Sign in to follow this  
Yellowfuture

Rebates...yet another poor business decision!

The fact is LQ that a lot of people wouldn''t have renewed so early had there been no promise of a relegation rebate.

[quote user="cityangel"]The fact is LQ that a lot of people wouldn''t have renewed so early had there been no promise of a relegation rebate.[/quote]

I dont think this is the case but I have no evidence to support this however other than the people I speak to, if  your correct cityangel then clearly the strategy of rebates was a good one, personally I have my doubts and see it as another example of poor business by the Club. 

Firstly I have no idea what the SCG has to do with any of this. All of you having a pop about it may like to know that the current structure and remit of the SCG is under discussion and has been for a while in an attempt to reach an agreement. Some want quite radical change (you can put me in that group) whilst others do not and favour the status quo. With the recent departures at Board level I''m guessing that the radical change is going to be easier to push through, although the loss of experience when it comes to many of the working groups shouldn''t be underestimated.Secondly CA I''m sorry but I just don''t believe that "a lot of people wouldn''t have renewed..."The simple fact is that, as others have said, they renew early because the cost is cheaper. Although the rebate was offered I don''t remember hearing anyone say at the time that it was a major part of their decision making. The fact is that the first deadline date saw renewals at their second highest in the Club''s history - last year was the highest. The fact is that the price is lower and the DD scheme makes football affordable to a massive number of people. I have no idea how things stand now but the most ironic point is that in the week following relagation at The Valley three times more people (a number not far short of those who attended St Andrews Hall no less) bought season tickets than handed them back. Those people paid the top whack with no chance of a rebate. What does that tell you?I''m getting fed up now with being told people are ''cheesed off'' with me telling them what to do. I have absolutely zero influence over anyone. All I can do is offer my views on what I intend to do, as each of you do - for each of us it''s a matter of choice. I''ve simply spelt out my reasoning. Nothing wrong with that?As an aside over the last 24 hours I''ve had 8 emails from fans who read this site. All of them said "thanks for putting forward a different argument". 5 said that they had had a rethink because of something that had been said and wouldn''t be taking the rebate, 2 said they were still undecided and was waiting for the details to come through from the Club and 1 said that they were enjoying the debate but would still be taking it. All fair enough. If I''ve added to the discussion and perhaps made a few people think things through a little that''s all I can do as a fan.

As far as I am aware the club has said absolutely nothing about asking fans to waive the rebate. The only public comment I can find is:“As far as the season ticket rebate is concerned, the club recognises

how important this issue is and will be contacting season ticket

holders with further information in the near future."Which gives no indication one way or another. It is quite possible this kind of debate has had some influence on the content of that impending letter from the directors to season ticket holders.

That''s exactly the point I made Purple. I''m sure a letter to ST holders is forthcoming and I''m sure the club would like us not to claim the rebate. But all the fuss about the club making an issue of it is a total MYTH[:O](so far[;)] )

But I honestly believe the biggest deciding factor in the early renewals is the interest free credit 12 month payments. That is the one thing that gives the club affordable family football. But a lot of posters on this board don''t like that. However, especially this season, that is a god send to many people and is a far bigger advantage than the 20% rebate. Andy Cullen got it right, Â£1 a day is affordable where as £360 in one hit is not.

Sorry, Nutty, the team of glamorous assistants I employ to trawl through message boards missed that post of yours! `But, to be serious, if I''ve read your post right, some fans don''t like the interest-free credit system. Why is that? Because they don''t like the system per se, which I can''t really understand, or because they don''t like it being an attractive option which tempts fans to renew when they should (so I imagine the argument goes) be putting pressure on the board by staying away?

I think what Nutty is saying is that some fans don''t like ''affordable family football''.It makes us too nice and it should be stopped so that only men between the ages of 16 and 45 are allowed to go!

Have the casual ticket prices for the new season been published yet? If not there is no guide price to go by.

We keep talking of rebates is that a fair description or should it be "price adjustment" to match the level and quality we will be at.

It''s less emotive and does not seem like the club are giving away anything. Surely they are only bringing the cost of a ticket down to the appropriate level.

After all the cost to the club in providing the entertainment will be considerably less (we assume)

[quote user="LQ"]I think what Nutty is saying is that some fans don''t like ''affordable family football''.It makes us too nice and it should be stopped so that only men between the ages of 16 and 45 are allowed to go![/quote]Given the choice between affordable and competitive, what fan wouldn''t take competitive ?  Is it possible to have an affordable club that can compete at any serious level ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="LQ"]I think what Nutty is saying is that some fans don''t like ''affordable family football''.

It makes us too nice and it should be stopped so that only men between the ages of 16 and 45 are allowed to go!
[/quote]

Given the choice between affordable and competitive, what fan wouldn''t take competitive ? 

Is it possible to have an affordable club that can compete at any serious level ?
[/quote]

Of course it is Blah. We had one under this board a few years ago.

In the light of LQ''s explanation, perhaps the club should employ a kind of Logan''s Run policy, whereby fans are killed off (perhaps being "retired to Hemsby" would be the appropriate euphemism) as soon as they reach 46.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="LQ"]I think what Nutty is saying is that some fans don''t like ''affordable family football''.It makes us too nice and it should be stopped so that only men between the ages of 16 and 45 are allowed to go![/quote]Given the choice between affordable and competitive, what fan wouldn''t take competitive ?  Is it possible to have an affordable club that can compete at any serious level ?[/quote]

Of course it is Blah. We had one under this board a few years ago.

