Sign in to follow this  
taintedtom2000

The age pld debate ITV Vs BBC

I ask this question as I was really looking forward to the Germany Vs Portugal game tonight (especially as I got the Germans in a sweepstake) until I saw it was on ITV tonight. They''re coverage always takes something out of the exitement of the game for me....

Their anchor (obvious joke ingnored) is dull and as for Townsend and Neville....possibly the most boring pundits I''ve ever had the misfortune of listening to. Neither, however, compare to the awful co-comentating of Mr Pleat stop start rubbish spouting.....I get physically agitated everytime he speaks!! ITV''s only saving grace is David Moyes who is very interesting.

On the other hand BBC have a classic head figure in Lineker and Martin O''neill is amazing and bounces brilliantly off of Shearer and Hanson!

Who do you plump for and why?

[quote user="taintedtom2000"]

I ask this question as I was really looking forward to the Germany Vs Portugal game tonight (especially as I got the Germans in a sweepstake) until I saw it was on ITV tonight. They''re coverage always takes something out of the exitement of the game for me....

Their anchor (obvious joke ingnored) is dull and as for Townsend and Neville....possibly the most boring pundits I''ve ever had the misfortune of listening to. Neither, however, compare to the awful co-comentating of Mr Pleat stop start rubbish spouting.....I get physically agitated everytime he speaks!! ITV''s only saving grace is David Moyes who is very interesting.

On the other hand BBC have a classic head figure in Lineker and Martin O''neill is amazing and bounces brilliantly off of Shearer and Hanson!

Who do you plump for and why?

[/quote]

BBC everytime although I like to put the radio commentry on, but the turnip mclarens on there and just start ranting to Doris and ... oh grrrrrrr!

If you watch on BBC with the help of the red button you can watch with 5 live commentary through your telly.....clever hey?! But great idea, think I''ll stick the radio on over ITV tonight!

Yep, its the Beeb every time for me. ITV''s coverage is absolutely pathetic, they have the biggest non-entities as their "pundits" who always talk shite for about three minutes before the adverts come on again for the seventeenth time.  Clive Tyldesley and David Pleat make Motson and Lawrenson seem like wise old sages, and don''t even get me started on Andy Townsend! At least we don''t have to put up with Ally McCoist these days!

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Yep, its the Beeb every time for me. ITV''s coverage is absolutely pathetic, they have the biggest non-entities as their "pundits" who always talk shite for about three minutes before the adverts come on again for the seventeenth time.  Clive Tyldesley and David Pleat make Motson and Lawrenson seem like wise old sages, and don''t even get me started on Andy Townsend! At least we don''t have to put up with Ally McCoist these days!
[/quote]

Dont get me started on David Pleat lol! He doesnt even know that czechslovakia does not exist any more! And as for Clive tyldsley??? Andy" Journey man" Townsend spouts more crap than me LOL!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Yep, its the Beeb every time for me. ITV''s coverage is absolutely pathetic, they have the biggest non-entities as their "pundits" who always talk shite for about three minutes before the adverts come on again for the seventeenth time.  Clive Tyldesley and David Pleat make Motson and Lawrenson seem like wise old sages, and don''t even get me started on Andy Townsend! At least we don''t have to put up with Ally McCoist these days!
[/quote]

Dont get me started on David Pleat lol! He doesnt even know that czechslovakia does not exist any more! And as for Clive tyldsley??? Andy" Journey man" Townsend spouts more crap than me LOL!

[/quote]

Is that possible? [*-)]

[quote user="1st Wazzock"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is that possible? [*-)]

[/quote]

Sometimes LOL

Definitely the beeb for me - as soon as I see a game is in ITV it immediately loses some of its shine, and I''ve actually missed several games I''d have otherwise watched. I got sick of the first game Portugal played (was on ITV), the commentator clearly supported them - and thought we should/would be (presumably because of Ronaldo) and was almost wetting his pants with excitement every time they went forward.  It got really annoying and made me quite pleased that they lost tonight. 

The BBC vs ITV - unquestionably the beeb wins it. Personally Sky do everything so much better, and if you have a sky+ box start the game 15mins late then you can jump the anal drivel dished out at half time!

Just watching the highlights on bbc iplayer... it would seem that Gazza was out supporting the Germans. Have a look on 9mins 30. Looking a bit miserable though considering they were 3-1 up at the time.

