Sign in to follow this  
S.Yorks Canary

£650k for Clingan - a joke

I will also be sad to see Clingan go as he was the true ''Player of the Season'' last year, but I also see that it is realistic that he only has a year left on his contract. I also hope that OTJ will be similarly secure in the holding role whilst perhaps being more creative going forward. Time will tell, but if the 650k can be used to bring in other players like Lee or similar, then I think it makes sense.

On another side, does anyone know whether the Spurs youngsters are still around on trial? I thought they showed promise and filled some gaps in the City youngsters coming up from the Youth Team. Any news?

A good deal if you ask me. Another one out that doesn''t want to be here. That some chaps on here are likening Sammy Clingan (a decent championship player) to Fabien Delph (one of the best prospects around at the moment) is the real joke!    

£650k for someone we got on a free & likely on a decent enough wage is not bad business

Link that to his post Xmas performances when he had his head turned by Fulham interest & he was very much a below par performer more often than not

So long Mr Clingan, you lack on dominance in midfield will not be missed

[quote user="motley7"]A good deal if you ask me. Another one out that doesn''t want to be here. That some chaps on here are likening Sammy Clingan (a decent championship player) to Fabien Delph (one of the best prospects around at the moment) is the real joke!    [/quote]

Ive seen Delph play and because he plays for Leeds he gets "bigged up". He''s not a bad lad but no better than Clingan.

Last year Clingan was immense. He played with numerous crappy partners (Fozzy and Russell) and had to carry them.

I cant believe that people think he wont be missed!

2 facts. He doesnt want to leave and it was Bolton who enquired for him and not Fulham [:)]

The way I see it is if the fee is £650,000 then that''s the value of the player at the present time. If he is worth 1.5m then surely another club will come in and gazump Coventry with a cheeky 1m bid. It''s no good holding out for a fee that nobody is going to pay.

Of course it could be that a host of other clubs are bidding 1m+ but Norwich are refusing under the premise that they only value the player at 650,000 but I doubt even Cluck''s G10 would believe that.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Delia Out"]He''s worth at least £750,000 to £1m [:@][/quote]

no he isn''t

1. he is not actually that good.

2. he has spent most of his career playing in League 1 bar the odd season

3. he''s not even a Northern Ireland regular.

we signed him on a free so whatever money we make is profit..... and lets face it if clinkers was that good there would be more than 1 club in for him and we could entice a bidding war.. there isn''t and we can''t...

its a good transfer fee and im happy with it.

jas :)

[/quote]Erm, yes he is?

We Sold Marshy For £450,000. So Clingan Should Be Sold For Double That! And He''s An International!!!  [:@] I Wonder How Much Leicester Would Offer?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Delia Out"]He''s worth at least £750,000 to £1m [:@][/quote]

no he isn''t

1. he is not actually that good.

2. he has spent most of his career playing in League 1 bar the odd season

3. he''s not even a Northern Ireland regular.

we signed him on a free so whatever money we make is profit..... and lets face it if clinkers was that good there would be more than 1 club in for him and we could entice a bidding war.. there isn''t and we can''t...

its a good transfer fee and im happy with it.

jas :)

ive never read so much bs as those three points.

1. he is a top championship player

2. every one has to start somewhere, hes only 25 ffs!

3. yes he is

[/quote]

I do not think he is worth stacks but do think he is a good championship player and as such 650k is a bit below the mark even with only a year left on his contract.

Hopefully there are add ons and hopefully the cash will be invested back into the team!

[quote user="Jumpers for Goalposts"]If it''s true, it''s not bad business for a player that we signed on a free. Just hope that some of it will be given to Gunn to bring a few more players in.[/quote]

for a player we were able to get 3mil for in jan!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Jumpers for Goalposts"]If it''s true, it''s not bad business for a player that we signed on a free. Just hope that some of it will be given to Gunn to bring a few more players in.[/quote]

[/quote]

3million was only a rumor there was no truth in that amount

[quote user="Jen_Jen (:"]We Sold Marshy For £450,000. So Clingan Should Be Sold For Double That! And He''s An International!!!  [:@] I Wonder How Much Leicester Would Offer?ote]

they want lita!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

[quote user="motley7"]A good deal if you ask me. Another one out that doesn''t want to be here. That some chaps on here are likening Sammy Clingan (a decent championship player) to Fabien Delph (one of the best prospects around at the moment) is the real joke!    [/quote]

Ive seen Delph play and because he plays for Leeds he gets "bigged up". He''s not a bad lad but no better than Clingan.