[/quote]I guess the answer is to get the buckets out and have another whip-round, or if you like, "share issue" then ?  That''s what we did around the time we were doing well...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]In the light of LQ''s explanation, perhaps the club should employ a kind of Logan''s Run policy, whereby fans are killed off (perhaps being "retired to Hemsby" would be the appropriate euphemism) as soon as they reach 46.[/quote]

Excellent, that''s me and the board gone !

Typical bolshei femanist approach. LQ will be wanting a vote next[:D]

Sorry Butler, did you say something?I''ve been concentrating so hard on the ironing this morning I may have missed it...[:P]

[quote user="LQ"]Sorry Butler, did you say something?

I''ve been concentrating so hard on the ironing this morning I may have missed it...

[:P]

[/quote]

It''s a good job the phone didn''t ring then or you would have steamed your ear!

But it is good that you know your place[;)]

I have always put women on a pedestal, it''s far easier to see their legs!

(only kidding LQ some of my best friends are women in fact my mother was one)

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="The Butler"]

some of my best friends are women in fact my mother was one)

[/quote]

A likely story ! [;)]
[/quote]

Which kind of reminded me of "Some Mothers Do ''Av ''Em."

Nutty - I await the letter from the club regarding the rebate, and I will apologise unreservedly to all and sundry if what they say in the said letter does not contradict what I was told by a senior member of the ticket office, responding to a letter I wrote seeking clarification of how the direct debit system worked. I was assured that I needed to do nothing as the club would automatically make the adjustments to my direct debit payments should the rebate become due.

LQ - You seem more than happy to bash NCISA for  some reason, I am not a big fan of theirs but as I said in my post at least their committee is democratically elected by their membership and at least they organised a public meeting, open to ALL fans to attend if they so wish. You have yet to tell me 1) How the SCG is chosen/elected etc and 2) How they have represented the fans views, as I say in all my years as a season ticket holder I am not aware of a member of the SCG ever canvassing my opinion. The "cheesed off" comment was not aimed at you, but at all the posters telling fans such as myself that we should waive our rebate and if we do not we will be  responsible for the club going into administration, which quite frankly is the biggest load of old codswallop I have ever heard. The fact that you appear to have taken a recommendation as an instruction is worrying, or do you have another agenda?

And in reply to the OP, I do not think it is a poor business decision, I think it is a very clever marketing ploy, and here is why, using "data" provided by various posters on various threads:

Assume that the average price of a 2009/2010 ST is £150 per head before the offered rebate.

Assume 15% ST holders would not have renewed their ST if the rebate had not been made.

13500 x £150 = £2.02M

18000 x £120 = £2.16M

So there is only a "shortfall" if you assume that all 18,000 ST holders would have renewed if no rebate was offered. Even if you say only a 1000 fans would not of renewed if no rebate was offered you are only looking at a shortfall of £390K, hence my stance regarding all of those posters that suggest administration is an absolute if we do not hand our rebate over.

On top of that the club are now going to "write to us" about the rebate. As I say a very clever marketing ploy.....

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]With such lack of ambition from Windbag Jones, the club doesn''t deserve to keep the rebate. Consolidation is what clubs aspire to on promotion to the Premier League, not demotion to League 1.[/quote]

Well said or for Lappinitup: BOARD OUT!

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="LQ"]Would an extra £10 or £20 a year put you off going? That puts the per match price up by less than a pound but would have generated the best part of £2 million over the last 4 years.

As far as the SCG is concerned I''m not on the pricing working group so have had no input into what goes on there (probably for the best [;)] )

[/quote]

TAKE THE REBATE...... this is the only voice that the board will listen to!

Stuff the SCG....

[/quote]

Exactly!

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="LQ"]Sorry Butler, did you say something?

I''ve been concentrating so hard on the ironing this morning I may have missed it...

[:P]

[/quote]

It''s a good job the phone didn''t ring then or you would have steamed your ear!

[/quote]

Lol!

Regardless of whether rebates are a good or bad thing, a quick question if I may...Less money in the club equals... :
  • a) A smaller playing staff budget
  • b) A larger playing staff budget 
Now, can anyone help me with this one because I''m having a little trouble.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

LQ - You seem more than happy to bash NCISA for  some reason, I am not a big fan of theirs but as I said in my post at least their committee is democratically elected by their membership and at least they organised a public meeting, open to ALL fans to attend if they so wish. You have yet to tell me 1) How the SCG is chosen/elected etc and 2) How they have represented the fans views, as I say in all my years as a season ticket holder I am not aware of a member of the SCG ever canvassing my opinion.

The "cheesed off" comment was not aimed at you, but at all the posters telling fans such as myself that we should waive our rebate and if we do not we will be  responsible for the club going into administration, which quite frankly is the biggest load of old codswallop I have ever heard. The fact that you appear to have taken a recommendation as an instruction is worrying, or do you have another agenda?

[/quote]

Well said or for Lappinitup: BOARD OUT!

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

The trouble is that the SCG is not an elected body, how they can say they represent the fans views is beyond me.

[/quote]

LQ.,

Given the poll on this site about claiming the rebate and the vote at St.Andrews Hall last Thursday,what opinion are you going to express to the decision makers at Norwich City Football Club with regard to the rebate?   The fans or yours?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Regardless of whether rebates are a good or bad thing, a quick question if I may...

Less money in the club equals... :

[/quote]

or c) We run a budget that provides a surplus in order to make the repayment of the capital element of the Loan Notes.

If Marks & Spencer have a bad year do you think they ask their customers to give them £50 as they enter the store!!

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Regardless of whether rebates are a good or bad thing, a quick question if I may...

Less money in the club equals... :

[/quote]

Thats why  a  rebate shouldnt have been offered.