Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Attempted hatchet job on Cullum.

Seems like a load of waffle re-hashing the obvious in slightly oblique, melodramatic language. Sounds a lot like most of your posts BBB. And its content is pretty much what your mate Cluck has been saying since June.

"In the eyes of Delia and Michael Wynn Jones, they passed the ''local'' test; they did ''community''; they ''got'' Norfolk. And the way things are done in this unique corner of the world"

What is he on?  What is there to ''get'' about Norfolk or Norwich?  We want a decent football team - not that tough to figure out...

All this talk of ''community'' aswell.  As if that makes us somehow unique, every club participates in community work...  same old tired myths about us being a family club and nicer than everyone else.  [|-)]

"And the way things are done in this unique corner of the world"

Anyone else find that vaguely patronising?

It seems to be the eternal cop out in Norfolk, reminds me of an old ''Friends'' episode when, whenever he is accused of something, Joey explains it away by saying "I''m Joey" and everyone accepts it and thats that.

"...this is Norfolk..." Oh, thats OK then. Yes, it is a special part of the country and I love my village, Norfolk and Norwich. But you can''t hide behind a perceived way of doing things or attitude to justify inaction or lack of change. Low marks Master Waghorn-are you in the building?

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]

Seems like a load of waffle re-hashing the obvious in slightly oblique, melodramatic language. Sounds a lot like most of your posts BBB. And its content is pretty much what your mate Cluck has been saying since June.

[/quote]

.......the obvious........

What''s that?

One love.

To the world!

OTBC

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

"And the way things are done in this unique corner of the world"

Anyone else find that vaguely patronising?

It seems to be the eternal cop out in Norfolk, reminds me of an old ''Friends'' episode when, whenever he is accused of something, Joey explains it away by saying "I''m Joey" and everyone accepts it and thats that.

"...this is Norfolk..." Oh, thats OK then. Yes, it is a special part of the country and I love my village, Norfolk and Norwich. But you can''t hide behind a perceived way of doing things or attitude to justify inaction or lack of change. Low marks Master Waghorn-are you in the building?

[/quote]

Not at all patronising.  I think you can read the wrong thing into his statement quite easily if you don''t read it the way (I believe) it is intended.  Yes, we are unique in this corner of the world, and yes many other places think they are too, which is what makes us all different.  But in Norfolk other people (foreign types from west, north and south) tend to think that we are both slow and stupid, which we of course allow them to believe for as long as we think it necessary, and for as long as we can use it to our advantage.  Have you never played dumb for a few hands of poker or been the shark at the pool table by letting them win a couple first?

Rick Waghorn

King of Deals versus the Queen of Culinary Hearts. The re-match starts right now.

Tues 2 Sep 08

It promises to be a fascinating return match - the ''King Of Deals'' versus the ''Queen Of Culinary Hearts''.

And how each side plays it now that the moderating influence of the Turners has gone is going to be intriguing.

For that was one of their biggest assets; that they had a foot in both camps; old and new.

That whilst their Central Trust ''up-bringing'' was clearly something that would have seen them walk the same corridors of corporate power that Peter Cullum will have walked for all his adult life, the Turners will also have picked up petrol from a forecourt in Drayton and will have seen a Pink ''Un bill in their travels; they might even have been quizzed by a Taverham shop assistant as to why on earth anyone ever bought David Strihavka...

They bridged two worlds; one ''City''; one Norfolk and ''country''. That was always why they ticked so many of the inheritance boxes; that''s why they made sense.

In the eyes of Delia and Michael Wynn Jones, they passed the ''local'' test; they did ''community''; they ''got'' Norfolk. And the way things are done in this unique corner of the world.

From the very outset, the club''s current owners have seen none of that in the Towergate chief; the ''deal maker''s deal maker'' has none of that in his armoury - however much his schoolboy appearance at Carrow Road makes for great PR.

Andrew and Sharon Turner were the bridge that crossed the great cultural divide that separates the Smiths on one bank, Cullum on the other.

Without them the two sides will eye eachother ever more warily; with ever greater suspicion as the question of the Canaries'' long-term future is thrown straight back into the melting pot again by this morning''s sudden resignation of the heirs apparent.

