Sign in to follow this  
blacko

Leon McKenzie

I would be interested to see what you all think of him. Personally I think he will do really well in the Premiership, I think he has a real eye for goal and will score a hatfull.

Last season, considering his number of starts, he had a fantastic goals to games ratio and he would be one of my first choice strikers.

What do you think?

i agree, he can become great, like javis

Have rated him since he was at Peterborough and believe we should have got him earlier than we did. Have seen nothing to change my opinion of him and think he could be one of our greats in the Premier.

I think he''s got a quiet cockiness about him that could really help him do well next season. He has a knack of being in the right place at the right time and he won''t be overawed by the challenge to come, I believe. Go Leon!

He is the only genuine goalpoacher at the club and the only one we''ve had for years. When he comes on he always seems to be in the right place at the right time. If he gets regular starts then he will score a few. Can''t see him getting the nod ahead of Hucks, Bentley and Svenno though, especially if Nigel brings in another striker as he is rumoured to be trying to do.

Afraid I have to disagree with most of you on this one. Leon is a good 1st div striker and a below-average premiership striker. Yes, he''s a poacher but he doesn''t have that extra somethign that you need to be successful in the Premiership. All this talk of him getting 15+ goals in the premiership is quite surprising. Consider some of the names in that region last season:

Saha 20
Van Nistelrooy 20
Forssell 17
Anelka 16
Angel 16
Owen 16
Yakubu 16
Beattie 14
Keane 14

I would take ANY of those strikers over McKenzie any day and I think most of you would agree. He has more learning to do -- he seems to be caught offside an awful lot in situations where he should be able to stay on. That, along with his inability to create for himself will be punished in the Premiership and place more pressure on the rest of the team to score goals.

Frankly, I''m concerned about both Matt and Leon. I don''t think either is up to premiership scratch. If you think of our formation, you have two choices to put up front alongside either Matt/Leon -- Hux or Bentley (a Leon/Matt combo would be a recipe for problems). Hux/Bentley is likely to play more like a Rooney a la Euro2004 than an out and out striker....play slightly behind 1 solitary front man and create chances for the man upfront. I don''t think either Matt or Leon is good enough to be that solo figure up front. Thats why I am thrilled that Worthy seems to be casting around for another striker.

But assuming that you have that type of combo up front, the midfield becomes Brennan/Safri, Holt, Francis and Bentley/Hux. That will do fine for now. The back up of Mulryne and Safri/Brennan will be crucial but McVeigh will find it challenging given his size (not impossible for him to do well but he''s not Wright-Phillips). Henderson and Jarvis are not ready yet but may contribute later in the season.

I''ve been a Canaries fan since 1979 and I want them to succeed as badly as all of you but in the interests of not convincing each other on this board about the brilliance of certain members of our squad, lets be rational and be appropriately critical. I think Worthy knows this and is acting accordingly and not hurriedly.

Canary in New York.

I have to agree with all of the comments here - Leon is the clubs only genuine goalscorer but have doubts whether NW will pick a front line of Leon & Hux. Personally I think that is our best pair as long as we get a passing central midfielder into the squad.

With the squad as it is I suspect Sven & Hux will be the starting line up limiting the number of goals Leon can score.

My prediction is that our top goal scorer will get between 9-12 goals only - and that is likely to be Hux. I think that is a good total and if he gets between 12-15 we will have had an exceptional season.

OTBC

having spoken to numerous posh fans, seen the lad play and knowing him too. i believe that he has the ability and attitude to cut it in the prem, he is a class act and now that he has settled in i would expect big things from him.

possibility of hucks on the left, bentley on the right with sven and mckenzie up top

We will be taken for granted next season. We are already seen as relegation fodder in the press who count Delia and Hucks as our only attributes. This is in our favour, to be underestimated and to have the ability to surprise are super characteristics to have, being a factor in the reason why so many promoted teams stay up in their first season.

More substance is required in the second season when other teams have sussed your players out (the old cliche about the second year being harder is true).

Leon is one of a group of players at the Club who are "unknowns" outside Norfolk who will make their mark on the Premiership next season, others maybe Drury, Francis, Greeno and Holty. I think Leon has the ability to score 10 next season and rate him as one of the brightest prospects at the Club.

For me Leon already has the right attitude and a big slug of self belief. Both will carry him forwards.
Ability - well he''s still learning, but don''t be surprised on this score either - he quickly made the transition last year.

Biggest issue for Leon will be service from midfield - he can''t flourish if they don''t provide. Still need to have some other options here to compliment what we already have.

How can we know? I like him, he holds the ball up well and generally menaces defences with his pace and ability to turn a player. He''s barely played in the Prem so we don''t really know how far he can go.

Put it this way, players with a lesser goalscoring ratio than him (1 in 2 wasn''t it?) have been snapped up from the 1st div in the past and been successful in the Prem. There are also those that haven''t of course.... maybe he''s the next Stead.