Sign in to follow this  
chicken

The Squad - problems!

Ok here is the list so far of senior pros:GK: Marshall, Gilks.LB: Drury, Lappin*, Eagle*CB: Shackell, Spillane.RB: OtsemoborLM: Eagle, Patterson*, Lappin, Chadwick*CM: Russell, Clingan, Fotheringham, Spillane*, Patterson*RM: Croft, Chadwick, Russell*, ST: Martin, CuretonDoherty - not included due to his lack of signing a new contract so far (please sign it Doherty!).I make it 16 players at the moment. As others have said the ideal would be at least two players for each position. Normally you have three for keepers just in case one gets injured but we have some good young understuddies that are rated and now on contracts. I think the youngsters have to be treated as a third option.However that said this is the year for the likes of Eagle, Spillane and Martin to really push on and make a name for themselves considering they have to be considered as some of the senior pros now otherwise you are looking at a squad of 13. Also consider that Lappin may be on his way out and the situation looks even tougher.We need a whole back four, I hope if we sign Gow that that will be the end of our midfield signings unless we plan to let somone go because we have a good four or five that can play there.The other obvious weak spot is the striking department - the Tyson rumour popped up again. I hope that we sign someone with some sort of pedigree soon because that is the one department where we need consistancy. The likes of Iwan kept us up all those years by chipping in with 15 goals a season and whilst I can see Cureton getting that many I can''t see him getting them alongside Martin and visa versa.I have faith in Roeder as he seems to know what he wants, I am just getting more and more anxious as each day ticks by! Its not even a case of "going with what we have got" because at the moment what we have is barely enough for a matchday squad. A couple of injuries and Roeder will be trawling the Anglian Combination or even the Sunday Leagues - or just pointing into the stands at people who hold their boots aloft!

Damn it keep getting it damn wrong. I am sorry sir I will practice my spelling at home, please don''t give me lines! I do try!As for the "*" they represent where players can play although it may not be their prefered position.And has anyone seen Eagle play left back for the reserves? I am sure someone mentioned he had played there for them and I was wondering if he was any good? I could see a future for him in that position as others have said his lack of height and blistering pace are a bit of a weakness on the wing.

it''s way too early to be worried... also Roeder has already said we will sign 4 or 5 loan players who''ll come in in august... have faith.

GK: Marshall, Gilks. RuddLB: Drury, Lappin*, Eagle*CB: Shackell, Spillane.RB: OtsemoborLM: Eagle, Patterson*, Lappin, Chadwick*CM: Russell, Clingan, Fotheringham, Spillane*, PattISONRM: Croft, Chadwick, Russell*, ST: Martin, Cureton Daleyjust a few to point out, add to that the possibility of Gow (sky call him striker), hoolihan and possibly that central defender rob jones from hibs and the squad takes a different form.hold fire at least til the sweedish tour

Chicken is accurate, except that perhaps we are short up front, and at fullback and centre back, and if Gow and Hoolahan join have an abudnance in the midfield - an area where we have light at times over the years. Spillane has filled in at right back, but Lappin looks like leaving, and in any case he and Eagle seem a little too light weight to cover at fullback.It will be interesting to see who is brought in to cover or improve other areas. Up front we have been warned off Tyson,  and Patterson has gone to Burnley. Good strikers do not grow on trees and anyone half decebnt fetches silly prices. I quite like the idea of Rasiak, if he is still available - he scores goals and sets them up for others.If I were Pattison, I would worry that I was not going to get regular ganms. There is no doubting his commitment, but he will have to sharpen up his skills as well, if he is to challenge Cligan, and Gow if he comes, and there is possibly Bell waiting.

[quote user="ob1"]Quick!Email Roeder! He probably hasn''t realised yet![/quote]My op:"I have faith in Roeder as he seems to know what he wants, I am just

getting more and more anxious as each day ticks by! Its not even a case

of "going with what we have got" because at the moment what we have is

barely enough for a matchday squad. A couple of injuries and Roeder

will be trawling the Anglian Combination or even the Sunday Leagues -

or just pointing into the stands at people who hold their boots aloft!"Its insulting messages like this that have flooded in since the mods have reduced their filtering. Post count bumping and nothing more. I was merely trying to spark a conversation on the squad and as normal a Troll comes out with a rediculous comment.

