Sign in to follow this  
itwasallyellow

What is it with Glenn?

Have been reading this message board for ages now so thought that I would ask this question.  Having read numerous posts on here and also having spoken to loads of city fans and also a few West Ham supporters as well, it seems that with Glenn, even when he is doing well at a team ie the good run with us, (albeit a bit lucky at times imo), people cant wait to knock him and seem to enjoy taking a dislike to him. Admittedly his much publicised comments about media, players etc dont help, I know lots of people find his "tinkering" irritating but on the whole he has done a great job so far for us, But cant help wondering if the players are starting to feel a bit negative towards him as well. quite a few of the players seem to be lacking in confidence and a bit dejected, At other clubs he has done great to start with then pretty quickly it went sour and not many players or supporters of his previous clubs would admit to being sorry that he left. Is this just a lack of charisma, or a lack of man management skills?

Funny isn''t it. Some are comparing him to Grant. I would compare him to another Grant - Avram! Not because they are the same, but because they are treated similarly. You just know that people will never be happy with him as Chelsea''s manager, whatever he does. Being successful will just keep the wolves from the door, but as soon as they start losing more than the odd game here and there, everyone will jump on him. And it all seems to be down to the fact that he appears to have had some kind of brain surgery to remove his personality, added to the fact he replaced a guy who had more than enough personality for the both of them. I''m sure Grant''s personality is in a test tube somewhere in a medical facility in Tel Aviv!

I don''t think Roeder lacks charisma (he lacks something, but i''m not sure quite what!) or that people are waiting for him to fail in quite the way they are with Grant, but there are definitely similarities in the situations.

[quote user="a1canary"]

I don''t think Roeder lacks charisma (he lacks something, but i''m not sure quite what!) 

[/quote]He lacks the ability to bow to pressure from people whp dont know waht they are talking about. He calls a spade a spade.Works for me - in a business full of brown nosing pussy he''s a joy for anyone with a brain instead of an ego to work for

[quote user="I beat Atalanta"][quote user="a1canary"]

I don''t think Roeder lacks charisma (he lacks something, but i''m not sure quite what!) 

[/quote]

He lacks the ability to bow to pressure from people whp dont know waht they are talking about. He calls a spade a spade.

Works for me - in a business full of brown nosing pussy he''s a joy for anyone with a brain instead of an ego to work for
[/quote]

Ouch! Ok, but come on, you can''t deny that a lot of people (probably more so from other clubs than our own) aren''t convinced by him and this poster is trying to put his finger on why, as am i.

Calling a ''spade a spade'' doesn''t do it for me. I can''t stand that expression anyway. 9 times out of ten it''s just used as an excuse to give people carte blanche to behave like offensive morons!

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Have been reading this message board for ages now so thought that I would ask this question.  Having read numerous posts on here and also having spoken to loads of city fans and also a few West Ham supporters as well, it seems that with Glenn, even when he is doing well at a team ie the good run with us, (albeit a bit lucky at times imo), people cant wait to knock him and seem to enjoy taking a dislike to him. Admittedly his much publicised comments about media, players etc dont help, I know lots of people find his "tinkering" irritating but on the whole he has done a great job so far for us, But cant help wondering if the players are starting to feel a bit negative towards him as well. quite a few of the players seem to be lacking in confidence and a bit dejected, At other clubs he has done great to start with then pretty quickly it went sour and not many players or supporters of his previous clubs would admit to being sorry that he left. Is this just a lack of charisma, or a lack of man management skills?[/quote]

I prefer him to Dour Worthington and Rentaquote Grant, and trust he knows what he''s doing (in the same way Wenger clearly has time for him, and personality wise they may be similar).  I am slightly puzzled that he''s started slating players through the media as I''m sure when he took the job he said that wasn''t the way to get them to play for you...

Its and over reaction from here, he had done a fantastic almost super human effort in the way he got us up the league, since then he has done poor, so add the 2 together and you get a good job. Well in my mind anyway.

Glenn Roeder is an excellent manager who speaks his mind and doesn''t sugar coat anything. He''s generally been spot on with his team selections bearing in mind the lack of choice he has He''s tried to keep motivation high by changing things up every now and then, such as dropping Hucks, Jamie when they wern''t performing.We''ve had a lull, we haven''t played really bad but as ever goals have been the problem. Remember goals were a problem under Grant and he was trying stuff like 451 with Chris Brown lone striker so we have still come a long way since then! I just wish we hadn''t all gotten carried away with playoff talk, including manger and players, before we were porperly out of the mire. That was a massive jinx.

It was always going to be about what we acheive next season under Roeder. So provided we do avoid relegation lets see what he can produce.

By the way, Glenn Roeder also has a sense of humour, its just very subtle. [;)] Listen out for it

[quote user="Jim Duffy"]Im not going to make any apologies for this, because I think its true. People are judged on how they look. When I first saw GR at West Ham, I thought "this guy is a loser". He looks, frankly, like the school victim.
[/quote]

And you look/sound, frankly, like the ''school bully''. You know what, you''re right - it does feel good to judge on appearances!  

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]

And you look/sound, frankly, like the ''school bully''. You know what, you''re right - it does feel good to judge on appearances!  

[/quote]

Oh dear, have I been reported? I''m a psychology graduate. People are judged externally - a cold, hard fact that has been reproduced in just about every major study. I dont just mean appearance, but dress style, sound of voice, etc. I don''t think it''s all important, or even the most important thing, but these things count - especially in the public eye. A part of Avram Grant''s problem is in succeeding the "dashing and charismatic" Jose Mourinho. He just doesnt look or sound the part in comparison. Or compare Fabio Capello - sharp suits, stylish glasses - with Steve Maclaren; one presents an aura of authority, one does not.

I''m not really bothered if you have a problem with accepting proven fact, frankly.  

[quote user="Jim Duffy"][quote user="macdougalls perm"]

[/quote]

Oh dear, have I been reported? I''m a psychology graduate.

[/quote]

Well "Here''s to you Carl Robinson"

[quote user="Jim Duffy"]

I''m not really bothered if you have a problem with accepting proven fact, frankly.  

[/quote]

Okay, if you want to do the pseudo egghead thing - and as you seem so confident of what a proven ''fact'' is - I assume that you are familiar with the term epistemology? [;)]

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]

[quote user="Jim Duffy"]

[/quote]

Okay, if you want to do the pseudo egghead thing - and as you seem so confident of what a proven ''fact'' is - I assume that you are familiar with the term epistemology? [;)]

[/quote]

Umm... yes.... is that the study of Carl Robinson? [;)]

[quote user="Jim Duffy"][quote user="macdougalls perm"]

[quote user="Jim Duffy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Umm... yes.... is that the study of Carl Robinson? [;)]

[/quote]

Lol! [:D]