Sign in to follow this  
Houston Canary

What have Charlton done?

Charlton has been in free fall for a few seasons, but now they seem to be in full control. Did they do something special during the off-season?  They were God-awful last season, and yet here they are unbeaten while we languish mid-table. What did they do this summer that is working for them?  Is it money, personnel, players brought in?

Thanks pre-emptorily to anyone who can fill me in on this.

They managed to keep hold of all of their decent players and didn''t have to replace anyone...

We lost all of our loans and a few more besides and replaced them mediocracy.

From January onwards they started working on putting together a League 1 side and cutting their costs accordingly, thus they were well prepared for life at this level.

I think some credit should be given to the Manager who is doing what he does best in this division - putting together a team that works and sticking with it game after game.  You will find that he has made very few changes so far - exactly what he once did at Colchester unless forced by suspension/injuries. 

I have a friend who is a die hard Charlton fan and she has told me that their manger wrote off the season last year with about nine games to go and prepared for this season. Seems to have worked, so far.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

Charlton has been in free fall for a few seasons, but now they seem to be in full control. Did they do something special during the off-season?  They were God-awful last season, and yet here they are unbeaten while we languish mid-table. What did they do this summer that is working for them?  Is it money, personnel, players brought in?

[/quote]

They''ve found their level. Sadly, so have we - it''s just that our''s isn''t quite as high as theirs at the moment.

Thanks for the information, everybody.  It sounds like being guarenteed relegation early, rather then flirting with avoiding it as we did, paid off for them. That, among other things.

Like others have said they prepared for relegation early, bloodeed their youngsters early which has put them in good shape for this season.....they took some beatings but this has prepared them well. Where as Norwich tried to saty up with loans.......who left and players who wanted to leave as soon as we went down so we have had to rebuild our squad totally.

As someone said before, they were relegated with a few games to spare, so they prepared. They went through which players would stay, and the replaced the ones which left. Where as, we have a semi-decent manager with players which Gunn brought in. A very hard job he has imo.

I wouldn''t even say they started preparing when it was mathematically confirmed. For me they actually started preparing in January they offloaded quite a few players then and replaced them with League 1 standard people and gave the squad a tonne of experience which has served them well thus far. But yeah the way I saw it they didn''t even try and make a fist of staying up. 

Nothing yet!

Last season Oldham were top at this time. The season before it was Orient. It''s a bit early to give Charlton too much respect and I hope we don''t tomorrow.

I don''t think Lambert will allow that to happen Nutty... he certainly didn''t let Colchester to us haha. 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Nothing yet!

Last season Oldham were top at this time. The season before it was Orient. It''s a bit early to give Charlton too much respect and I hope we don''t tomorrow.

[/quote]

Exactly, the fat lady is still choosing what knickers to wear.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

Charlton were already down by the time we played them on the last game of last season.. ~Sadly they had plenty of time to mentally adjust to life in league 1.. clearly they have done that.... keeping a squad together has helped too.

hand them the title now i say.

jas :)