Sign in to follow this  
Eadienhucks

All this rubbish about leeds being a much bigger club

The argument goes,"its their history" etc ..well then on that basis then villa are bigger than chelsea( how many times have villa won the league and fa cup compared to chelsea) and even teams like sunderland who won a few 100 years ago!  its not the past that counts its the now or the recent past,and i will still admit leeds are big due to their previous prem status a few years ago,but they aint been a massive club since the days of revie!

Same goes for spurs fans who still think they are sooooo big! last time they won the league was the year we were last in the 3rd tier of footy!.....And dont get me started on fan base! when we last won the championship in 04, the estimate was 80,000 outside city hall(i still got the pics) and then the people who lined the streets was estimated at another 15,000..this,to me,was low estimate if you graph the picture and count in blocks of 10 x 10 ... And this was a monday night when a lot of supporters couldnt get there(most wanted it on a sunday)....even going back to the 80`s when support all round the country dwindled, when we got to wembly all the allocation was snapped up within days and the norwich switchboard estimated they had enough enquiries to fill wembley with just norwich!...I dont know about the 02 play offs,how many enquiries etc but again im sure a lot was dissapointed... Leeda where big once,but so was the spice girls, neither gets the same crowds as they used to 

Domestic honours

[44]

League titles

Cups

European honours

[44]

(Decided who kept the trophy when the competition was replaced by the UEFA Cup)

Leeds compared to Norwich are a massive club , as the meercat would say ...simples.

It doesn''t matter who you were, it''s who you are now.  Right now Leeds and Norwich are in the exact same position, both in the same League, both in the same position regarding chances of promotion and both in a similar position financially. Just because they won a lot years ago doesn''t make them a big club now.As the meerkat would say, Simples.

on  a similar way of thinking...do you think we are a big club ? cos we are not....Leeds are a bigger club than us i am afraid :(

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]on  a similar way of thinking...
do you think we are a big club ? cos we are not....

Leeds are a bigger club than us i am afraid :(
[/quote]

Don''t think we are a big club but we have the potential to be much bigger than we are now, there are several clubs in the prem that we have the potential to be bigger than. The only thing we lack is money, Wigan wouldn''t have been where they are now if it wasn''t for Whelan and Chelsea would probably be in the Championship by now if Abramovich hadn''t got involved.

If we had a large cash injection and built a team good enough to stay in the prem and increased ground capacity to 35k I''m sure we''d fill it, problem is winning trophies nowadays is an entirely different matter and the best we could hope for even with money is a top 10 prem finish and maybe a cup final appearance.

[quote user="kdncfc"]

Chelsea would probably be in the Championship by now if Abramovich hadn''t got involved. [/quote]

That is so far from the truth it is unreal. [^o)] [8-)]

Yeah, Chelsea were on the path to Glory before the KGB involvement, they would probably have made it legit without it !Gullit, Vialli, Zola to name just 3 very influencial Chelsea players , 2 of which managed the club.

Wigan, Pompey, Man City ( pre Cash... post Cash if they donkey this season ) Villa, BaggiesWe could be bigger than all those....always remember, we might not be Prem now but we were when it was first formed so we have lost stature over the last 10 years. Swings and roundabouts !

[quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="kdncfc"]

Chelsea would probably be in the Championship by now if Abramovich hadn''t got involved. [/quote]

[/quote]

yeah if Abramovich hadnt got involved they would probably be much further down the leagues, possibly even extinct

[quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="kdncfc"]

[/quote]

Chelsea were in dire straights before Abramovich stepped in and the way things were going there is no way they''d have been able to compete at the level they have done since his arrival. Plenty of big clubs like Leeds and Man City have sunk to the Championship and lower so why would Chelsea have been any different without the massive cash injection they''ve had?

I personally think they would have been better off without the KGB scumbag, hes just given them a bad rep and thrown all the cash in.BUT they were not doing half as bad without him ! I remember being in the USA when he took over the club, my mate was a Chelsea fan and was legitimatly furious he had taken over.Even today he will admit (after a few ) that he would have prefered Chelsea without the money regardless of the trophies ! And he was litterally born at Stamford Bridge !