Cullum''s next move will be very, very telling.

Under the ''Wall Street'' rules that applies to the takeover king of the boutique insurance market, there will have been sly smirks and high fives to greet today''s announcement from Carrow Road; the Smiths position is weak, vulnerable, ripe for a renewed approach. City''s winless start to the new campaign merely leaves them on their knees; with no way out now that the Turners have bowed out.

Time to apply a little more of a squeeze... 

That, I suspect, may prove to be Cullum''s undoing. Wynn Jones may be the son of a Harleston rector, but he is Oxford-educated and ''the network'' that he developed there some 45 years ago may well have developed into some very big players in the City; people who have seen the Cullums of this world come and go for a generation.

In short, don''t expect Delia to walk quietly. Or give the ''King Of Deals'' an easy ride.

The fact remains that if Cullum refuses to budge from that original ''£20 million for players plus complete control'' offer of last autumn then we''re about to go round the same block as last summer; that why should Delia and Michael - and, indeed, every small shareholder at the football club - give their shares away for nothing to a billionaire?

That''s the immovable object that will continue to shape and under-pin every twist and turn that comes over the next fortnight. ''You''re a billionaire, why should we give you our club for nothing?''

And that''s not an unreasonable question.

That''s the question that Cullum''s banks of PR suits have to wrestle with; how do they get their man in with his coat of shining white armour intact? How do they bundle the nation''s favourite chef out of the door with her dignity and bank balance intact?

Because if Andrew Turner was the one who pleaded for quiet diplomacy last time around; played the ''Don''t say anything that might upset him...'' card; without that restraining influence, the Smiths might be all too tempted to reveal what kind of deals the ''King Of Deals'' is prepared to pull. Principally at her expense - but at the expense of every other small shareholder at the football club.

Of course, Cullum might have had enough already; having witnessed the passions, the hopes and above, the expectations his cheque book brings he might have decided that he''d be better off giving the Mrs a yacht in the Med for Christmas than a football club in Norfolk...

Is there a third way? A third party that is out there in the same corporate jungle that Cullum inhabits who would be willing to play ball, to give the ''King Of Deals'' a rival for the Canaries'' affections?

Wynn Jones has ''a network'' - that network will be hard at work as we speak; trying to work out whether Towergate really are the only show in town. If Cullum has got company, that''s when the fun really starts...

Well, there we are boys and girls......

OTBC

That''s right Scooby. Pray tell where that has got us either at this club or getting decent roads to service the Norfolk area.

Mind you if Cullum invests I may have to eat humble (match day) pie and will be glad to do so.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="macdougalls perm"]

[/quote]

.......the obvious........

What''s that?

One love.

To the world!

OTBC

[/quote]

That a load of of high level shenanigans and games are being played out and we''re being played like a bunch of mugs by all concerned.

About the only thing that is certain, in my opinion. But I agree about Waghorn in general. [:)] 

I don''t see how you justify this as a "hatchet job."

Surely there must be some alarm bells ringing in your head - 2 months ago the saviour/ the future/ the hero - now he can''t be bothered (or he is playing hard to get).

You can''t really by the idea that they didn''t give in straight away so he has gone off in a sulk. It is simply moderately clever manipulation of the gullible - someone points out the truth and they are doing a hatchet job or a board apologists.

It has amazed me that so many intelligent adults still believe in Father Xmas

[quote user="Badger"]

Surely there must be some alarm bells ringing in your head - 2 months ago the saviour/ the future/ the hero - now he can''t be bothered (or he is playing hard to get).

You can''t really by the idea that they didn''t give in straight away so he has gone off in a sulk. It is simply moderately clever manipulation of the gullible - someone points out the truth and they are doing a hatchet job or a board apologists.

[/quote]

Whack Ringworm? Hatchet Job?........He couldn''t sharpen his pencil with a Swiss army penknife, let alone, swing his small chopper.[:D]

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Badger"]

[/quote]

Whack Ringworm? Hatchet Job?........He couldn''t sharpen his pencil with a Swiss army penknife, let alone, swing his small chopper.[:D]

[/quote]

But more to the point, can he use it as a tie hanger these days?

One love.

To the world!

OTBC