble with manure.  There is far too much short termism - a longer view is necessary an stability is normally only good for any club so we should stick with Worthy as he learns from the mistakes he HAS made; especially in view of the lack of any viable alternaties .

The long term plan is a tough trick to pull off (ask Wolves); but Bolton, Charlton and WBA have shown it is possible. 

As DDiM say, we have to Keep The Faith, for despite saturdays performance I do beleive that our club is still on the rise, and will be so even if we get relegated.  

OTBC

I thought Worthington should have resigned at the end of the 2002-3 season, after a year of no progress at all after the play-off final. I thought he''d done a great job, made us secure at the back, well organised, well disciplined, but that he was not adventurous enough, we didn''t create enough chances. I thought with him in charge we''d be in and around the First Division''s top six, not good enough for automatic promotion.

And I was wrong. He realised we needed more attacking potential, he went out and bought Hucks, Sven and Leon and he gave us what we''ve been wanting for nearly ten years.

Seems to me we''re in the same situation now. Apart from last weekend, we''ve been tough to beat, honest, hard working - just like the team that got to the play-off final (and couldn''t get any further). Like some of the posters have said, Worthington''s getting used to the Premier too. He needs to make some changes, and we need to sign a striker in January. But he deserves the chance to improve as a manager. And there isn''t a better candidate. I have a feeling that we''d regret sacking him.

In our nine years in Division One, we never looked like getting out of it when we were chopping and changing managers. Only when Worthington was given some time did things improve. Getting promoted is like starting again.

I think he''s earned our support. otbc

Robert in Manilla, I asked the question in an earlier post and even ZippersLeftFoot didn''t have an answer.

How long does Worthy get to sort it out?

If the board were resigned to the team going straight back down then they can stick with Worthy irrespective of what happens. However, if there was a belief, perhaps promoted by Worthy himself, that the team can stay up then there has to come a time when Worthy''s credentials are questioned.

The other thing to bear in mind is that whilst there are several level headed people posting here in the forum you have 23000 vociferous fans at FCR for each home game who may not stay so level headed if the bad form continues. Not winning against Southampton on Saturday will add fuel to the fire of bad feeling from the terraces. Clearly, Worthy remains a "hero" if City win Saturday, but expect a chorus of loud boos if the team performance and perhaps even the team lineup is unchanged.

I, personally, am not saying that he should be kicked out, but he does need to show the City faithful that he does have what it takes to manage in the Premiership. Being brave and changing a side so devoid of ideas over the last two weeks would be a start. Acknowledging that there is more to Premiership football than simple hard work would also help. He has creative talent in the squad that perhaps does not meet his work ethic standards - perhaps he needs to modify the work ethic stance so that he does not forsake the overall creative needs of the team.

Worthy should be given this season at least. The club has been moving forward over the last three seasons and a knee jerk reaction is not what we need. Financially the club, it seems, would not be able to give a new manager much cash to spend and any compensation to a sacked manager would reduce the budget still further. Turmoil from a change and the likely pundit view that a new man is unlikely to keep us up will leave us in the same position anyway but having dropped a few pounds and possibly ripped the spirit out of the club. The premiership has been a massive leap forward the man who got us there should be given his chance - loyalty works both ways. Relegation currently looks likely but we''re certainly not adrift and come full time on Saturday the picture could be very different. I think we should build for the long term and that means the finances, the stadium, the team and be prepared to follow the model of sticking with a manager through any relegation. Again I say Charlton and Bolton.

To me the crunch time for Nige only comes when he cannot take his squad with him - most worryingly a couple of players (Bentley & Helveg) have shown the first signs that the squad unity may be breaking - it was a key factor of our success last year.

If the squad remains with Worthy then I stick by my longer term view that we keep him in place through the season, irrespective of the baying masses and into the championship if needed - stability is a fantastic building block for success. Without the squad his position would be impossible and he would have to be given the push.

In my view no other criteria needs apply.

Sorry morph, still no timescale, but more a question of club unity, its the best I can come up with.

OTBC

[quote]Worthy should be given this season at least. The club has been moving forward over the last three seasons and a knee jerk reaction is not what we need. Financially the club, it seems, would not be abl...[/quote]

To quote you Al Yellow, ''loyalty works both ways''. Is that the same kind of loyalty the club and Worthy used to get shot of Malky and Iwan?.

Although I did agree with that decision, because, IMO, and the club''s it would seem, they were not up to the premiership standard.

And that''s the same scenario we have now, IMO Worthy is not up to the required standard either!. What rule was applied to the players must be applied to the manager, yes.

Or are we talking about double standards here?. 

Anyway ''loyalty'' and ''football'' do not make good bedfellows I think.

Apart from the above, I can''t find no fault with your argument. 

Sadly Wizard you are correct loyalty and football no longer seem to be natural bedfellows. This is a great shame because football should be all about loyalty, at the end of the day it''s easier to change your wife, your nationality, your religion, your gender than it is to change your team. The price of failure to stay in the top flight is seen as catastrophic largely a function of the enormous disparity of finances between the Premiership and the rest. This system has created this throw away culture for managers and players, a pretty bad example to set to the average young fan. The underlying problem is the complete failure of the FA to address these issues, the game carries the seeds of its own destruction. Wouldn''t it be nice to see some loyalty from a board, a manager or a player to match that of the ordinary fans. That is the reason it''s so important that so many of us are shareholders in this club and that we look to the long term interests, we need to build for a stable future. I would advocate loyalty to a manager who has taken us this far is a good place to start.

[quote]Sadly Wizard you are correct loyalty and football no longer seem to be natural bedfellows. This is a great shame because football should be all about loyalty, at the end of the day it''s easier to chan...[/quote]

Yet again your sentiments are spot on Al Yellow.

But a defeat or draw against Southampton, sadly more likely if Greeno is injured, after seeing Ward''s shaky, abiet short, spell in goal. Would I believe, result in scenes not witnessed since the Chase era. ie. Mass booing and chants of ''Worthy Out''.

Then, IMO and hope, the matter may be taken out of Worthy''s hands altogether.

[quote]Yet again your sentiments are spot on Al Yellow. But a defeat or draw against Southampton, sadly more likely if Greeno is injured, after seeing Ward''s shaky, abiet short, spell in goal. Would I belie...[/quote]

wiz

although results are bad, i don''t believe we are going to witness the sort of stuff some of us remember from the dark days, for a start nothing, not even relegation will make doomcaster and co get rid of worthy, you know that - as do many of us.  I personally want him to stay to sort it out, if he was sacked, who on earth would take his place, livermore or foley (a cheap and  much used option at Norwich) and not the answer as it is their coaching ineptness which is part of the cause and effect of us being bottom of the league

yes, there will be boos if we are to lose again - but that won''t persuade the board to get rid, they are quite happy, seats are filled till the end of the season, demand is high, though it might tail off next season!  But for the life of me i cannot see mass unrest as you suggest.  Worthy isn''t up to this league tactically - and the board are i suspect prepared for relegation, doomcaster was never one for optimism now was he?

Also i think most fans will still want him to stay - for many reasons, most of all because he was the manager who got us up, whether he will keep us there is of course debatable - another six straight defeats and of course things might be different

as they say, the jury is still out.........