Sign in to follow this  
Bury Green

Smith & Jones, a vote of no confidence

For the hand full of optimists it is only November, to the other twenty five thousand or so the club is going down faster than the General Belgrano, but why? 

The zenith of the Smith & Jones junta was finally achieving promotion to the Premiership but from the time the transfer window closed in the August of our Premiership season the die was most certainly cast.  From there it has been downhill and the rate of decline is now quite frightening but to me at least entirely predictable. 

Cast your mind back to that August when we took our first steps in the Premiership, we made look Bambi big and threatening with ‘prudence with ambition’ being trotted out as the excuse for failing to invest in the team.  Consider if you will that not only had Iwan Roberts retired but despite having his parents plead with the club to sign him we didn’t have Peter Crouch either.  

Factor in that we could have had Dean Ashton in the summer but because the full extent of the Sky money wasn’t known and Geoffrey Watling (God bless him) was still with us and hadn’t cancelled his loan to the club we went into the season with Gary Doherty as our new striking option. 

After nine long years that was it, our fate was pretty much decided before it even began but of course Smith & Jones had their mandate from the fans, after all they could do no wrong and ‘prudence with ambition’ would see them right. 

By Christmas we started to make a fight of it as finally the purse strings were loosened and Dean Ashton arrived but as we know now it was far too late.  When you look back and think that only one more win would have kept us up it simply beggar’s belief that Smith & Jones still had a mandate from the fans. 

Back in the Championship it soon became apparent that ‘their man’ Worthington was not going to reverse the clubs fortune but once again they demonstrated weak management by retaining his services far to long, after all ‘prudence with ambition’ would mean paying him off and more importantly, ‘teacher knows best’. 

As the pressure grew finally their hand was forced and Worthington was released but once again their ability to know what a football manager looks like came up trumps with somebody even worse than Hamilton so from being in a sick state the club was now heading towards the critical list. 

So another season started with the usual optimism but after having negotiated unfeasibly weak contracts with principal players we now faced a season with a squad bereft of the any particular talent and a manager that couldn’t run a bath let along a football club, condition was fast becoming terminal. 

Finally they showed something resembling good sense by appointing to sort of man they should have got in the season the club returned to the Championship but as many of us fear the club is now terminally sick and there isn’t a manager in the land capable of reversing its fortunes. 

Many of you know all of this only too well so what’s point in writing all this?  Before you can openly come up with an answer you first have to understand what the problem is and it is this, Smith & Jones you have betrayed the club and its supporters and the charge against you is as follows. 

You failed to invest in the team after promotion to the premiership was achieved.  You have allowed others to do you bidding under the hackneyed and downright risible banner of ‘prudence with ambition’ and yet we have seen both your shareholding and balance sheet worth increase substantially. 

You have demonstrated weak management when strong positive leadership was required, surrounding yourself with ‘yes men’ and sycophants. 

Finally, you have all but certainly ensured the demise of our once great football club to the third tier of English football and you must now leave. 

To conclude, there needs to be a ‘vote of confidence’ and if you are unsuccessful you need to pursue the sale of your majority shareholding.  As well all know now and despite Smiths protestations otherwise, there are people who want to buy a Championship club which we could well remain if you did the honourable thing and left.

Take a look at Derby...who gives them a prayer of survival?  Then take a look at City....

Nuff said I think....Even if Smith left tomorrow I fear the rot has gone too far to repair....and it''ll be a long road back to where we were when Smith first arrived.

Progress indeed...

DELIA SMITH''S GREEN AND YELLOW BRA WEARING NANCY BOY LONDON TYPE KNOWALL ARMY!

............will win that vote, Bury

A hostile takeover is our best option.

But whose PR advisors will allow them to take on one of middle Engand''s favourite aunties?

Aunties are nice to go round and visit, have a cup of tea and a nice slice of cake, and be fussed over - ask Wayne - but they usually know where they belong.

I''m afraid ours mutated, and the ideas she has above her station are our ruin.

Fairy cake anyone?

OTBC

Excellent post Bury.

