Sign in to follow this  
Graham Humphrey

Chill out people...

Yeah, I know, another thread about why we are going up and everyone should calm down, etc [|-)]  But everyone else has done it so who cares?I think we need to put everything in perspective here.  The last nine matches we have collected 20 points, losing just once in the process - more than two points per game is usually title-winning form.  Yes, the last three matches has seen two occasions in which we have dropped points - but we did put in decent performances both times and created loads of chances.  Remember that we had some quite extraordinary refereeing in those games, too, and despite everything seemingly conspiring against us the players have kept going, playing their usual game and not panicking at any point - with Lambert not afraid to make big changes, as usual.  It would be very easy for the team to fold in such conditions and in previous years we certainly would have - but not now.  Paul Lambert''s Norwich City is an altogether different animal.  As shown against Franchise FC we will keep going until the bitter end to try and pull it out of the bag and that has not changed at all during Lambert''s tenure regardless of our form.  Contrast this with Leeds, who during their wobble, totally bottled it, putting in sub-standard performances and seemingly not functioning as a team.  That is something we have not suffered from.It is also important to note we have only five games remaining now - that is significant of course, as for us to miss out Leeds and Millwall have to win three more games than us.  With fifteen games remaining... okay, that can definitely happen.  Maybe even ten.  But five?  Well, it can happen but how likely is it?  Even for one of them to overtake us will be difficult, but two is barely with the realms of possibility.  A lot of people seem to be assuming that the teams below us are invincible and won''t drop points (except when they play each other obviously - a factor which is also very important) but they aren''t.  They are below us for a reason.  In situations like these (and we''ve seen it before) some supporters tend to overestimate the ability of the chasing pack.  True, Millwall in particular are in white-hot form - but the same night we lost at Tranmere they scraped a draw at home to the mighty Brentford.  Tomorrow night they are at Yeovil which certainly isn''t a foregone conclusion and on Friday they have an extremely tough game at Huddersfield - not to mention a potentially massive showdown with Swindon on the final day.  Now of course, they could win all these matches.  But will they really?  Look at Swindon getting stuffed on Satrurday.   Just as some are convinced we won''t get more than one point out of Orient and Charlton.  Sure, could happen, and we can''t take anything for granted.  But why assume this is going to be the case?  And remember even in the worst case scenario we will still be top come Saturday night with just three to play.However having Holt banned for two games certainly is a spanner in the works - even more so if Hoolahan doesn''t make it in time.  Take two of the best players out of any side in the world and they will find it more difficult.  But we coped without Holt before and we can do it again.  Remember there is more to our team than just those two.  Having Forster back is a big boost to us too, and we have a group of players who will always stand up and be counted so we don''t have to worry about that.  Having that spirit and belief counts for a hell of a lot.I can understand why people are a little worried - there''s something at the back of everyone''s mind, I''m sure - but we''ve made it this far and it is a position we could only dream of back in those dark pre-Lambert days.  I''m not taking anything for granted as strange things do happen in football; we''ve seen it too often, not least when we''ve been involved.  But realistically, four more points and we''ve sealed it (I''ve never heard of anyone missing out with 90 points).  And with five games to do it we just need to stay focused, do what we''ve been doing all season - and that includes the supporters who have been fantastic overall - and the rest will surely follow.  Let''s really get behind the side tomorrow and Saturday, those of us who are fortunate enough to be attending, and stay calm even if things don''t go the way we want them to.  Remember that all the sides in the frame for promotion would gladly swap places with us if they could.  Something we should not lose sight of.

Good post.I think if we were to cock this up the worst bit about it would be the caning we would take from the Leeds fans.[:)]

Excellent post Graham. Three points tomorrow night and everyone will be wondering what they were worrying about.

If the pressure''s on for us, what is it like for the chasing pack? Lots more strange results to come!

Good god, a sensible post, whats going on, you know its not allowed on here?But yes its true, we are there, cant see anyone catching us

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Excellent post Graham. Three points tomorrow night and everyone will be wondering what they were worrying about.

If the pressure''s on for us, what is it like for the chasing pack? Lots more strange results to come!

[/quote]You''re right, 3 points tomorrow night is exactly what we need, and I honestly think that a win there is achievable.

Exactly.Without meaning any disrespect we''re playing Orient not Barcelona.  They''ve had a really bad run recently although have appointed a new manager so will probably be up for it.  But the table never lies and they''re near the bottom for a reason.  Last time without Holt it was a struggle but we managed to grind out a couple of wins and a similar job is required tomorrow night - there is no reason why we can''t do this.

[quote user="morty"]Good post.

I think if we were to cock this up the worst bit about it would be the caning we would take from the Leeds fans.

[:)]
[/quote]You mean the return of the painboy? don''t even go there!

A good post Graham.  I have to agree I feel quite relaxed about the whole thing at the moment.  If we''re feeling the pressure, what must it be like for Millwall, Leeds, Swindon and Charlton who are desperate to capture that 2nd spot.  They will all drop points at some stage and even, if as some suggest, Millwall will go unbeaten, the other three won''t or indeed can''t.  But all that doesn''t even matter, because we''re not about to lose 5 games are we?  Look at it realistically.  Even if we hit a rough patch, we would surely gain at least one more win and a couple of draws? That would be enough for promotion and probably the title. I predict we''ll comfortably get 8-10 points and probably more.

We''re a good team and are not showing signs of nervousness.  We look solid defensively. The goals scored by the opposition in the last two home game have been fortunate.  We look good going forward and create chance after chance.  Some of these will go in.

So, as has been said, enjoy it, as we probably won''t be in such a luxurious position for a long, long time!

I agree that by all rational viewpoints promotion is in the bag. But as someone else has said, this is football, football fans certainly aren''t always rational, and it wouldn''t be the craziest thing that has happened in the game if we blew it from here.

Can i just make a formal request however that if we win our next two games and all goes rosy from here, people don''t start threads titled,

"how could you doubt us" or

"you doubters hang your heads" or

"people who doubted us should be ashamed"... any more ideas for post headlines!?

Remember, feeling a bit nervous at this time does not make anyone less of a fan or less of a person!

You''re right a1, and no, it doesn''t make you less of a fan or a person.  It is quite natural to feel anxious, NCFC fans have probably suffered more than most in recent years. 

However, as Graham pointed out, Lambert''s team are a different beast.  They''re showing no signs of bottling it and even despite the officials best attempts on Saturday to make sure they got nothing, they still kept going until the end and got their reward.  They will take the game to the opposition in each of the remaining games I feel sure (regardless of who plays) and that will bring its rewards.  Lambert never seems to settle for a point, so I would predict we''ll win more than we lose.

There will be no smug posts from me if we win the next two, but I will admit to being anxious if the gap closes to less than 6 points to third place after the next two games!

[quote user="a1canary"]Remember, feeling a bit nervous at this time does not make anyone less of a fan or less of a person![/quote]To be fair a1, neither I or anybody else on this thread has said anything like this and I haven''t seen too many posts on any thread saying it.  As sig says it is natural to feel anxious and I''ve already said I understand why people feel that way.  It certainly does not give anyone a right to doubt how much of fan anybody else is because that is simply not in question for any of us as far as I am concerned.