Sign in to follow this  
sxcanaree

Independent Columnists at Archant?

How is it that the "Man in the stands" is a completely ananymous/shady character who refuses to reveal his identity but Peter Cullum gives him an exclusive?

"In an exclusive interview with The Man In The Stands, weekly columnist for the Evening News'' Saturday football paper The Pink ''Un, he also spoke of his fears the club faces another relegation dog-fight without a fresh injection of cash."

Whilst the news is good you cannot help feeling that this is yet another dose of Archant Spin. from an "independent" columnist who happens to be a journalist who works for them.

Man In The Stands doesn''t work for Archant. He works in a city many miles from Norwich.

As far as I know quite a few people have written the Man in the Stand column over the years. I remember that a poster on WotB, who used to work for Archant mentioned that he had contributed to it in the season we were promoted. 

It’s an excellent way for the Archant football writers to be able to write about something they couldn’t do in their own name.

OK but why not use his name he is a freelance writer- perhaps he is ashemed of being associated with Archant!

[quote user="sxcanaree"]

How is it that the "Man in the stands" is a completely ananymous/shady character who refuses to reveal his identity but Peter Cullum gives him an exclusive?

"In an exclusive interview with The Man In The Stands, weekly columnist for the Evening News'' Saturday football paper The Pink ''Un, he also spoke of his fears the club faces another relegation dog-fight without a fresh injection of cash."

Whilst the news is good you cannot help feeling that this is yet another dose of Archant Spin. from an "independent" columnist who happens to be a journalist who works for them.

[/quote]I thouht this was all covered, both Aitken and Balls work for Archant, howvever their stance on the Worthy situation was at odds with the newspaper''s.  And apart from their own column''s I don''t think they write anything else for Archant''s sports section.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="fleckmatic"]It''s bloody Mick Dennis''s alter ego..!
[/quote]

I doubt it, Dennis writes for Waghorn, and is very much part of the Delia love-in.
[/quote]

How sadly true CJF.

I believe The Man has been several different people over the years.  Rumours include Jon Day of Y''Army fanzine but no one knows for sure.

I believe Archant did once tell an elite group of readers who ''The Man'' was and then swore them to secrecy[:-*]

Where''s Camul today btw?  You don''t suppose it''s him do you? . . . The Man "works in a city many miles from Norwich" according to another poster.  Scuse my ignorance but is Colchester a city, or is that Chelmsford?  Perhaps he lives there . . . [8-)]

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

As far as I know quite a few people have written the Man in the Stand column over the years. I remember that a poster on WotB, who used to work for Archant mentioned that he had contributed to it in the season we were promoted. 

It’s an excellent way for the Archant football writers to be able to write about something they couldn’t do in their own name.

[/quote]

Exactly - like the Stig in Top Gear!

The MitS is just a convenient way of attaching some degree of respectability to an opinion(s) without having to attach the opinion(s) to any one individual!

[quote user="pride_of_anglia_ncfc"]

''The Man'' is defintely a well respected national journo who happens to be a big Norwich supporter.

Obviously Cullum spoke to him because he wasn''t some ''fly by night'' local hack! 

[/quote]

Whoever it is, or whether it is multiple people, it''s a very useful device so that strong opinions, for example, can be aired without being attached to a particular name.  It used to be quite common on local and regional papers - much less so these days, but it''s a useful device.

The third weekly I worked for had one for every town - at one time I was writing three of them.

[quote user="Fat Prophet"]

Where''s Camul today btw?  You don''t suppose it''s him do you? . . . The Man "works in a city many miles from Norwich" according to another poster.  Scuse my ignorance but is Colchester a city, or is that Chelmsford?  Perhaps he lives there . . . [8-)]

[/quote]

It''s not us, dear chap.  I''m sure that Archant is a smashing group and all that but, sadly, they don''t pay any money or not of the sort that would interest us.

See Page 7 Tuesday Daily Express £3/4m food wasted (That''s by the government lecturing us) plus the break out: "Brown and Bush Feast at Famine Talks."

"Labour''s new blitz on kitchen waste turned to farce last night after it was revealed that Government departments throw away hundreds of tons of food a year."

It wasn''t in Archant, nor was it anywhere else save "The World''s Greatest Newspaper" (Still Only 40p - 10p cheaper than the Daily Mail and Ten Times Better) which was because we sold it to them exclusively.

The Editor (Peter "Mentally" Hill") loved it and showered the News Editor with praise at the morning conference.  Happily this will be reflected in the payment according to an email five hours old.

So no, not us.