One of the highest points in the clubs history was the last Championship game v Crewe away when we celebrated winning the title in style. My memory went back to the Bayern Munich home game in ''93 when the team left the field to even more ecstatic scenes, Robert Chase was caught on national TV staring over the front of the directors box with a perplexed look on his face seemingly unable to comprehend what was unfolding. He could (would) not adapt to the scenario and the rest is history. Smith was similarly totally out of her depth once we were promoted preferring to swan around all the ....''wonderful stadiums'' and have her swelling ego massaged at every opportunity whilst the club started it''s, at first slow, but then increasinly quick slide into todays sorry state.

Of course the gap at the foot of the table can be clawed back, we are still ''relatively'' early in the season but morale is so low that only a string of wins will give us any chance and, to be honest, we look as likely to pull that off as the sun has of not rising in the morning!

Smith''s history of interference, intransigence and poor footballing decisions have led to this. Forget all this stuff about ''not going out to get a buyer''. It''s proper, objective decison making that was (and is) lacking. As I''ve said before I would hate it if we sold out to some complete unknown from China or America or somewhere who waved a suitcase of used tenners in front of the TV. These people are ONLY in the game for making profit - read the excellent article in last Sunday''s Mail written by Bobby Robson and Steve Gibson - compelling reading! Sooner or later one of these geezers will get jarred off with the endless losses he is making for no return and will pull their money out. That will make Leeds look like a walk in the park by comparison.

Money is not necessarily the answer - look at Watford, look at Bristol City. Even Sheff Wed. (with more debt than us I believe) are storming up the table after their terrible start to the season. None of these clubs (to my knowledge) have a mega rich new owner pumping in untold £M''s. 

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

Smith''s history of interference, intransigence and poor footballing decisions have led to this. Forget all this stuff about ''not going out to get a buyer''. It''s proper, objective decison making that was (and is) lacking.

[/quote]

Well said Rider and it''s good to see you posting again.  It is decisions made at the very top that have cost this club.  Worthington had to go and should of gone sooner but (and this is a very big but) his hands had been tied from the moment we left the pitch at Gresty Road.  We still could have stayed up if Worthington had not waited until 8 games to go to put his best 11 on the pitch.  Having said that, the arrival of a £3m striker at the start of the season  would most likely have kept us up and no doubt Worthington would have happily bought Ashton/Crouch in the summer but it was not his choice.  Instead we sat on our nest, made a big profit and handed hundreds of thousands of pounds over to the taxman.  Good decision, I think not.  We should have been plucking the likes of Sidwell, Gabbidon, Jagielka out of the Championship but we didn''t because we had to "wait and see".

I have said before that above all else, funding, managers, players etc indecision and reacting late is what has cost us.   The transfer windows seemed to somehow take us by suprise for so long.  How many times pre-season did we hear the old line "no one does business this time of year" only to see other clubs acting early to get the players in place quickly before pre-season started.  This is typical of the reactive way the club has been run as opposed to being proactive.  All our major transfer activity happened too late.  We tried to hold on to Francis only to sell him too late to replace him.  Missing out on Cotteril - we waited until the last day of the window and when we missed out, it was too late to look elsewhere.  At the same Mckenzie was on his way out of the door and squad was even smaller.  Earnshaw was a last minute buy and all these things just smack of desperation from a board who had been "forced" to do something because they took so long making a decision,  eventually was simply thrust upon them.

Again, when we look at the start of last season, does anyone really believe that Worthington was that bad a manager that he could only identify Lee Croft as a an addition to a tiny squad.  Or was this yet another sign of the board not being indecisive again.  Not willing to sack Worthinton but not willing to get him the players he wanted either.  Indecision is final.

Of course it would be so easy to sit back and say I told you so but the evidence of the direction the club was being taken in has been in the accounts since the club gained promotion.

In the past several posters on this message board have harangued me for daring to suggest Smith & Jones motives were anything other than honourable as both their share holding and balance sheet grew significantly with an equal and opposing force in the shape of the demise of the team.

Funny how some of those posters are so noticeable by their absence!

What concerns me most is the silence from them, they own our club -  sorry but they do  - and yet as we face our greatest crisis in half  a century they are absolutely nowhere to be seen, what does history tell us about just this sort of thing? 

Well dependent on which conspiracy theory you reads the great fire of Rome was caused by Nero and for those who  can remember their o-level classics (showing my age ) was reported to have ‘fiddled whilst Rome burnt’

Something  from 64 AD rings a bell with me,   as they are certainly doing a damn fine job of watching our club burn.

