Sign in to follow this  
yellowmad

Tom Miller

I feel the need to put you all right about Tom Miller, he was released because his face did not fit with Ricky Martin the Academy manager. Roeder did not see miller play and he took the word of the academy manager. Basically the same will happen next year if he is still in charge, I can predict who will get a contract next year if you want me to, my son was released from the Academy and I was not surprised as there were better players but beleive me Miller is a better player than both of the players signed on this season, none of the parents were surprised to see him get a contract at Rangers, just think of the facts, a first year pro gets about 350 a week, why let Miller go when it is going to cost a small amount of money to keep him. If you do not beleive the parents know what they are talking about the players vote was 13 - 2 for Miller....How many more good players are going to be released?

Very interesting yellowmad. I''m guessing Ricky Martin doesn''t like players who have a personality, don''t speak like PR robots, get bored in the classroom etc?

Academy players are young and aren''t always going to make the right decisions because they are still learning about life, are you saying that ''imperfection'' isn''t tolerated at the Academy?

If he''s good enough for a pro contract at Rangers then surely he''s good enough for Norwich!

[quote user="Freeza"]

Very interesting yellowmad. I''m guessing Ricky Martin doesn''t like players who have a personality, don''t speak like PR robots, get bored in the classroom etc?

[/quote]I heard Ricky Martin didn''t like him living la vida loca.

I can only state the facts, since Martin took over from Sammy Morgan Norwich have not produced a good youth team player, another player was told by Martin that he was good at heading,passing, tackling and reading the game but he lacked the tacticle part of the game, surely at 17 years old the the tactics can be learned. All the top youth teams have an X proffesional in charge, we have a sunday league player, make your own minds up?

i have heard many negative things about our academy set up. If the kids face does not fit he is out the door no matter how good he is. Its about time that all the people including Ricky Martin and all the other coaches and scouts are given a shake up. There are far to many old folk there who have NO idea what they are doing and what kids have the best potential to make it as a pro!

Clubs like us need a successful youth team if we are going to succeed long term. I think that this is GR speciality and may well look into getting in a new academy director. Remember, it is a results and money business and we have not produced enough talent.

Yellowmad:

1. Why have you not posted about this before? I have to say this does sound a little like sour grapes now yourt lad has been rejected.

2. Dion has said many times he is not going to move his family, so I can''t see him making a daily commute from Stratford for the academy

Not sour grapes mate, beleive me I admit there were better players than my son, but to have a man in charge that only played Sunday league football is a joke..I am a big yellows fan and it just makes sence to me to have an x pro in charge. How many times have you seen the youth team play or are you a first team only and could''nt give a stuff about the youth and reserves. Here is another fact for you when Martin was in charge of the reserves this season we were struggling against poor oposition because he was out of his depths, as soon as Stephenson came in the results picked up.....not rocket science 

theres something wrong if we Let Miller go and the lazy waster that is Chris Martin is still getting fat in our reserves living off past glories.. perhaps he''s the one we shoud of off loaded.

jas :)

Martin lacked guidence when he broke in to the first team, someone needed to put an arm around him and keep his feet on the floor. Instead he started to live the life of a top star who had made it. Lets not forget the crucial goals he scored last season, he is a good lad who just needs better guidence. How many of us would have been able to keep our feet on the ground.

Martin'' got that mnager in Glenn Roeder and had an ideal chance to score against Bury this season.. he never took it...

he wont be here next season... i doubt he''ll even play in the championship again...

Lets not forget that Martin was scoring goals for a struggling team, I agree GR has a good track record with young players and hopefully now this seasons struggle is over he can concentrate on helping players like Martin. GR had more pressing things on his mind this season.

The thing that surprises me is that it has been said that Mr Roeder does not go to youth matches.  I wouldn''t expect him to all of them but I would expect a new Manager and one who said at the weekend the only person he listened to was himself to give them an occasional check out. 

I don''t know whether it is true about Mr Roeder but if it is I think it surprising.

I know Colchester have had a lousy season but we''ve had some good players through our Academy and I know our Manager regularly watches their games - at the end of this season we''ve thrown in Elito who, I think, is going to be a great player.  At 17 he has already proved he can hack it in the Championship League and Newcastle and Liverpool are both sniffing around. (I doubt they''ll get him for the moment but someone will eventually).  It was a direct result of the Manager watching him play three Academy games and one in the Reserves that he was pitched straight into the first team.

