Sign in to follow this  
Canarydan82

Maric & Askou are Now CANARIES

Great news - many of us have been holding our breath until it happened.We now now depth of cover everywhere, and of good quality. If we can get them to gel quickly, then we have to fancy at least a play-off place next May.

[quote user="NC"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I don''t think we really want the squad to be any larger, up top we have Holt, Maric, Martin, McDonald and Cureton, all of them offer something different and just about cover all bases[/quote]

Cureton offers nothing and should be replaced!!! The

[/quote]

Philosophically - if he indeed offers nothing, whilst the other strikers offer something, then does he or does he not offer something different?

[*-)][8-)][;)]

[/quote]

12:33.....[:|]

Perhaps the third could be a right winger?We have Hoolahan, Patty and Lappin that can play down the left. Only Whaley as a recognised right winger.

Hypothetical, but.....if we were about to start the season in the Championship how good does this squad rate? Certainly looking at the fact that we have actually made permanent signings this year rather than just a bunch of loans. I''m of the opinion that it would be mid-table/pushing for the playoffs?

Looking at most of the deals placed on 2years + (other than Maric) then I''m assuming Gunn and the management team think that they are capable of cutting it at a higher level.

I think 7-1 on Norwich winning the league 1 might be a good bet!

[quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="NC"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I don''t think we really want the squad to be any larger, up top we have Holt, Maric, Martin, McDonald and Cureton, all of them offer something different and just about cover all bases[/quote]

[/quote]

Philosophically - if he indeed offers nothing, whilst the other strikers offer something, then does he or does he not offer something different?

[*-)][8-)][;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]I believe mathematically, nothing is not something (zero is not a number), therefore the answer is no. Another interesting philosophical question - Phat Canary, exactly how short is your wife? When does a short woman become too short? [8-)]

I don''t think there will be any more arrivals unless players leave, McNally said on Radio Norfolk that a squad of 24 senior players was the aim and I believe we have that now.Welcome to FCR Goran and Jens and may you both be a success.

We''ve been waiting for confirmation of this for what seems like ages! More thanks to CUSDP and his mate. We now have four out-and-out centre backs competing for two spots, plus the youngsters in Spillane (who looks like he''ll be used more at right-back, like he was at Luton last season), Dario Dumic and David Stephens. I''m not sure we need another right-back to be honest, Semmy should be a lot more capable in this league than what he has been in the Championship, Spillane as I''ve already said should provide the competition in that area. I wouldn''t mind seeing another natural right-winger come in as competition for Whaley. Apparently Whaley is a confidence player, so it would be good if someone could slip right into his place when the chips are down.

Goran Maric is one I''m certainly looking forward to seeing eventually, although he obviously has very stiff competition indeed from Grant Holt (or Grolt as Forest fans seem to call him). Still, Gunn might decide to go with two big ''uns up front which wouldn''t be good news for the likes of Martin, Cureton and Daley if he did as that would push them further down the pecking order behind Cody McDonald (when Cody''s 100% fit again).

On paper, the squad is shaping up rather nicely for the season ahead, but games aren''t played on paper.

As more of an aside, having just read it in more depth on the offy site, I''ll be interested to know why Maric is just here on a one-year-deal? Berthel-Askou is on a two-year-deal and both are Bosman frees so they won''t have been that expensive apart from wages and one or two other fees.

Still great news though and I''m looking forward to seeing them both in action very soon!

So it''s thank you CUSDP and his mate, thank you Bryan Gunn, thank you David McNally and thank you John Deehan!

Fantastic news, really is.

I was predicting below play-offs early doors, 2 weeks ago i was predicting 6th/7th and now i reckon it will be 2nd/3rd place.

I think Whaley and McVeigh on right is good enough, Hoolahan and Lappin on left is good enough and Otsemabor and Spillane at right back is good enough.

A few of these players (eg. Hoolhan, Spillane, Lappin and McVeigh) can also play in other positions.

I think we now have 2 in every position with youngsters also covering if needs be in most positions too to make that almost 3.

[quote user="Downloads"]

Fantastic news, really is.

I was predicting below play-offs early doors, 2 weeks ago i was predicting 6th/7th and now i reckon it will be 2nd/3rd place.