ITV are bloody awful. Last night when Ballack scored the third German goal it was blatantly obvious from the first replay that he pushed a Portuguese defender. Scolari was going nuts on the bench but it took a Tyldesley and Pleat a good 2-3 minutes to work out why. And then when they finally identified the push they refused to acknowledge that it had any bearing on the goal, still wittering on about how the keeper was to blame. As annoying as Motty undoubtedly is there''s no way he would have missed that. David Pleats attempts at pronunciation are hilarious though. He almost referred to Bosingwa as Botswana at one point last night and his ''Republic of Chekoslovakia'' gaffe was particularly good. And why were they all assuming that we''d want Portugal to win just because ''he'' was playing for them? I can''t think of a better reason to want them to lose!

BBC are better but the whole ''lads club'' atmosphere really pisses me off. They constantly gang up on the nerdish genius that is Martin O''Neill, presumably because they feel threatened by his intelligence, and dumb down any analysis with their little jokes. Lineker is unbearably smug (Note to BBC, replace him with James Richardson now!) and Hansen has become a parody of himself, not every goal is down to a defensive mistake Alan. I like Strachan and Adrian Childs and I suppose Lee Dixon is OK. As for Alan Shearer, what is the point of him? He just sits there in his unfeasably tight trousers (the wife noticed, OK [:$]) never offering a point of his own. He might as well just sit there with a t-shirt with ''What Hansen Said'' on the front and just point to it when he gets asked anything. Oh and Lawrenson, you''re not funny OK!

If they want some objective analysis they should have a journalist on the panel and find some ex-pros who aren''t afraid to upset a few people. As I''ve already said, I''d have James Richardson as presenter with a panel of Patrick Barclay from the Torygraph, Stan Collymore and Graham Souness (he''s always fairly good on SKY). Keep Hansen (I think he''d be OK without his pals), Dixon, Strachan and O''Neill and you''d have a decent line up.

I think its hilarious watching alan x 2 with linekar against martin o''neil....they''re actually scared to argue against him as martin o''neil is always so serious all of the time, and has anyone else noticed that o''neill always agrees with what hansen says and always argue against shearer who backs down like a schoolboy put in his place!

I actually think the 4 do an ok job apart from shearer....hansen was obviusly a top player in his time and to the large part knows what he''s talking about and works well with gary linekar although i also think james richardson would do a fine job, martin o''neill although always so serious is a top-class manager and again deserves his place but I have to say for the holland games i though zenden done a good job for itv and maybe the beeb need to bring in a foreign player like leonardo last time

as for andy townsend....

[quote user="The Lord"]

I think its hilarious watching alan x 2 with linekar against martin o''neil....they''re actually scared to argue against him as martin o''neil is always so serious all of the time, and has anyone else noticed that o''neill always agrees with what hansen says and always argue against shearer who backs down like a schoolboy put in his place!

[/quote]

anyone remember when Gullit was a pundit on the Beeb.. he argued the Toss with O''neil and martin almost lost his rag sooner or later...

We need Eamon Dunphy on tv over here... anyone who has seen him on TV will know why...

jas :)

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

And why were they all assuming that we''d want Portugal to win just because ''he'' was playing for them? I can''t think of a better reason to want them to lose!

[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts. i got sick of Clive and Pleat saying "Ronaldos won a corner" or "Ronaldos won a freekick" when he had nothing to do with the ball going out of play or being fouled. They seem over the top obsessed with him and think everyone else does.

Davids Pleats "Republic of czechslovakia" and " Czechslovakia" will have upset a few SLOVAKIANS! 

I don''t mind the lads club feel to the Beeb, its just that they persist

with relatively boring pundits like Shearer when we''re all screaming

out for an O''Neill/Strachan pairing! Now that would be

entertaining! Agreed that Leonardo was good at the World Cup, but its

hard to work out what Dessailly is saying half the time and I''m not a

huge fan of Ray Stubbs.  Adrian Chiles has enough humour to put

him with the elite but is just so under-used... those are my gripes...

I''m not even going to start about ITV (again), it just makes me

angry... don''t like Sky either... all style, no substance and Andy Gray

is a d*ck...

Rather have the BBC coverage any day of the week over ITV and Andy Townsend, who by the way, has to be the single most annoying pundit alive, I mean jeez, he makes Gary Neville look interesting!!

Can''t stand Townsend.  He hates anyone bringing up his time when he played for Norwich (he only talks about the big teams he played for) and as for that Mockney accent of his - do me a lemon.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"].

Davids Pleats "Republic of czechslovakia" and " Czechslovakia" will have upset a few SLOVAKIANS! 

[/quote]

Can''t wait to hear his thoughts on a West Germany v Soviet Union final [;)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"].

[/quote]

Can''t wait to hear his thoughts on a West Germany v Soviet Union final [;)]

[/quote]

LOL