Although League Two is light years from your standard it''s interesting (to me) that my other team Lincoln City have just won their third game on the trot with a good away win at Morecambe who are no fools.  Again our Manager and his Assistant watch as many Academy games as they can - indeed Imps are so hard up that earlier this season the coach was actually driving the minibus to the away games!

We had a squad of 16 at Morecambe, of whom nine were under 21 and of whom six are a product of the Lincoln Academy (including Frecklington, again other teams sniffing).  We have two more Academy players who have played first team football currently out injured.  The other three of the nine under 21 are the product of other people''s Youth Academies and apparently watched by us during the course of the season.  Needs must in our case, of course, but in the last few games some of these "young legs" have run rings round the opposition who tend often to be at the other end of their career.  I bet you they will have already learned more than in six months at the Academy.

IF it is correct that GR does not do "youth games" I find it not only surprising but possibly shortsighted especially for someone who wants to take his own decisions.  Simple logic tells us that if he isn''t going to games he is taking the recommendation of other people as to who are retained and who are released.

While light years away, League Two is a rough house compared with the championship and if these youngsters can survive the battering they are likely to get as they nimbly skin the puffing 37 year old for the fourth time in 20 minutes it is a lesson that will come in useful if they make the grade further up the ladder. 

I do think Youth Academy set ups should be taken very, very seriously and from the Manager and his Assistant downwards.  If that isn''t happening at your club then I think the approach is misguided.

Someone, somewhere must have spotted Mr Evans playing at a moment in the past.

[quote user="yellowmad"]Lets not forget that Martin was scoring goals for a struggling team, I agree GR has a good track record with young players and hopefully now this seasons struggle is over he can concentrate on helping players like Martin. GR had more pressing things on his mind this season.[/quote]

doubt it.. he hasnt even featured on the becnh since Xmas and cant displace the misfiring Cureton... we''ve seen the last of Chris Martin in a Norwich shirt...

[quote user="yellowmad"]Not sour grapes mate, beleive me I admit there were better players than my son, but to have a man in charge that only played Sunday league football is a joke..I am a big yellows fan and it just makes sence to me to have an x pro in charge. How many times have you seen the youth team play or are you a first team only and could''nt give a stuff about the youth and reserves. Here is another fact for you when Martin was in charge of the reserves this season we were struggling against poor oposition because he was out of his depths, as soon as Stephenson came in the results picked up.....not rocket science [/quote]

Yellowmad - Think you want to get your facts straight.  I''m a friend of Ricky''s and to call him a sunday league footballer is insulting, he more than anybody should know what it''s like to be released by a Pro club as he too was released by Norwich City a number of years ago!  Football is about opinions, a player that you think is good, others won''t, its as simple as that.  If Tom Miller goes off and does big things then your point is valid, you never your son might end up biting N.C.F.C on the backside, that''s the way it is and that''s the way it always is, every club gets it wrong, even the big ones.  For the record I have seen Tom Miller play and yes he has talent, so did I as a kid and had many trials, but never got the chance, as I said, it''s that simple!

[quote user="RichT - The Biscuit"]

[quote user="yellowmad"]Not sour grapes mate, beleive me I admit there were better players than my son, but to have a man in charge that only played Sunday league football is a joke..I am a big yellows fan and it just makes sence to me to have an x pro in charge. How many times have you seen the youth team play or are you a first team only and could''nt give a stuff about the youth and reserves. Here is another fact for you when Martin was in charge of the reserves this season we were struggling against poor oposition because he was out of his depths, as soon as Stephenson came in the results picked up.....not rocket science [/quote]

Yellowmad - Think you want to get your facts straight.  I''m a friend of Ricky''s and to call him a sunday league footballer is insulting, he more than anybody should know what it''s like to be released by a Pro club as he too was released by Norwich City a number of years ago!  Football is about opinions, a player that you think is good, others won''t, its as simple as that.  If Tom Miller goes off and does big things then your point is valid, you never your son might end up biting N.C.F.C on the backside, that''s the way it is and that''s the way it always is, every club gets it wrong, even the big ones.  For the record I have seen Tom Miller play and yes he has talent, so did I as a kid and had many trials, but never got the chance, as I said, it''s that simple!