I’m not comfortable with any sort of reference to the end of Nazi Germany but I am also left with the strong impression that there is very much a ‘bunker mentality’ around the owners and directors of our club at present.

Of course both of the above suggest they might not have got very long as certainly there is now a considerable weight of pressure as more and more people wake up to the fact this crisis is entirely of their own design and the reality of ‘prudence with ambition’

A superb thread with some superb replies. Makes for chilling reading though and further reinforces my desire to see a new director/board firmly in place.

Bury Green - The points you are making on that original post are the points I have been making on this messageboard for as long as I have posted. They are also points that Nigel Worthington was loudly making during his last few months in charge. Nobody listened to him or even me at the time because they had other agendas.

I have posted time and time again about not getting Crouch or Ashton earlier because it seems obvious to me that we would have comfortably stayed up if we had mainly due to the good fortune of Southampton being so poor. It was a big opportunity missed.

I am still unsure about the board hanging on to Worthy for too long. Fulham would have been a good time to change, but thats with hindsight because there weren''t too many unhappy at him staying. But Worthy made two poor signings in Andy Hughes and Jason Jarrett and then got unlucky with Thorne and MLJ. The end of that season would have been another time to get rid but again they hung on to him but then for me they made the biggest mistake of all by not backing him. Having kept him for the second parachute season they virtually left him bound to fail with the only signing being Lee Croft. When he did fail they made their worst ever appointment by employing Grant.

As Worthington said the board has always been reactive when it needed to be proactive. And it''s my opinion that they have never found the right balance between investing on additional revenue streams and investing in the football team.

I applaud your post Bury Green. I would even protest on the grounds of this post. It''s difficult for anyone to argue against the facts.

These are the real issues and it''s amazing that fans can''t be united in concentrating on them instead of trying to make it personal or make up stuff to discredit the board. Those things actually harm the cause.

Nutty you were not alone over the issues with signing Crouch. It appears that the board didn''t have the money to do so (read Crouch''s autobiography), but he would have signed as he wanted to stay. What a miss. Just thinking of what might have been makes you sick doesn''t it? Of course had he stayed we might not have needed Ashton, we will never know.

IMO we should have got rid of Worthington at the end of the first relegation season.....but as you have said, not backing your manager with cash is paramount to giving him the boot anyway. As it showed.

I am almost ready to protest, one thing will push me over the edge and that''s another case of the Martin O''Neill scenerio, good manager in, not backed with cash for team building, should this not happen in January and Roeder leaves, then Smudger and co can count me in.

Finally a thread of sense and reason.  Thanks Bury!It was ludicrous that we didn''t speculate to accumulate over the close season between Championship & Premiership.   OK so Crouch wasn''t coming here but the fact that Ashton arrived as an emergency buy demonstrates that he was clearly available at the right price over the summer - don''t tell me that we weren''t talking to Crewe before December...Yes, Worthington should have gone after the Fulham debacle - despite the lack of financial support from the board, he had the nucleus of a half-decent team and we should have stayed up (that "one more win" scenario still rankles with me today...) - it was obvious from the abject performance on that day, that Worthington didn''t have the man-management skills (let alone the coaching skills) to motivate the team to get the required result.As much as there is a desire to put Delia up as a figurehead for the current problems, I don''t think that the blame should be laid squarely at her door.   Doncaster & Munby are as much to blame as they''re the actual force behind the club''s day-to-day activities.   They hold the purse-strings and are the men with the financial acumen.   They''re responsible for ensuring that the bills are paid and the debt is serviced...Why they haven''t realised that you HAVE to invest in players to improve the club''s position is beyond me.   Perhaps they''ve been hanging on to the fact that despite our current position and all the upset over it, we''re still regularly pulling in twenty thousand plus for our home games.   If they see this slipping away (as it surely will if relegated) perhaps they''ll finally act - and hopefully it won''t be too late.I, for one, hope that Roeder turns it around.  I''m impressed with his appointment as he''s no fool and wouldn''t take on a job if he didn''t think he could make a success of it.   Good luck to him - I just hope the board have the decency to support his quest to resurrect City!

