Sign in to follow this  
Robert N. LiM

I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour

I''m miserable; we''re all miserable. So let''s relive some happier times.

What''s the best you''ve ever felt at a Norwich game?

My top three (in reverse order)

3. Norwich 2 Liverpool 1. 1987. Kevin Drinkell''s last-minute goal. All the stewards had left their places to mass behind the River End goal that we were attacking (rather than telling everyone to sit down - those were the days) I was 12, but I vividly remember the orange-jacketed loons jumping around in front of me. First time I''d seen Norwich beat a really big club

2. Driving home after the Bayern Munich second leg, hearing that Man U had lost to Galatasaray to go out of the Champions League. At that moment, every football fan in the country would have wished they supported Norwich (and I can''t think of another occasion when that was the case).

1. Malky''s goal against Wolves in the play-off semi-final. The feeling that our place at Cardiff had just been assured. Feeling the concrete below me actually moving as we jumped around to that tune they play when we score. The sight of the Wolves fans. The feeling that the good times were on their way back. (It occurs to me that having the chance to be bottom of the Premiership was what we were celebrating then...)

My happier time was a bit more recent - at the start of the season, before any games were played, and when the Premiership table was in alphabetical order

Mark Robins takes the ball from Tony Adams and lobs David Seaman for one of the most fantastic comebacks of all time ! 2-0 down at highbury half time in the first game of the season mr Robins makes his debut full time 4-2 ah those were the days.

Boxing Day 86 Man U: 0 Norwich: 1

Not sure this is cheering me up or making me more miserable !! 

Robert:

cheer up mate those are some happy memories.

Quote: It occurs to me that having the chance to be bottom of the Premiership was what we were celebrating then.

Pity it doesn''t seem to be worth celebrating now though!

Have you got a big group of Norwich lads down there in manilla, I''ve heard there a few?

Robert:

There''s a guy who posts on the WOTB, then again it could be you

fareastcanary... he''s in the philipines he tells me, manila I think... and there''s a couple of people who signed up for the Canaries in Australia, from there too, I''ll try and get some details for you... my e-mail address is in the profile, so if you want, drop us a line and I''ll see what i can do

Cant have you on your own out there now can we??

Robert, rather than contribute to the happy memories here, I would just like to congratulate you on a great thread title.

Am seeing Morrissey myself on 18th December at Earls Court, straight after Chelsea away, and therefore I fully appreciate this thread.

Nice one!

3. Running on to the pitch as a ball boy vs Luton in 1985 and kicking the ball back to the half way line where a foul had been committed. Les Sealey shouted out at me ''you little *&%*!''

2. Standing in the Churchmans Stand at Ipswich with the home fans in the early 80''s with my dad. Martin O''Neill scoring that freekick for us to win 3 -2 and me going nuts surrounded by angered Ipswich fans. I was young so avoided a slap.

1. Top Norwich memory. Losing to Wolves at Molineux 2 years ago but still going through to Cardiff. Most nervous I''ve ever been at a game, we lost but came out winners. All those crying Wolves fans. Sob sob.

Hmm lets see my top moments of supporting city--

Just missing the top 3 but a close 4th perhaps, the second leg against inter milan at the san siro. Being a young''un i was at school and did not go but remeber running home to watch the game (why was it on the afternoon? never understood that) it was then that i knew that my passionate affair with city was concrete and that it would never leave me. Ok so top 3 moments

3) ipswich vs city - bellamy 1-0, first time i had seen us beat them lot and i was absolutly loving it! the trip back to norfolk on the coach was amazing

2) Barnsley vs city - nielsen and mcveigh for us, winning 2-0. it was the whole day that summed it up for me. Went on cabbage but it seemed that our coach was mainly full of lads and ''singers'' no i wasnt on coach1 before you ask. inflatables up and down the coach singing on the ball city as we rolled into barnsley town centre. the atmos was electric

1) Realising my dreams have now come true. Seeing city lift a major trophy. The only other trophy i had seen us raie was the friendly cup with sunderland a few years back. Almost brought a tear to my eye. living at uni and driving my flatmates crazy during the palace and sunderland game. on the pitch at crewe, just them last few weeks of that season will live for me, (and when i have them my kids and their kids) for ever.

three best memories

my number one and it was a long, long time ago, winning the milk cup semi and beating the binners to do it, will that occasion ever be bettered?  not for me.  It was great beating them last season, especially at their place, but somehow the semi always wins, for me anyway

second, (although not strictly on the pitch) the day chase finally let go and resigned, i was at work (up a ladder painting a fascia board at the time) when the owner of the house ran out and shouted "He''s gone"  that night lots of city fans congregated in front of city hall and drove around the streets celebrating ... i know it wasn''t a football match but a memory all the same

third, promotion night at the reserve match last season, was there with my daughter (who at 23 couldn''t remember us winning anything!), it made me so proud to be able to share that night with her - again we drove around the city celebrating!  It was an almost surreal occasion, so many people at a reserve match which was dire, but everyone either texting or with a radio to their ear - a proud night!

League Cup Final 1985, we''ve just scored, I went apes**t*, everyone around me was going apes**t* too.

Unforgettable.

*asterisks supplied by the webteam...

My top five:

1. The Jeremy Goss equaliser against Bayern at home

2. The Malky header right at the end of the Play Off semi final to give us a good 3-1 lead.

3. The Steve Bruce header against Ipswich in the MC semi final -even better than the final itself.

4. The news that Huckerby had been signed permanently and the Premiership looked within touching distance after 9 years of pain.

5. Turning on Sky this season on 21st August to see our lads walking out at Old Trafford- brought a tear to my eye.