I agree with your post Chicken, as always. We do really have a lack of players but not only that a lack of a team. I''ll evaluate further. Currently, we haven''t got a strike force that many would want us to start with. Cureton mis-fired last season and we have a lack of any other striker likely to break into the first team. Now come the start of the season, we will hope to have two new strikers. This is all well and good but these strikers need to be working with each other. I''m a big advocate of early signings, simply because I believe it''s better to be working together and learning each others playing styles before the season rather than during it. It was all too clear that cureton and brown didn''t work well together at the start of the season, it took cureton a lot of time to gel with the rest of the team. Too long. We have to re-build a whole team, and as such we need to be getting these players together so they can play together and develop their playing styles. With the back four situation we really do seem to be in limbo. Is doc coming or going? Is drury still able to cut it? Can semmy and shackell build on rather relatively poor performances last season. In an ideal world we will have 4 new defenders signed tommorow and they will be on the training pitch working as a unit. If we really strive to suceed then we should look no further than our promotion season. Our defence was the backbone of the team. We conceeded so few goals that season. Mackay and Fleming were a great unit supported by superb wing-backs in solid eddy and the ever present drury. I look at what we''ve got now at the back (without doc) and I think; "this is not good enough". Yes there is plenty of time, there''s over a month till the start of the season but I hoped we would have learnt from our sloppy work last year in the pre-season that saw us start so badly. I have to add to this as well that I also share your sentiment about the stupid replies you got. I don''t give a flying **** if somebody spells patterson wrong (yes that was deliberate because it seems the intelligence on here has colapsed in recent weeks so I better not confuse you now). The silly troll/post count boosting posts are annoying me greatly on here. [/rant]

[quote user="National express super guard"]GK: Marshall, Gilks. RuddLB: Drury, Lappin*, Eagle*CB: Shackell, Spillane.RB: OtsemoborLM: Eagle, Patterson*, Lappin, Chadwick*CM: Russell, Clingan, Fotheringham, Spillane*, PattISONRM: Croft, Chadwick, Russell*, ST: Martin, Cureton Daleyjust a few to point out, add to that the possibility of Gow (sky call him striker), hoolihan and possibly that central defender rob jones from hibs and the squad takes a different form.hold fire at least til the sweedish tour[/quote]Other than the spelling mistake I am not sure how much we can rely on first year pros which is why the squad I put down were the "senior pros". I think it is unfair to expect a youngster to burst through and take the team by storm. If it happens then I will be amongst the happiest people, damn what I would do for the next Sutton, Eadie etc. I guess what I am saying is that the "senior" pros are the ones that we will be relying on.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="National express super guard"]GK: Marshall, Gilks. Rudd

LB: Drury, Lappin*, Eagle*

CB: Shackell, Spillane.

RB: Otsemobor

LM: Eagle, Patterson*, Lappin, Chadwick*

CM: Russell, Clingan, Fotheringham, Spillane*, PattISON

RM: Croft, Chadwick, Russell*,

ST: Martin, Cureton Daley

just a few to point out, add to that the possibility of Gow (sky call him striker), hoolihan and possibly that central defender rob jones from hibs and the squad takes a different form.
hold fire at least til the sweedish tour
[/quote]

Other than the spelling mistake I am not sure how much we can rely on first year pros which is why the squad I put down were the "senior pros". I think it is unfair to expect a youngster to burst through and take the team by storm. If it happens then I will be amongst the happiest people, damn what I would do for the next Sutton, Eadie etc. I guess what I am saying is that the "senior" pros are the ones that we will be relying on.
[/quote]

i promise im not trying wind you up here but......

these are just rumours in goorks, jones, hoolahan etc.... before they actually signed you cant say they cover this that or the other you cant even say it if bid accepted due to they may not come

[quote user="ambition - 1.6m on england u21 defender - "]

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="National express super guard"]GK: Marshall, Gilks. Rudd

LB: Drury, Lappin*, Eagle*

CB: Shackell, Spillane.

RB: Otsemobor

LM: Eagle, Patterson*, Lappin, Chadwick*

CM: Russell, Clingan, Fotheringham, Spillane*, PattISON

RM: Croft, Chadwick, Russell*,

ST: Martin, Cureton Daley

just a few to point out, add to that the possibility of Gow (sky call him striker), hoolihan and possibly that central defender rob jones from hibs and the squad takes a different form.
hold fire at least til the sweedish tour
[/quote]

Other than the spelling mistake I am not sure how much we can rely on first year pros which is why the squad I put down were the "senior pros". I think it is unfair to expect a youngster to burst through and take the team by storm. If it happens then I will be amongst the happiest people, damn what I would do for the next Sutton, Eadie etc. I guess what I am saying is that the "senior" pros are the ones that we will be relying on.
[/quote]

these are just rumours in goorks, jones, hoolahan etc.... before they actually signed you cant say they cover this that or the other you cant even say it if bid accepted due to they may not come

[/quote]

We shall see won''t we [;)]

dont get me wrong yellows

im not saying they wont sign but reality is all the players linked with club wont sign and be someone more like gow who not been suggested before

if any of ones abovew are going to sign why havnt they been struck by now? these rumours of them staying will stay until they move now

[quote user="ambition - 1.6m on england u21 defender - "]

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="National express super guard"]GK: Marshall, Gilks. RuddLB: Drury, Lappin*, Eagle*CB: Shackell, Spillane.RB: OtsemoborLM: Eagle, Patterson*, Lappin, Chadwick*CM: Russell, Clingan, Fotheringham, Spillane*, PattISONRM: Croft, Chadwick, Russell*, ST: Martin, Cureton Daleyjust a few to point out, add to that the possibility of Gow (sky call him striker), hoolihan and possibly that central defender rob jones from hibs and the squad takes a different form.hold fire at least til the sweedish tour[/quote]Other than the spelling mistake I am not sure how much we can rely on first year pros which is why the squad I put down were the "senior pros". I think it is unfair to expect a youngster to burst through and take the team by storm. If it happens then I will be amongst the happiest people, damn what I would do for the next Sutton, Eadie etc. I guess what I am saying is that the "senior" pros are the ones that we will be relying on.[/quote]