[/quote]

great post Ricky! good to have someone from the club post here ;)

fourfourtwo magazine actually did a sruvery about 4 years ago now and siscovered that 98% of youth players (under 16) will never play a professional game.. scary fact that...

You will all just have to trust me, GR does not watch the youth team. I am not sure if this is because of other pressing matters or he just does not care. He also offered Chris Renton a contract this year ahead of Miller, Renton has not kicked a ball since breaking his leg against Chelsea in a youth team match at the start of this season, Renton Norwich''s youngest ever player got his chance after scoring 5 goals in a season for the youth team, 3 of these were pre season against the likes of Yarmouth. Polific scoring!!!!!

[quote user="yellowmad"]You will all just have to trust me, GR does not watch the youth team. I am not sure if this is because of other pressing matters or he just does not care. He also offered Chris Renton a contract this year ahead of Miller, Renton has not kicked a ball since breaking his leg against Chelsea in a youth team match at the start of this season, Renton Norwich''s youngest ever player got his chance after scoring 5 goals in a season for the youth team, 3 of these were pre season against the likes of Yarmouth. Polific scoring!!!!![/quote]

just one question.. if you were related to/know Tom Miller.. why do u refer to him as "Miller" in you posts rather than Tom?

So if you watch the youth team who are the players that are going to stand out next year after watching them a few times this year I have my thoughts....perhaps I did go over the top calling him a Sunday footballer but I just think an X pro should be in charge..

[quote user="yellowmad"]You will all just have to trust me, GR does not watch the youth team. I am not sure if this is because of other pressing matters or he just does not care. He also offered Chris Renton a contract this year ahead of Miller, Renton has not kicked a ball since breaking his leg against Chelsea in a youth team match at the start of this season, Renton Norwich''s youngest ever player got his chance after scoring 5 goals in a season for the youth team, 3 of these were pre season against the likes of Yarmouth. Polific scoring!!!!![/quote]

Well I would think that he''s been concentrating more on first-team problems, like the small matter of making sure we avoid relegation which we did. I think that that was rather more ''pressing'' don''t you?

Totally agree, thats why I am not slagging off GR, I think he has performed a miracle. I am just hoping he can look at the youth set up, lots of good players. 

[quote user="yellowmad"]

Totally agree, thats why I am not slagging off GR, I think he has performed a miracle. I am just hoping he can look at the youth set up, lots of good players. 

[/quote]

Roeder has worked with lots of youngsters in the past, I think he was the Youth Development Officer for Newcastle wasn''t he, before he became manager there? Then of course there''s players he helped bring through like Kevin Phillips, Jermain Defoe, Joe Cole etc.

I''m sure there are lots of good players within the youth set-up, but are they going to be good enough for first-team football on a regular basis in a few years'' time? He''s shown that he likes working with youngsters, so I wouldn''t worry unduly.

Seems a strange on that a boy whos not deemed good enough for us is deemed good enough by a club that get twice the crowds we do and are in the Champions league on a regular basis!

I know for a fact that personalities come into things as in all walks of life.

People question about guys like Paul Hayes who is now a reasonable Championship player, but I know for a fact that he had a fall out over something and refused to apologise while we stuck with the never to make the grade Ryan Jarvis just cause hes a yes sir, no sir sort of boy!

I think just because Rangers have signed Miller up it means he is going to become great, or even make it at all. As a much much richer club than us Rangers can afford to make more risks and have more youngsters on their books.I don''t think it is of much importance that Ricky Martin was never a full professional player, Arsen Wenger, Sven Goran-Eriksson and Jose Mourhino weren''t great players, Jose was never a player, but they are great coaches. I''m not claiming that Martin is of their level but the attitude that a good player will make a good coach just isn''t true.Roeder may not go to the games, but I should imagine he gets reports from the coaches about player progress and watches videos. I wouldn''t be surprised if he has left it until the summer to really get to grips with it all and look at who we have and how well they are doing. Maybe he or his staff felt Miller would never progress from his current level and was worth dropping now rather than spending even more money.

Good points my friend, and maybe you are right. Rangers after all are a big club with big finances and they can gamble on young players. Perhaps it is time that we all agreed that Norwich are skint and cannot afford 350 a week even though they have released several first year pros.