Sign in to follow this  
kennyfoggo

Standing

Opening an emotive subject will no doubt receive differing views,  I am not against standing at all, in fact if I could I would perfer to have standing areas.

Me and my mate both have mobility problems we sit on the front row of the barclay, diliberately chose to sit there, 1 it is the barclay after all 2 front row nobody in front of us 3 we can wind up the opposing goalkeeper..   So far this season a guy next to me decides he wants to stand..why I can''t fathom out as you can''t see anymore... Not only stands but steps across my line of vision quite a lot..I asked him politely if he could sit down so we could see .something like most of the pitch. In reply he said "well *effin well stand yourself*  I replied that I couldn''t as I have leg problems..he replied *sit on the effin track then*

I tried to speak to a steward you just waved at me...and didn''t seem to give a toss, I suppose I am left with complaining to the club, I don''t really want to cause trouble, but heck I pay me season ticket and surely I am entitled to see more than one side of the pitch..

Complain to the club kennyfoggo and have this ignorant git spoken to and dealt with. Keep it low. 

sounds like a real charmer probably one of the clowns who jumps the queue at the bars on riverside on matchdays had a couple of disagrements myself this season no respect some people

you old trouble maker kennyfoggo

i sit (or stand most of the time) just behind you, will come and say hello next game

most of you know my views on standing at matches, so i won''t repeat it all here - except to say the stewards haven''t bothered us this season!  so far..............

Know what you mean mate, I''ve sat in that same area just behind the goal,

The person at the front (who has the best view of all) needlessly stands up.

Then the one behind him has to do the same and so on until everyone behind stands.

Finally nobody can sit again until the silly whatsit does.

[quote]you old trouble maker kennyfoggo i sit (or stand most of the time) just behind you, will come and say hello next game most of you know my views on standing at matches, so i won''t repeat it all ...[/quote]

What on earth makes you think that you have the right to stand "most of the time" in front of fans sitting behind you who have paid good money for their seats?

Quite frankly I am rather tired of the forum allowing posters to preen about and promote this type of boorish behaviour.

By all means campaign for standing areas. I will support you. but until then please do not inconvenience the good folks behind you "most of the time".

OTBC

[quote]What on earth makes you think that you have the right to stand "most of the time" in front of fans sitting behind you who have paid good money for their seats? Quite frankly I am rather tired of the ...[/quote]

bly bly babes

for your information only

i do not annoy those behind me, cos they stand as well, i would never upset anyone who had paid to watch a game - i always check when i am standing up to make sure those behind me are standing, and they always are, we are in the barclay for god''s sake

if i wanted to sit down i would go to a stand famed for it - i am doing nothing wrong, just supporting my team, and so far we have not been asked to sit down by fellow supporters, stewards or anyone else

so you keep to sitting down, if that is what you want to do, i love the barclay for atmosphere and for feeling part of  the club i love, i have sat in  other areas of the ground in times past, but now prefer to be in my natural home

if that is boorish behaviour then so be it, it is me and i am not going to change now

Gazza.

I am not sure that the Barclay is your ''natural home", but I will not be harsh.

The Barclay was my home for many years from 1959 until late 70''s when I was forced to take refuge for some years in the South Stand due to the yobs and thugs creating violence in the Barclay. Thankfully, that aberration ceased with the introduction of seating.

I am glad that you make sure that everybody behind you is standing up before you yourself stand. Pull the other one, its got bells on it.

OTBC

P.S. By the way did you see your namesake playing for Boston on TV the other day and  short-arming all in sight!!??

One love.

[quote]Gazza. I am not sure that the Barclay is your ''natural home", but I will not be harsh. The Barclay was my home for many years from 1959 until late 70''s when I was forced to take refuge for some year...[/quote]

bly bly babes

i have stood in the barclay for most of the seventies to date, with a couple of moves to the family area due to taking my young children to games, ie pricing!!  now they are both adult we all go in the barclay, out of choice.

You seem to connect standing with yobs, which is grossly unfair on a great many loyal fans who just love to ACTIVELY get behind their team.  Yes football is different to the 70s and 80s, the last time i was threatened at carrow road was many years ago, selling a fanzine during the derby game (nothing to do with seats!), and away at glorious molineux!! after the semi-final for the play offs not so long ago, despite seating, there is still trouble around. I know you are not trying to be personal about this, but my son has stood at the back of  E block for the past six seasons, he is not a yob because he stands there and starts off songs to encourage our team!  This is far easier and more natural down standing up!