I think Whaley and McVeigh on right is good enough, Hoolahan and Lappin on left is good enough and Otsemabor and Spillane at right back is good enough.

A few of these players (eg. Hoolhan, Spillane, Lappin and McVeigh) can also play in other positions.

I think we now have 2 in every position with youngsters also covering if needs be in most positions too to make that almost 3.

[/quote]

Personally I''d prefer WLY to be used as competition for Hoolahan, playing in the hole behind a front two. I think he''s still got the intelligence and the quick feet to play there.

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="NC"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

[/quote]

[*-)][8-)][;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe mathematically, nothing is not something (zero is not a number), therefore the answer is no.

[/quote]

Mathematically zero is a number; in fact, it is a real number.  It is the exact midpoint on the number line right between 1 and -1. You can add, subtract, and multiply with 0 and get real answers. You can divide numbers into zero and get a real answer, zero....

[quote user="NC"][quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="NC"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

[/quote]

[*-)][8-)][;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]I believe mathematically, nothing is not something (zero is not a number), therefore the answer is no. [/quote]

Mathematically zero is a number; in fact, it is a real number.  It is the exact midpoint on the number line right between 1 and -1. You can add, subtract, and multiply with 0 and get real answers. You can divide numbers into zero and get a real answer, zero....

[/quote]Ooops. It has been 25 years since I did Maths A level and it did take 2 goes to get a D. [:$] Not like these days when you get a C just for turning up! [;)]So does that mean we should play Cureton?

Pleased with the depth of the squad and the fact that most of it consists of   ''our'' players, but I''m still a tad concerned about the lack of pace.

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="NC"][quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="NC"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

[/quote]

[*-)][8-)][;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe mathematically, nothing is not something (zero is not a number), therefore the answer is no.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ooops. It has been 25 years since I did Maths A level and it did take 2 goes to get a D. [:$] Not like these days when you get a C just for turning up! [;)]

So does that mean we should play Cureton?

[/quote]

Haha. That would depend whether Gunny and the management decide that the "nothing" JC offers is of more value to the team than the "something" that the other strikers are offering [;)]

[quote user="Shyster"]Pleased with the depth of the squad and the fact that most of it consists of   ''our'' players, but I''m still a tad concerned about the lack of pace.[/quote]

I hasten to add that the acquisition of a quick wide man the likes of Adomah, who can be utilised efficiently on either wing, would have me purchasing a season ticket for the first time in five years. 

But as every keyboard warrior knows, it is always possible to make something out of nothing...[;)]

Now the squad is looking great. All we need is a balanced team being pushed all the way by the lads in the reserves.

Calm management, good coaching and steady progress and we''ll walk League 1.

Oh and welcome to the Madhouse to all the new signings, lets make it a crazy gang and win by laughing all the way!

OTBC

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Shyster"]Pleased with the depth of the squad and the fact that most of it consists of   ''our'' players, but I''m still a tad concerned about the lack of pace.
[/quote]

I hasten to add that the acquisition of a quick wide man the likes of Adomah, who can be utilised efficiently on either wing, would have me purchasing a season ticket for the first time in five years. 
[/quote]

Not only can he play both wings, but also up-front, where we may still lack a bit of pace.

Adomah would be a perfect addition to finish the squad.

Where does this leave Cureton? Seems like the 5th choice striker right now, so will surely go? Russel better be off soon as well!

[quote user="LQ"]But as every keyboard warrior knows, it is always possible to make something out of nothing...[;)]

[/quote]

I''m not making something out of nothing, LQ, I know my football, and I know that every successful team has the option of pacey wide men within their ranks.

[quote user="LQ"]But as every keyboard warrior knows, it is always possible to make something out of nothing...[;)]

[/quote]How dare you! I''m no keyboard warrior! You come on here, with your enormous post count from the official site and your blog and think you''ve got the right ....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......[|-)]

[quote]Adomah would be a perfect addition to finish the squad.[/quote]

Yes, indeed he would, Canary James. I believe we''d have to find something in the region of 700k to fund his purchase, but it''d be money well spent.

I''m sure a reasonable fee for Russel (say £400k) plus someone being stupid enough to give us ANYTHING (even £100k) for Cureton added to both their (Russel and Cureton''s) wages being taken off the books would be enough to make room for a £700k signing on considerably smaller wages. We can hope! Sign Adomah and I''d put money on us winning the league.

