Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Marshall has no competition!

[quote user="canariesaregods"]

how can a mis-kick be blamed on complacency? It was a genuine mistake, look how well he has played the rest of the season and in the rest of the game yesterday. Wizard youre a mug, with an inflated opinion of your view. What do you do apart from post on here?

[/quote]

Sadly, this is one of his typical errors. We conceded goals earlier this season due to the same error, and remember him doing a silmilar one against Tottenham, although that didn''t cost us. One would think a big healthy goal-kick is something even non-league ''keepers can do...

Yeah but how many good saves does he make? How many time has he come to our rescue? Being a shot-stopper isn''t the only part of being a good goalie i know but i think you''re jumping on his back a bit quick after a mistake. Just you watch the championship and see just how many goals are scored by keeper errors, i think we have a very good one here, one that has been touted by many on here as a future premiership keeper

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="canariesaregods"][quote user="1st Wizard"]Seriously Mr T, I''ve seen, regardless of how, every single mess up and good save from Marshall all season, replayed them 4 or 5 times too, and he cannot command his area, defend corners confidently or distribute the ball well.

I have agreed already that he''s a great shot stopper, but his game needs more than the spectacular to cut it with  me.

[/quote]

I''m not getting at you here but, if you''re not at the game and are watching higlights how can you form a fair opinion on his all-round play? Highligts of Norwich as everyone knows are minimal so there is really no evidence to say he can''t command his area, defend corners or distribute well. I''ll admit his kicking is sometimes poor, in total i think you''ll struggle to find too many better in the championship

[/quote]

Basso and Lonergan looked streets above Marshall this season at Carrow Road.. so thats 2...

jas :)

Lonergan should have stopped Kennedy''s goal... But yes i think Preston''s no1 is a goood keeper... As is marshall. Problem is i think he is too young at the mo. Marshall was at fault for Preston''s first goal too. His kicking needs to be improved but this will come in time. I think as Norwich fans we have been spoilt for keepers.... Gunn rarely made big mistakes... (i disagree that he made at least one a season) Green was a great city keeper ( made the odd mistake re against forest... ) 

I think Marshall is okay but needs a few more seasons to get to what we are used to when it comes to norwichs standard of keepers.

[/quote]

When I watch City play I expect the following from our keeper:

1) A good shot stopper

2)Confident with crosses

3)A good kicker/distributor of the ball

and 4) Commanding in his area

All the above lead to a more confident back row.

Sadly, apart from being an excellent shot stopper Marshall is sadly lacking in the other three. It''s all very well saying that he has saved us on a number of occasions this season but I can''t help but feel we could do better. Perhaps in the next season Declan Rudd might make the grade? (even Jed Steer looks a bit special.

Tony.

I''d like Marshall to be benched but who do we play alternatively? I don''t rate Nelson at all and to play Rudd in our position is a risk to say the least.

Another "Its everyone elses fault except Cureton''s" post I see.

Marshall has made some big mistakes this season and cost us points. Granted.

Now its your turn - admit Cureton missed two sitters, it cost us points and it was no-one elses fault except his own. Give it a try.

Marshall is no worse than the rest of the team, including Cureton, all of them are inconsistent.

If you''re comparing Cureton to Marshall, think how poor our defence is, most keepers would struggle not to make mistakes in front of ours. How many times did they get past our defence? Although I accept yesterdays wasn''t. Jamie has missed chance after chance - there is no way you can say he is any less responsible than Marshall.

If Marshall hadn''t made the mistake yesterday maybe we wouldn''t have lost to Bristol City, equally had Cureton not missed the sitter against Southampton we probably would have won that!

Both are guilty, but equally Marshall''s kept us in countless games this year - when Curo''s started he hasn''t kept us in games.

But Marshall''s save late in the second half was excellent, and gets little credit for it..

[quote user="Tony Moore"]

1) A good shot stopper

2)Confident with crosses

3)A good kicker/distributor of the ball

and 4) Commanding in his area

[/quote]Maybe if Marshall had all these attributes he would be at a bigger club playing in the prem.The reason someone is at Carrow Road is probably because they are not good enough to play in the Prem otherwise they would be. 

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

So he''s become complacent in my opinion.

He''s cost us a fair few points this season, far more than JC has, and he needs to be made to fight for his position. He can''t command his area, he doesn''t like crosses and his kicking at times is just plain Durso!

A good shot stopper let down by the basics.

[/quote]

DURSO: Have you coined a new synonym for shi£ HERE, Wiz? As in, he''s "just plain Durso."

Get your gloves on, get your gloves on, get your gloves on Bryan Gunn, will you drop crap David Marshall and send him to the scum!

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]I''d like Marshall to be benched but who do we play alternatively? I don''t rate Nelson at all and to play Rudd in our position is a risk to say the least.
[/quote]

I was about to suggest loaning Gabor Kiraly from Burnley, but he''s just been loaned out to Bayer Leverkusen... Having said that, Marshall is a good keeper, but competition is essential in every position, and Nelson seems to lack that quality.

[quote user="Bryan Bryan Gunn"]without marshall we were long gone last season !![/quote]

consider this then.. with Marshall, had we not of beaten Colchester, we would of been down...

This Season, with Marshall, we are still in a position to go down... he isnt the root of all the problems at the club.. but like i said.. a decent goalkeeper will remove mistakes from the defence too...

think about it....

jas :)

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]I''d like Marshall to be benched but who do we play alternatively? I don''t rate Nelson at all and to play Rudd in our position is a risk to say the least.
[/quote]

No more of a risk than perservering with gaffe-a-game Marshall though.