Sign in to follow this  
Lincs CR

Sven the Mexico Manager

Shame to see him leave English football, didnt think he was a bad manager at all. He did more for England than a lot of manager''s did for us in recent years.

Shame!

Agree, Abolutely disgraceful treatment from Shinawhateverhisnameis. Proved he really can cut it at the highest club level. Still, ladies of Manchester are breathing a sigh of relief.

He''s a class act however his lack of passion/movement on the touchline used to annoy me a wee bit - he will however like the lovely latino ladies in Mexico....lucky boy.

[quote user="Scottlarock"]He''s a class act however his lack of passion/movement on the touchline used to annoy me a wee bit - he will however like the lovely latino ladies in Mexico....lucky boy.
[/quote]

I agree he''s a class act Scottlarock. Passion/movement on the touchline is cosmetic. Qualifying for every major tournament and reaching at least the quarters is the real deal. Anything more than that is over achieving. We really are no better than top 8. What did he do wrong?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Scottlarock"]He''s a class act however his lack of passion/movement on the touchline used to annoy me a wee bit - he will however like the lovely latino ladies in Mexico....lucky boy.
[/quote]

I agree he''s a class act Scottlarock. Passion/movement on the touchline is cosmetic. Qualifying for every major tournament and reaching at least the quarters is the real deal. Anything more than that is over achieving. We really are no better than top 8. What did he do wrong?

[/quote]

This is a very scary point, Nutty. He didn''t do anything wrong, per se, except possibly the selection of strikers in the last world cup. The scary thing is, the press managed to drum up this belief that our players are better than we think (just watch some proper football in this years Euros!) and the public fell for it hook line and sinker.

My first tournament was Mexico 86 so I''ve experienced our "great tournaments" (two semi finals) and our dire tournaments (Euro 88, 92 & 2000 and USA 94!).

It''s finally dawned on me that we''re an above average team. No better, no worse!

Our crappy press had a lot to do with the hounding out of Sven. He was a much more competent manager than the Wally with the Brolly. The press had a complete and unnatural obsession with the Swede''s private life, which he did well to tolerate without losing his temper and telling them to get lost. Capello is probably a slightly better manager than Sven and it will be interesting to see how far he can take the "Golden Generation".

In all our quater finals with Sven we were unlucky as well. In 2002 we lost to that flukey Ronaldiniho goal. In 2004 we went out on penalties and again in 2006, so with a bit more luck we may have well made at least semi-finals and maybe more. What annoyed me about Sven was he had his favourites and would always play them, but his job would have been made a lot easier if the FA aren''t the biggest load of pillocks who have ever walked this land.

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"]Our crappy press had a lot to do with the hounding out of Sven. [/quote]

Watch them do the same to Capello as soon as we get a bad result in World Cup qualifiers this Autumn.  Our level of expectation is totally out of alignment with our history of achievement....

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"]Our crappy press had a lot to do with the hounding out of Sven. [/quote]

Watch them do the same to Capello as soon as we get a bad result in World Cup qualifiers this Autumn.  Our level of expectation is totally out of alignment with our history of achievement....

[/quote]

agreed..

i dont see the point in having an England manager.. i always thought The Sun picked the team anyway.. let them do it

jas :)

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is a very scary point, Nutty. He didn''t do anything wrong, per se, except possibly the selection of strikers in the last world cup. The scary thing is, the press managed to drum up this belief that our players are better than we think (just watch some proper football in this years Euros!) and the public fell for it hook line and sinker.

My first tournament was Mexico 86 so I''ve experienced our "great tournaments" (two semi finals) and our dire tournaments (Euro 88, 92 & 2000 and USA 94!).

It''s finally dawned on me that we''re an above average team. No better, no worse!

[/quote]

this is another good post... people go on about the premiership being "the best league in the world!" it isnt.. its boring.. you know one of 3 teams will win it.... the same teams over and over again... with their foreign imports.. whilst the english press go on about the Brilliant Lampard.. why cant he do it for england? because the chelski team carry him with the other players quality!

If you want a competitive league try Sweden, or even russia.. lots of close matches and even teams.. ok the football might not be great but with several teams all in with a title shot in the last month surely its better than predictability.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

this is another good post... people go on about the premiership being "the best league in the world!" it isnt.. its boring.. you know one of 3 teams will win it.... the same teams over and over again... with their foreign imports.. whilst the english press go on about the Brilliant Lampard.. why cant he do it for england? because the chelski team carry him with the other players quality!

[/quote]

It''s all a matter of definition.  The Premiership has the best players in the world (I dont think anyone could really argue this is not the case), however that is not to say that makes it the best league.  As you say a good league is one where several different teams could win it; where games are genuinely competitive and even if the quality of the football played may not be as high your interest is kept from the first to the last game of the season.

If you take the second definition I would suggest that you cant actually do much better than the Championship these days, and add in the excitement of the playoffs and the reward on offer to the winners and you have the real deal for me.

Worst thing about this though is they''ve appointed Mark Hughes as Gaffer. I reckon there''s no chance of us getting Ched now, with a Welsh manager in charge of him [:''(]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well I just think it''s a case that Sven didn''t look likely to take us past the quarters so in theory someone else should have a go to see if they could. However, that someone should never have been Steve "coaching badges" McClaren.

Then again Sven did make a very bad decision putting Theo in the squad and not playing him. That was poor.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Scottlarock"]He''s a class act however his lack of passion/movement on the touchline used to annoy me a wee bit - he will however like the lovely latino ladies in Mexico....lucky boy.[/quote]

[/quote]

Well I just think it''s a case that Sven didn''t look likely to take us past the quarters so in theory someone else should have a go to see if they could. However, that someone should never have been Steve "coaching badges" McClaren.

Then again Sven did make a very bad decision putting Theo in the squad and not playing him. That was poor.

[/quote]But Walcott definitely would have played if Owen had stayed fit, as he''d have been used as a super-sub. I think the issue was that we only took 4 strikers - Theo, an unfit Rooney, an injury prone Owen and Peter Crouch who is only suited for certain games.If he''d have left Jenas at home, and brought Defoe in (or someone like that) then I think the squad otherwise was good.As for us getting past the quarter finals, well not many other managers have done that either!!