We''d get offered 5 times what we paid for him in a couple of years anyway. Almost guaranteed proft with that guy, as he''s got supreme talent for such a young player.

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="NC"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

[/quote]

[*-)][8-)][;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Another interesting philosophical question - Phat Canary, exactly how short is your wife? When does a short woman become too short? [8-)]
[/quote]

The Wife is 5'' 1" i am 6'' 2" and i carry her around in a little back pack (she''s reading this as i type again)and my answer to your question,A women becomes too short when the kitchen fitter puts the cupboards a bit too high and she has to purchase a little set of steps!!

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="LQ"]But as every keyboard warrior knows, it is always possible to make something out of nothing...

[;)]

[/quote]

I''m not making something out of nothing, LQ, I know my football, and I know that every successful team has the option of pacey wide men within their ranks.
[/quote]

Have to agree with Shyster on that, pacey wide men can unlock most defences and in league 1 it would help hugely!!!

Russell we all know wants to leave, would walk him to Burnley for £4-500k. Also think this calls time on Cureton and Stefanovic. Too old, on too much £, not really going to add to the team. Bye!!!!Very pleased with both signings, our squad is looking good.Not only do we have the numbers so we won''t have to rely on ridiculous short term loans, each player offers something slightly different.Upfront, Holt''s our target man, Cody has pace, Martin and Maric somewhere between the two. On the wings we have pace and guile in Whaley and Hoolahan but options in Lappin, McVeigh and Pattison. Central we have Tudor Jones, 6''4" of welsh muscle (sorry couldn''t resist), Hughes and Gill more ball players and Adeyemi who seems to embody all these attributes.In defence, I''m confident Doc, Nelson and Askou will be enough with decent options at full back. In goal, Theo backed up by Rudd and Alnwick is again more than good enough.It reminds me of the season we made the play-offs under Worthy. Not the most gifted team but a good combination of youth, experience and players who knew their part in the team as a whole. Really looking forward to the 8/8 now. Come on you yellows!

[quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="NC"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

[/quote]

[*-)][8-)][;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Another interesting philosophical question - Phat Canary, exactly how short is your wife? When does a short woman become too short? [8-)]
[/quote]

The Wife is 5'' 1" i am 6'' 2" and i carry her around in a little back pack (she''s reading this as i type again)and my answer to your question,A women becomes too short when the kitchen fitter puts the cupboards a bit too high and she has to purchase a little set of steps!!

[/quote]lol...brilliant

[quote user="OTBC"]Russell we all know wants to leave, would walk him to Burnley for £4-500k.
Also think this calls time on Cureton and Stefanovic. Too old, on too much £, not really going to add to the team. Bye!!!!

Very pleased with both signings, our squad is looking good.
Not only do we have the numbers so we won''t have to rely on ridiculous short term loans, each player offers something slightly different.

Upfront, Holt''s our target man, Cody has pace, Martin and Maric somewhere between the two.
On the wings we have pace and guile in Whaley and Hoolahan but options in Lappin, McVeigh and Pattison.
Central we have Tudor Jones, 6''4" of welsh muscle (sorry couldn''t resist), Hughes and Gill more ball players and Adeyemi who seems to embody all these attributes.
In defence, I''m confident Doc, Nelson and Askou will be enough with decent options at full back.
In goal, Theo backed up by Rudd and Alnwick is again more than good enough.

It reminds me of the season we made the play-offs under Worthy. Not the most gifted team but a good combination of youth, experience and players who knew their part in the team as a whole. Really looking forward to the 8/8 now. Come on you yellows!

[/quote]just to add a keeper who organises all the time and looks solid in all departments [Y]  well summed up..roll on 8/8th

[quote user="PhatCanary"]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="LQ"]But as every keyboard warrior knows, it is always possible to make something out of nothing...[;)]

[/quote]

I''m not making something out of nothing, LQ, I know my football, and I know that every successful team has the option of pacey wide men within their ranks.[/quote]

Have to agree with Shyster on that, pacey wide men can unlock most defences and in league 1 it would help hugely!!!

[/quote]I agree with that too!Stupid me for chucking in a tongue in cheek comment following on from Nuff Said and NC''s remarks about something and nothing...[:S]