Sign in to follow this  
S.Yorks Canary

£650k for Clingan - a joke

[quote user="USAcanary"]

A player is worth what people are prepared to pay for him.

If he is that highly thought of, many teams would be in for him..........

They arn''t...........

[/quote]

This is spot on, I think Coventry played a clever if not risky game. By saying they were going to sign him, and then changed their minds they flushed out anyone else who was interested. It turned out no-one else was interested and it now seems as if they have lowered their bid by 100k.

Coventry hold all the cards here, we have been relegated and aren''t in a good place financially, Clingan has one year left on his contract and wants to leave - all these factors point to a quick cheap sell. Norwich could hold out for 1m, but they wouldn''t get it and come the Jan we would be moaning we didn''t take the 650k when we had the chance. We can only take what is offered.

Don''t get me wrong Sammy is a good player, and when he played well, Norwich played well but there were a lot of games he didn''t play well in.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"]Well a famous old player of City and a good friend of Gunny isn''t happy about this as he said Fulham DID offer 3 million for Clingan.[/quote]Do you relly think we''d have turned that down?  No Chance.

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"]Well a famous old player of City and a good friend of Gunny isn''t happy about this as he said Fulham DID offer 3 million for Clingan.[/quote]

Do you relly think we''d have turned that down?  No Chance.
[/quote]

I''m not going into names but he still works there and he told me myself. He also told me the whole Russel saga is bizarre because there has up until last weekend been no interest whatsoever.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"]

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"]Well a famous old player of City and a good friend of Gunny isn''t happy about this as he said Fulham DID offer 3 million for Clingan.[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m not going into names but he still works there and he told me myself. He also told me the whole Russel saga is bizarre because there has up until last weekend been no interest whatsoever.

[/quote]

Sorry ''he told me HIMSELF''

[quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"][quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"]

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"]Well a famous old player of City and a good friend of Gunny isn''t happy about this as he said Fulham DID offer 3 million for Clingan.[/quote]Do you relly think we''d have turned that down?  No Chance.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]I which case I''m impressed - I''d have taken the 3 million as soon as look at you, I''d be sure it would be better spent on a replacement and a striker and ....

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"][quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I which case I''m impressed - I''d have taken the 3 million as soon as look at you, I''d be sure it would be better spent on a replacement and a striker and ....
[/quote]

I can''t commit myself to say this is gospel but the ''wee man'' is as honest as they come and he''s totally baffled by it all.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="USAcanary"]

They arn''t...........

[/quote] This is spot on, I think Coventry played a clever if not risky game. By saying they were going to sign him, and then changed their minds they flushed out anyone else who was interested. It turned out no-one else was interested and it now seems as if they have lowered their bid by 100k. Coventry hold all the cards here, we have been relegated and aren''t in a good place financially, Clingan has one year left on his contract and wants to leave - all these factors point to a quick cheap sell. Norwich could hold out for 1m, but they wouldn''t get it and come the Jan we would be moaning we didn''t take the 650k when we had the chance. We can only take what is offered. Don''t get me wrong Sammy is a good player, and when he played well, Norwich played well but there were a lot of games he didn''t play well in.[/quote]

My guess is that the reason for the reduction of £100K is that we have paid the agents fee. Remember, the deal nearly fell through because Coleman wouldnt pay the agent. All of a sudden the deal has gone ahead, which I assume does not mean that Coleman has chnaged his views regarding the agent. We have soft touch written all over us.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="USAcanary"]

They arn''t...........

[/quote] This is spot on, I think Coventry played a clever if not risky game. By saying they were going to sign him, and then changed their minds they flushed out anyone else who was interested. It turned out no-one else was interested and it now seems as if they have lowered their bid by 100k. Coventry hold all the cards here, we have been relegated and aren''t in a good place financially, Clingan has one year left on his contract and wants to leave - all these factors point to a quick cheap sell. Norwich could hold out for 1m, but they wouldn''t get it and come the Jan we would be moaning we didn''t take the 650k when we had the chance. We can only take what is offered. Don''t get me wrong Sammy is a good player, and when he played well, Norwich played well but there were a lot of games he didn''t play well in.[/quote]

His name has been in the press for a number of weeks. Any club with money knows he is available for less than 800K yet.............no interest from anyone but Coventry or Leicester. (and Coventry was prepared to walk away over agent fees)

So we are led to believe Fulham were prepared to pay 3 million 7 months ago but don''t want to pay 700K now. LOL........ OK.

He is worth roughly what someone is prepared to pay on the open market.

The fact he only has 1 year left on his contract is lost on some in this thread.............

[quote user="S.Yorks Canary"]

on EDP due to go through this week.

£650k is a joke unless there are sell on clauses that are realistic ie we will get some cash from them.

Would have rather kept him than sell on for that.......

[/quote]Yeah, let''s keep him for another season, demotivated and unhappy, and then he can leave for free at the end of it.  Genius!

It was clear by mid Jan that CLingan was no longer a city player - good riddance. 

And if the club did turn down £3m they were absolutely mad to turn it down.  He was never worth that. 

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="S.Yorks Canary"]

on EDP due to go through this week.

£650k is a joke unless there are sell on clauses that are realistic ie we will get some cash from them.

Would have rather kept him than sell on for that.......

[/quote]

Yeah, let''s keep him for another season, demotivated and unhappy, and then he can leave for free at the end of it.  Genius!

[/quote]

Exactly.......... its not like he has a track record of walking away from a club for free when his contract is up.......................  oh!

We would in effect be paying 1 millon for 1 year from him.......

That money could bring in 3 or 4 decent players who we actually own......... (lets not forget Clingan was a free agent himself.)