Sign in to follow this  
CambridgeCanary

Easy Games ??!!??

There are several threads about the number of points needed for promotion etc, predicting results and looking at future fixtures.  There are several just about Leeds.    I apologise for adding another but I am looking through the other end of the telescope.

In recent years we have had three relegation battles, two of them lost.  We have seen how it works.   Yes, we can look at games involving top six sides and wonder how they will affect things.  Do not dismiss the other games. 

This is the time when bottom and struggling teams start to win games as they struggle to stay up.   This when the surprise results begin.   We will see some top teams lose surprisingly and some poor teams achieve good victories.   Someone in the bottom four will escape relegation nobly and a team will go on a bad run and drop like a stone.

We cannot assume that we or more importantly our rivals will win the apparently easy games because we know that relegation battles are never predictable.  If the last five matches had gone to form, we would not have been relgated last season.  We lost games we should have won and others such as Plymouth did the reverse.

This is a dangerous and unpredictable time.

For what it is worth, I think we are too good to get caught up in all this but the three below us are all very vulnerable to banana skin results.

Good post, and I agree with your summing up.I think we will win on Saturday.[:)]

When you are top and going for promotion...none of the games are easy imho

I was a bit worried about the Huddersfield and Swindon games, but with their recent bad run i see these 2 games very very winnable indded(and we will beat dirty Leeds)

I think we''ve seen that at times this season c-t-i-d. The smaller teams are likely to be up for it against a bigger side that was in the prem not long back. Between the Colchester game and last weekend, had we won a game by more than a goal? But we still ground out the results when we weren''t allowed to play our best football. Form does go out of the window to an extent, but everyone below us has been that unpredictable I can''t see things changing too much.

Carrying on the theme of difficult games. It seems our tough spell has coincided with other teams having tough fixtures. It will be tough for them to get the jump on us hopefully even if we were to slip up.

Easy games?  They dont exist in the league

Anyone can get a result against anyone over 90 minutes.  Thats why Leeds beat ManUre and drew with Spuds, Brentford drew with Leeds at Elland Road and why the Scum beat Cardiff last night.  "Shock" results happen as often in the league as they do in the cup

But over a course of a season, quality will always rise to the top.  I don''t think there are any particularly easy games between now and the end of the season - form says we should smack Stockport completely out of sight at Carrow Road but they COULD beat us if we take the result for granted.  Likewise we are possibly playing Swindon and Huddersfield at the time when their form is starting to dip but we may be the catalyst to turn things round again - or we may send them down still further

Its not beyond the realms of possibility we may win every game between now & the end of the season.  On the other hand we may lose every game.  I''m going to be wearing my ''lucky'' Norwich shirt for all 11 matches between now and the end of the season in the hope that we can win enough to go up, hopefully as Champions

Look through all the games we''ve had this season and how many of them have been easy games?

I can think of 4-6 - Paulton, Wycombe at home, Bristol Rovers at home, Yeovil at home, Leyton Orient at home and Brighton at home and even in them games it wasn''t all plain sailing!

I don''t include ColWHO A cause in reality apart from us scoring 2 goals they had more of the play in the 1st half!

In professional football you have to be prepared to accept that the vast majority of games are going to be hard ones!

Thats why I don''t think our next 2 away games which look harder than most others will in reality be any harder than the slogs we''ve had against Southend at home, Brighton away and Oldham away!

In early March posters were agreeing that there were no easy games.   As I pointed out, low placed teams pull out great performances as the threat of relegation approaches.

If it was true in early March then it is even more so today.   There are no easy games.

I really don''t u nderstand all the despondency on here tonight about us losing two allegedly easy games.   These things happen.  We are not the only top six team who will suffer an upset before the end of the season.

I am not suggesting complacency or that we are playing well.  Clearly we are not but the hysteria tonight is so over the top.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

In early March posters were agreeing that there were no easy games.   As I pointed out, low placed teams pull out great performances as the threat of relegation approaches.

If it was true in early March then it is even more so today.   There are no easy games.

I really don''t u nderstand all the despondency on here tonight about us losing two allegedly easy games.   These things happen.  We are not the only top six team who will suffer an upset before the end of the season.

I am not suggesting complacency or that we are playing well.  Clearly we are not but the hysteria tonight is so over the top.

[/quote]

Come on, we''re Norwich fans, we''ve come to expect the worst!

We are the team that will be low on confidence at the moment; the likes of Leeds and Charlton won''t be. We may limp over the finshing line if we win our last two home games. However, on current form, that''s by no means a certainty.

Just 4 points from our last 4 games and more worryingly, the next 4 games look more difficult to me. Based on the way we''re playing right now, I reckon we''ll do well to get more than 4 points from the remaining games and if we''re not careful we could end up with no more than 90 points. That may be enough but I wouldn''t want to bet on it.

We''re ending the season with a blip - just as we started with a blip. The difference is that we''ve got points on the board and games are running out - when Leeds and Charlton lost form there was still a long way to go

The gap over 3rd has only closed by 1 point per game over the last 4 on average - on that basis we will still do it by 3 points. Likewise Charlton could still be where we win promotion - although the Championship will have to wait for at least Gillingham (H)

Nervous? Yes,but I still think we''ll do it

OTBC

I''m not so sure any more. We''ve just lost to Tranmere & Orient, drawn against MK & struggled to beat the whipping boys of Stockport. Three out of those 4 teams are very poor so in anyone''s book that is terrible form. Charlton won''t be easy so we could get pegged back again come Saturday.