Sign in to follow this  
ncfclad

Favourites to sign Nicholson.

NORWICH City today emerged as the new favourites to land Aberdeen’s Barry Nicholson.

The news came as Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood dismissed talk of Nicholson returning to Pittodrie.

The Scotland cap is available on a free transfer as his Aberdeen contract expires this month.

Dons’ Gothenburg Great Bryan Gunn, now head of player recruitment for the Canaries, confirmed they want Nicholson, who is also being trailed by Preston North End.

“Barry is one of the players who has been recommended to us and is on our list of targets,” said Gunn.

“We have made inquiries about him, but haven’t taken things further than that just yet.

“Barry is a free agent and we are interested but our manager, Glenn Roeder, is on holiday right now so we won’t be taking things further until he gets back.

“He has other clubs in England chasing him while Aberdeen are also keen for him to sign another contract with them, but he remains a target.

“We watched a lot of games on both sides of the border and travelled up to Scotland to see Barry in action.”

The latest development in the Nicholson saga comes amid speculation the 29-year-old was poised to sign a new deal with the Dons.

Radio reports claimed Nicholson would be staying, but they were dismissed today by Calderwood.

“It would be great if that were true, but sadly it isn’t,” said Calderwood.

“As far as I know Barry is going to England.

“If he had decided to do otherwise I’m sure I would have been the first one he contacted.”

Nottingham Forest and Leeds United are among the other clubs reportedly keen on the former Rangers rookie.

“Barry is a free agent and we are interested but our manager, Glenn Roeder, is on holiday right now so we won’t be taking things further until he gets back."

Best not disturb him then.........

looks a good player on free transfer but hard to judge players coming down from scotland some hit it off i.e bednar - wba

some dont rae -cardiff

breiller - you

always worth punt of freebie though

On holiday? I hope thats a joke! In any other job you can go on holiday when things are fixed, not falleen apart like they are now. GR should forgo his holiday to ensure we get the players in we need, otherwise same old, same old, they go elsewhere

deserves it after long hard season i mean not like he had 1-2years off before novemeber was it

[quote user="1st Wizard"]Simon Lappin/ Fozzy/ Thorne/ Brown/ Jarrett/ Hughes/ Brellier............... come on down![:''(][/quote]

Fozzy is ok and Gunn didn''t do badly.  Bednar at WBA is very good,  Jason Scotland of Swansea didn''t do bad last season.  I think Barry Nicholson could turn out to be an exception to the all players from Scotland are crap rule...

[quote user="we8wba"]

looks a good player on free transfer but hard to judge players coming down from scotland some hit it off i.e bednar - wba

some dont rae -cardiff

breiller - you

always worth punt of freebie though

[/quote]

Er, Gavin Rae was given the captaincy within a couple of months of him joining Cardiff and led them out in the FA Cup final. [:$]

More nonsense from the Wolves fan on the NCFC forum.

WHENS ROEDER BACK???........FOR GODS SAKE!!......PRIORITYS MAN!!!......Perhaps hes gone to Spain to book the mid season break.

not all players that come south from the land of scots are crap, i mean how many of u would have several of the celtic lads in ure team, theyre hardly crap now at celtic, same with rangers, just because a few come down and dont do well doesnt mean they all will, heres a few players who moved south from the border after playing in the scottish leagues and have done well, duncan fergusonliam millermarshallraeShaun MaloneyJames McFaddenPaul DickovRichard HughesNigel QuashiePaul GallagherGarry O''ConnorKenny MillerStephen PearsonIain TurnerCraig GordonAlan Hutton

Nigel Quashie?

He was born in London and has never even played for a Scottish club side.

Does he really count?

[quote user="ncfclad"]

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?tno=4&fid=27&sty=2&act=1&mid=2129380043

One poster says he is signing for us at the end of the week, kinda makes sense as Roeder is probably back around then.

[/quote]

Erm, unless I''m being pretty thick & completely missed it. Not one poster on that forum said he was signing for us at the end of the week or am I being blind????? I am open to being corrected!

I do apologise. Have just re-read it & seen it. Although I''m not one to believe RUMOURS read on any messageboards (wasn''t hoolahoop supposed to be unveiled yesterday/today/tomorrow/thursday/friday???????)

I will believe something once the official website or Pink Un website says we''ve signed someone.

[quote user="Royal Anglian all the way"]not all players that come south from the land of scots are crap, i mean how many of u would have several of the celtic lads in ure team, theyre hardly crap now at celtic, same with rangers, just because a few come down and dont do well doesnt mean they all will,

heres a few players who moved south from the border after playing in the scottish leagues and have done well,

duncan ferguson
liam miller
marshall
rae
Shaun Maloney
James McFadden
Paul Dickov
Richard Hughes
Nigel Quashie
Paul Gallagher
Garry O''Connor
Kenny Miller
Stephen Pearson
Iain Turner
Craig Gordon
Alan Hutton
[/quote]

Paul Dickov
Richard Hughes
Nigel Quashie
Paul Gallagher

began their careers in England

[quote user="ncfc_chris"]

[quote user="Royal Anglian all the way"]not all players that come south from the land of scots are crap, i mean how many of u would have several of the celtic lads in ure team, theyre hardly crap now at celtic, same with rangers, just because a few come down and dont do well doesnt mean they all will, heres a few players who moved south from the border after playing in the scottish leagues and have done well, duncan fergusonliam millermarshallraeShaun MaloneyJames McFaddenPaul DickovRichard HughesNigel QuashiePaul GallagherGarry O''ConnorKenny MillerStephen PearsonIain TurnerCraig GordonAlan Hutton[/quote]

Paul DickovRichard HughesNigel QuashiePaul Gallagher

began their careers in England

[/quote]they all play for scotland, who by all accounts did greatly better then the english prem players at international level so they cant be that bad