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]I personally think they would have been better off without the KGB scumbag, hes just given them a bad rep and thrown all the cash in.

BUT they were not doing half as bad without him ! I remember being in the USA when he took over the club, my mate was a Chelsea fan and was legitimatly furious he had taken over.
Even today he will admit (after a few ) that he would have prefered Chelsea without the money regardless of the trophies ! And he was litterally born at Stamford Bridge !
[/quote]

If my memory serves me correctly I''m sure when Ken Bates was in charge at Chelsea they were struggling near the bottom of the prem and their existence was under threat.

[quote user="Gunns NO Legend"]

Domestic honours

[44]

League titles

Cups

European honours

[44]

(Decided who kept the trophy when the competition was replaced by the UEFA Cup)

Leeds compared to Norwich are a massive club , as the meercat would say ...simples.

[/quote]Did you not read anything he wrote...

[quote user="Eadienhucks"]

The argument goes,"its their history" etc ..well then on that basis then villa are bigger than chelsea( how many times have villa won the league and fa cup compared to chelsea) and even teams like sunderland who won a few 100 years ago!  its not the past that counts its the now or the recent past,and i will still admit leeds are big due to their previous prem status a few years ago,but they aint been a massive club since the days of revie!

Same goes for spurs fans who still think they are sooooo big! last time they won the league was the year we were last in the 3rd tier of footy!.....And dont get me started on fan base! when we last won the championship in 04, the estimate was 80,000 outside city hall(i still got the pics) and then the people who lined the streets was estimated at another 15,000..this,to me,was low estimate if you graph the picture and count in blocks of 10 x 10 ... And this was a monday night when a lot of supporters couldnt get there(most wanted it on a sunday)....even going back to the 80`s when support all round the country dwindled, when we got to wembly all the allocation was snapped up within days and the norwich switchboard estimated they had enough enquiries to fill wembley with just norwich!...I dont know about the 02 play offs,how many enquiries etc but again im sure a lot was dissapointed... Leeda where big once,but so was the spice girls, neither gets the same crowds as they used to 

[/quote]

Joined in 2004 and has had 3 posts! that has to be some sort of record

Think of it in terms of how people not supporters of NCFC or Leeds think about it.  The level of shock when Leeds went to League 1, and then did not make it back up immediately is probably much more than it was when we went down.  If we don''t bounce right back and Leeds stays there too, I am sure the rest of the country would be much more surprised at Leeds being there than us.  Also, doesn''t their stadium hold about 15,000 more than Carrow Road?

I thought they had a couple of poor seasons, but then I was never really that interested in Chelsea and it was about 10 years ago... :(

[quote user="kdncfc"]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]I personally think they would have been better off without the KGB scumbag, hes just given them a bad rep and thrown all the cash in.

BUT they were not doing half as bad without him ! I remember being in the USA when he took over the club, my mate was a Chelsea fan and was legitimatly furious he had taken over.
Even today he will admit (after a few ) that he would have prefered Chelsea without the money regardless of the trophies ! And he was litterally born at Stamford Bridge !
[/quote]

If my memory serves me correctly I''m sure when Ken Bates was in charge at Chelsea they were struggling near the bottom of the prem and their existence was under threat.

[/quote]

from 96 to 03, when they were bought they finished in the top 6 every year

Well based on last season we finished several places higher than Leeds in the Football League. Until Saturday that still makes us a bigger club than them. Their fans were ridiculous last time they came to CR going on about what a big club they are. They are living in the past. Despite their greater haul of silverware than ours. It''s impossible to quantify how past glories affect perceptions of the ''size'' of a club as nostalgia is a powerfully felt force in football, yet means little in the present in measurable terms.

Current fan base, average attendance, gross income, wage bill, presence of ''name'' players are aspects that have been mentioned, and probably you would find if you compared the two clubs that there was little to choose between on balance.