Last year Clingan was immense. He played with numerous crappy partners (Fozzy and Russell) and had to carry them.

I cant believe that people think he wont be missed!

2 facts. He doesnt want to leave and it was Bolton who enquired for him and not Fulham [:)]

[/quote]I dont think anyone is saying that he wont be missed but there are a few big issues here.1) He is out of contract next summer2) He is a higher earner3) He wants to play at a higher levelPeople saying that he should stay whatever are crazy. We already had Croft leave for nothing when he would have commanded a reasonable fee - at least as much as we paid for him, and funnily enough he had more clubs sniff around him than Clingan seems to have done.My point of view in this regards is thus - offer the player an additional one year contract - if he doesnt even consider it you have to put him up for sale. If no bids come in meeting that valuation then maybe you keep him till Jan and take anything you can get for him. The only problem with that is that he is free to talk to who he wants to in January and he could refuse to leave and sign for nothing in the summer. The last half of the season could see inconsistant performances as he has his mind on the next part of his career rather than the task at hand.People bang on about not retaining good players and selling them when we dont have to - right now if we want to get a fee for him we have to sell him, I don''t think we really do have a choice on it.At least not the same choice as we did in our so called glory days when we sold Sutton et al.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Jen_Jen (:"]We Sold Marshy For £450,000. So Clingan Should Be Sold For Double That! And He''s An International!!!  [:@] I Wonder How Much Leicester Would Offer?ote]

they want lita!

[/quote]

Coventry''s Championship rivals Leicester had been linked with an 11th hour approach after Coleman''s hard line stance!

Would have liked a bit more personally but don''t think its too bad of a deal.As long as the money goes into signing a target man

we all knew it was about£700k when it fell through last week so why is evreyone acting all shocked, their are some people on this board that moan on evrey post. 700k is a good price wish he wasn''t going to coventry though.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

3million was only a rumor there was no truth in that amount

[/quote]

there not often all that wrong though!

ronaldo right !!

A 650K profit on a free player sounds ok, although I bet we gave him a whacking sin-on fee, so profit is probably closer to 500K.Thats enough for a bid on a serious striker at this level though surely....

[quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]

[quote]Just hope that some of it will be given to Gunn to bring a few more players in.[/quote]

I hope ALL of it goes to Gunn to bring in new players.

[/quote]

It won''t all go to Gunn. Norwich are currently living beyond their means and need to cut back, which we mean money from transfers going into running costs. It is what happens for lower league clubs and to expect different is foolish. It would be great for Gunn to get all the cash, but he will probably get about 50% - 75% and similar back from saved wages. Here''s hoping he spends it wisely...

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]

[quote]Just hope that some of it will be given to Gunn to bring a few more players in.[/quote]

I hope ALL of it goes to Gunn to bring in new players.

[/quote]

It won''t all go to Gunn. Norwich are currently living beyond their means and need to cut back, which we mean money from transfers going into running costs. It is what happens for lower league clubs and to expect different is foolish. It would be great for Gunn to get all the cash, but he will probably get about 50% - 75% and similar back from saved wages. Here''s hoping he spends it wisely...

[/quote]

You are having a laugh.

Last year we made net profits on players of £3.6M, but still had a £2m loss. With a reduction in turnover of £5M plus, we will need profits from Marshall, Lewis, Clingan and Russell just to pay for the clubs overheads. As for the rebate money .......

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

Sometimes people just need to take off their yellow-tinted spectacles. He''s a League One player with a year left on his contract and, although he''s a good player and I''ll be sorry to see him go, he''s not exactly world class. As someone has already said, it''s Coventry bidding for him, not Man City and not even a Newcastle or a Reading.

I''d love to get more than £650k but wouldn''t expect too much more. If the board are as good as their word, this should go straight into Gunn''s transfer pot and get us another two or three players.

[/quote]

If this money goes back into the transfer pot I will walk through the city centre in crotchless panties shouting "The money really hasn''t been accounted for".

Expect nothing but freebies ladies and gentlemen.........Our spending spree stops at OTJ and Theklitos.

Oh and £650k is a disgrace for a player of Clingans Calibre. We would have almost certainly got £1m had we not been relegated. Given our current league status we should be snapping Coventrys hand off!!

Am i right in thinking matty patty cost us £750''000 if so then £650''000 for clingon is a bit of a joke. Also if we let clingan go for that what we likely to get for Russell?? Not alot!

A player is worth what people are prepared to pay for him.

If he is that highly thought of, many teams would be in for him..........

They arn''t...........