I assume you have stayed in the south stand, well good for you, if that is what you want, some of us want to be passionate, yell at the ref, encourage the team, whatever, just sing our hearts out, you know full well you cannot do this in the other three stands...

I take from your post that you are saying i don''t look round to see if i am standing and blocking others views of the game.  The people behind me stand all game as well.  While we are on the subject of seats, what would you do about people who turn up late, take many toilet/refreshement breaks while play is going on, stop them incase they momentarily impeded someone''s view?

My apologies to other msg board users for this post, but i feel very passionate indeed about this issue.  Thanks for listening. 

Er....... I gather that

a] in order to ''ACTIVELY get behind'' City one must stand! What an insult to all those who sit.

b] only those who stand in the Barclay support City passionately!

c] if I sit in the Barclay next home match either nobody will stand in front of me because they will look behind first and see that I am sitting!!

or

if somebody stands in front of me "most of the time"'' he/she will sit down when I ask them to!!

Gazza, nothing personal, but check out the first post on this thread. Where does one draw the line?

You would be better served, I submit, spending your undoubted energy in campaigning constructively for areas specifically designed for standing.

If most people in sections of the Barclay continue to stand, it will only take one incident that snowballs for the FA to act and close those sections. I suppose we will then have aggro in Carrow Road.

By the way what does ''STANDING in the Ketts Tavern all evening talking football'' have to do with this debate?

C''mon, I challenge you. Start an organised campaign for experimental standing areas, First problem - how would they be paid for?

Fatboy and Meeky are you going to join in, or are you just watching and waiting ; for fireworks?

OTBC

One love.

I think the taylor report from where it all started was knee jerk and reactionary to the disaster of hillsbrough. I dont believe that standing is a big problem if it is properly policed. It would also enable more people to get into the match.

It seems to work in the lower divisions.....but i surpose there are no bourgeois prawn sandwich munchers there.

[quote]Er....... I gather that a] in order to ''ACTIVELY get behind'' City one must stand ! What an insult to all those who sit. b] only those who stand in the Barclay support City passionately! c]...[/quote]

BlyBlybabes, i have no intention of getting involved in this little dispute, im just enjoying watching you both go at it hammer and tongs! I only posted earlier because it had slipped off page 1 and i was worried Gazza had missed her chance to respond. Anyway, im keeping my nose clean after the recent ear bashing i recieved from AJ in a private message!!! Good luck to the pair of you and keep up the good work.

[quote]Er....... I gather that a] in order to ''ACTIVELY get behind'' City one must stand ! What an insult to all those who sit. b] only those who stand in the Barclay support City passionately! c]...[/quote]

bly bly babes

this has to be short as i am late for an appt

firstly the ketts tavern stuff was not aimed at you, unless you have changed your name

i have a lot of energy, most of which is used up on things more constructive than holding an argument with you, you can use long and fine words all you want, i will save mine for cheering on my team, standing up

we have done if for a hundred years and will not stop, if you would like to come into the area where my seat is, you can ask those behind me if i annoy them, including the stewards, who don''t stop us, unless instructed to do so by some mad council official who has probably never been to a match

yes, i am with people like keelan''s glove regarding a campaign, some of us once campaigned to get rid of chase, where we you then i wonder?

and as for insults mate, you insulted us who stand in the barclay, my friends will tell you i am as far removed from a yob as is possible to be, but i passionately hate those making pointless laws, we are no more unsafe standing - in fact we are safer, and no one can prove that otherwise, the legislation after hillsborough was just an excuse to wipe out football as a spectator sport for the less well off.

i don''t knock you for sitting if that is what you want to do, we just want the choice!

FYI Iwan''s Front Teeth:

‘Standing accommodation is not intrinsically unsafe’
Lord Justice Taylor 1989

Seems he agrees with you!

Yes, Peter but...........

"There is no panacea which will achieve total safety and cure all problems of behaviour and crowd control. But I am satisfied that seating does more to achieve those objectives than any other measure"

Taylor, 1990, in his final report.

Now who does he agree with?

...does more to achieve this than any other measure.

This makes it a very difficult matter to address.

The trick, I think, is to campaign for experimental, safely-designed standing areas. The challenge is who will fund the experiments.

City should do a cost-benefit analysis on the team peformance benefits of an atmospheric versus a sterile ground. Improved team performance goes to the bottom line, thus creating more investible funds and a virtuous circle.  

In the interim, however, persistent standing in seated areas leads to the type of problem experienced by kennyfoggo in the original post in this thread, plus the intimidation of other members who would wish to remain seated ''most of the time'' but are scared to stand up for their rights.

In support of safe, all standing areas.

OTBC