[/quote]To be honest mate - not sure where you are coming at when you post this in response to what I have said - I have merely pointed out the small number of players we have at the moment, I don''t think I said anywhere that Hoolahan etc were dead certs, infact they are not even in the team line up. The only new player that is is Clingan and admittedly he won''t be officially unveiled until next month but then I think he would look a bit of a ninny to come out and say I have signed for Norwich because I like Roeder if he hadn''t wouldn''t he?As for £1.6million etc. That''s not ambition, that is paying a huge price for a reletively unproven player - not sure how you can claim that he is a sure bet. I am sure you guys were saying the same over the copious amount of strikers you signed last season until you realised you had been ripped off. Ebanks-Blake is the only exception really.

To be honest mate - not sure where you are coming at when you post this in response to what I have said - I have merely pointed out the small number of players we have at the moment, I don''t think I said anywhere that Hoolahan etc were dead certs, infact they are not even in the team line up. The only new player that is is Clingan and admittedly he won''t be officially unveiled until next month but then I think he would look a bit of a ninny to come out and say I have signed for Norwich because I like Roeder if he hadn''t wouldn''t he?

As for £1.6million etc. That''s not ambition, that is paying a huge price for a reletively unproven player - not sure how you can claim that he is a sure bet. I am sure you guys were saying the same over the copious amount of strikers you signed last season until you realised you had been ripped off. Ebanks-Blake is the only exception really.

chicken far from it mate, was your post was national express one, and wasnt critising the post i was just saying dont draw them in yet

as for stearman if you like comment on other football post i have for it then fair enough

all i say on this is

1.6m on england under 21 who chased by villa! he got leicester player of season (prob not hard but least shows he best they had) and although we kept the most clean sheets ask any wolves fan where our weakness is and its at centre back. why cant i be happy that my team signing promising youth with good futures ahead of him he been capped england every level up to u21s and usually we sign some over the hill ex prem defender for big bucks whos utter cack

as for signings

keogh - 750k - good enough this level

kightly - 25k - now linked 4m move to prem but staying put as he wants to stay

foley - 600k - linked with moves to sunderland and birmingham (jan) for 2.5m. also got in ireland squad now

henry - 100k - controls midfield and does the dirty work

jarvis - 200k - will defiantly excel this season

Although this isn''t an excuse, even a big team in Europe like Aston Villa has a squad the size of ours. Twenty players on professional deals, including three who have never played before (Rudd/Lathrope/Daley and Delfouneso/O''Halloran/Stieber) and only one coming in (Clingan and Sidwell respectively).Just an interesting observation.

So lets add in Hoolihan, Bell and Gow (hopefully signing this week). Add to this the signing of another CB. Include Bertrand and Evans along with Cork and another CB on loan and things look a lot better IMO. Perhaps Rasiak (or another target man) up front and things are looking quite good...

GK: Marshall, Gilks. Rudd

LB: Bertrand, Drury

CB: Shackell, Sign CBLoan CB, Spillane.

RB: Cork, Otsemobor

LM: Holihan, Pattison, Eagle

CM: Bell, Russell, Clingan, Fotheringham

RM: Croft, Chadwick

ST: Evans, Gow, Cureton, Martin, Daley

[quote user="super mick mccarthy "]

all i say on this is

1.6m on england under 21 who chased by villa! he got leicester player of season (prob not hard but least shows he best they had) and although we kept the most clean sheets ask any wolves fan where our weakness is and its at centre back. why cant i be happy that my team signing promising youth with good futures ahead of him he been capped england every level up to u21s and usually we sign some over the hill ex prem defender for big bucks whos utter cack

as for signings

keogh - 750k - good enough this level

kightly - 25k - now linked 4m move to prem but staying put as he wants to stay

foley - 600k - linked with moves to sunderland and birmingham (jan) for 2.5m. also got in ireland squad now

henry - 100k - controls midfield and does the dirty work

jarvis - 200k - will defiantly excel this season

[/quote]Well its clear from other posts you don''t rate Keogh although a lot of people I know think he is a pretty good player. Not a massive goalscorer but a good player to hold the ball up etc.Yeah so the other players you mention are possibly half decent, but then as you have said it has never really been for the lack of money at Wolves because for the last ten years or so you have had somebody wealthy running things. The biggest problem is paying over the odds for players and I have to say that I think you have paid over the odds for Stearman.Player of the season means nothing, Doherty won player of the season not so long ago and we would have taken the money and run whilst laughing hidiously. Andy Marshall is another fine example. You say Villa were interested - anything confirmed? Or is that just paper talk?I am not trying to be funny pal but you warning us not to count players before they have signed - I would go further, I wouldn''t even class them as a good deal really until they have kicked a ball in anger because thats really what proves their worth.Until then all you can really say is that they are a promising signing. Look at Sutton - great player here and at Blackburn but was useless at Chelsea.