Sign in to follow this  
Gaz Milno

Norwich Closing In On Oli Johnson

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]All we can do with this is wait and see. But I really don''t see any point in slagging a player off before we have even seem him play. It is just the usual we get on here - every time we sign someone they are either crap or we have missed out on someone better. Only a couple of months ago people were slagging off Holt, saying how we''d missed out on Dickinson and got second best. I''m pretty sure that this is not their opinion now. Lambert has so far well for us in terms of tactics, results, and also signings, so I''m willing to trust his judgement on the guy before deciding whether this player is any good, and I suggest others do the same.[/quote]

He''s a 22 yr old striker who rarely scores and rides the bench at Stockport.  I see no reason to be excited about him coming to Norwich.  If he turns out to be good, then that will be a nice surprise, but I sure would not hang my hat on this guy having an impact. If he is "all that" but on the bench, then it speaks towards other problems such as attitude, effort and team chemistry. 

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]All we can do with this is wait and see. But I really don''t see any point in slagging a player off before we have even seem him play. It is just the usual we get on here - every time we sign someone they are either crap or we have missed out on someone better. Only a couple of months ago people were slagging off Holt, saying how we''d missed out on Dickinson and got second best. I''m pretty sure that this is not their opinion now. Lambert has so far well for us in terms of tactics, results, and also signings, so I''m willing to trust his judgement on the guy before deciding whether this player is any good, and I suggest others do the same.[/quote]

He''s a 22 yr old striker who rarely scores and rides the bench at Stockport.  I see no reason to be excited about him coming to Norwich.  If he turns out to be good, then that will be a nice surprise, but I sure would not hang my hat on this guy having an impact. If he is "all that" but on the bench, then it speaks towards other problems such as attitude, effort and team chemistry. 

[/quote]So speaketh someone who knows f*ck all about the goings on at Stockport. Roll Tide.

We don''t need another first choice striker. We have three strikers who are going to get 20 goals each this season already and who compliment each other really well.

What we need is some back up in the event one or more get injured. Breaking the bank for such a player would make no sense but bringing in a young guy who does not expect to walk straight into the first team does. The other thing is by all accounts he is quite pacy. The one glaring gap in our squad earlier in the season was pace. We now have Johnson, Macnamee and Cody to bring off the bench if a bit of pace is required.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

We don''t need another first choice striker. We have three strikers who are going to get 20 goals each this season already and who compliment each other really well.

What we need is some back up in the event one or more get injured. Breaking the bank for such a player would make no sense but bringing in a young guy who does not expect to walk straight into the first team does. The other thing is by all accounts he is quite pacy. The one glaring gap in our squad earlier in the season was pace. We now have Johnson, Macnamee and Cody to bring off the bench if a bit of pace is required.

[/quote]Absolutely.  The Stockport fans I''ve been chatting with believe there''s a handy little player in there who had his head turned by Premiership/Championship interest.  6 goals for the League''s lowest scorers isn''t actually that bad, to be fair.Again, I''d love to see Barnard or similar here, but we are the top scorers in this division (possibly English football, not sure on Rochdale''s stats) - we need backup ''just in case'' rather than a big scorer who will sit on the bench.  They won''t come here for that, and we shouldn''t be paying for them to do so.

Just watched the you tube clip, cracking goal, but (and I know it''s a bit fuzzy) does anyone else think he looks a lot like Englands Glenn Johnson??  Any relation or purely coincidental?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

Here Here!!

[quote user="Allez17"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]So speaketh someone who knows f*ck all about the goings on at Stockport. Roll Tide. [/quote]

That''s exactly right, which is why I am noy jumping on the Oli Johnson bandwagon just yet like too many others seems to be wanting to do. Most of the optimism about him seems to be based on the fact that he has signed for NCFC and nothing else. They know as much about him as I do. I am reserving my excitement because I prefer to be happily surprised later on when he proves himself rather than emotionally drained when he sucks or poisons the team.

[quote user="Clint"][quote user="AVFC-NCFC"]

[quote user="Askounin"][quote user="AVFC-NCFC"]Why sign him if he has scored 1 goal?[/quote]
FFs mate, you cant allways sign 20 gaol a season proven strikers can you. every heard of potential? You may aswell say why did Arsenal sign Fabregas if he had never played a game for Barcelona 1st team!
[/quote]

Because there is a slight difference between not getting into the Barcelona side and not getting into a Stockport side. We will see but who is he back up for? Cody? Who i''m sure could do a better job than him.

[/quote]

What exactly is that statement based on?  I doubt you''ve actually seen very much of Cody nevermind Oli Johnson....ridiculous statement!

[/quote]

Your right i haven''t but even though it doesn''t matter what i think, i think we don''t need another young striker with potential. Cody has scored two at championship level. Oli Johnson has scored 1 at league 1 level. Hopefully i will eat my words. I have trust in Lambert.

Cody has outscored Oli at champs level - but think the club stats show only one goal scored.

Oli outscores Cody in league 1 level.

Cant get excited until I see him but he must have something,  but it does cast a shadow over daley and cody