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Nutty you were not alone over the issues with signing Crouch. It appears that the board didn''t have the money to do so (read Crouch''s autobiography), but he would have signed as he wanted to stay. What a miss. Just thinking of what might have been makes you sick doesn''t it? Of course had he stayed we might not have needed Ashton, we will never know. IMO we should have got rid of Worthington at the end of the first relegation season.....but as you have said, not backing your manager with cash is paramount to giving him the boot anyway. As it showed. I am almost ready to protest, one thing will push me over the edge and that''s another case of the Martin O''Neill scenerio, good manager in, not backed with cash for team building, should this not happen in January and Roeder leaves, then Smudger and co can count me in.[/quote]

Gazza - I have never been quite sure about whether the board were totally to blame for not signing Peter Crouch. It seems crazy to think we couldn''t have found the money as we were about to embark on that Premiership season. But I never saw Worthy complain about it, however he did say about the board NOT signing Ashton earlier.  The one that really rankles with me though is the Steve Howard shambles in the summer of 2006. We still had good players here at that time even though a lot of fans didn''t think so. Not signing a targetman to play beside Earnshaw, for a last attempt to get back while we had money, was unforgivable.

Ok, so you wasted a lot of time typing out a huge post containing all the ''facts'' (dependendt on your point of view), ''facts'' that have been discussed a million times on here.  SO rather than starting ANOTHER thread about it and reading all the ''I agree they are all shite'' posts, why dont you tell us what YOU are PERSONALLY going to do to about it?

[quote user="Bury Green"]

For the hand full of optimists it is only November, to the other twenty five thousand or so the club is going down faster than the General Belgrano, but why? 

The zenith of the Smith & Jones junta was finally achieving promotion to the Premiership but from the time the transfer window closed in the August of our Premiership season the die was most certainly cast.  From there it has been downhill and the rate of decline is now quite frightening but to me at least entirely predictable. 

Cast your mind back to that August when we took our first steps in the Premiership, we made look Bambi big and threatening with ‘prudence with ambition’ being trotted out as the excuse for failing to invest in the team.  Consider if you will that not only had Iwan Roberts retired but despite having his parents plead with the club to sign him we didn’t have Peter Crouch either.  

Factor in that we could have had Dean Ashton in the summer but because the full extent of the Sky money wasn’t known and Geoffrey Watling (God bless him) was still with us and hadn’t cancelled his loan to the club we went into the season with Gary Doherty as our new striking option. 

After nine long years that was it, our fate was pretty much decided before it even began but of course Smith & Jones had their mandate from the fans, after all they could do no wrong and ‘prudence with ambition’ would see them right. 

By Christmas we started to make a fight of it as finally the purse strings were loosened and Dean Ashton arrived but as we know now it was far too late.  When you look back and think that only one more win would have kept us up it simply beggar’s belief that Smith & Jones still had a mandate from the fans. 

Back in the Championship it soon became apparent that ‘their man’ Worthington was not going to reverse the clubs fortune but once again they demonstrated weak management by retaining his services far to long, after all ‘prudence with ambition’ would mean paying him off and more importantly, ‘teacher knows best’. 

As the pressure grew finally their hand was forced and Worthington was released but once again their ability to know what a football manager looks like came up trumps with somebody even worse than Hamilton so from being in a sick state the club was now heading towards the critical list. 

So another season started with the usual optimism but after having negotiated unfeasibly weak contracts with principal players we now faced a season with a squad bereft of the any particular talent and a manager that couldn’t run a bath let along a football club, condition was fast becoming terminal. 

Finally they showed something resembling good sense by appointing to sort of man they should have got in the season the club returned to the Championship but as many of us fear the club is now terminally sick and there isn’t a manager in the land capable of reversing its fortunes. 

Many of you know all of this only too well so what’s point in writing all this?  Before you can openly come up with an answer you first have to understand what the problem is and it is this, Smith & Jones you have betrayed the club and its supporters and the charge against you is as follows. 

You failed to invest in the team after promotion to the premiership was achieved.  You have allowed others to do you bidding under the hackneyed and downright risible banner of ‘prudence with ambition’ and yet we have seen both your shareholding and balance sheet worth increase substantially. 

You have demonstrated weak management when strong positive leadership was required, surrounding yourself with ‘yes men’ and sycophants. 

Finally, you have all but certainly ensured the demise of our once great football club to the third tier of English football and you must now leave. 

To conclude, there needs to be a ‘vote of confidence’ and if you are unsuccessful you need to pursue the sale of your majority shareholding.  As well all know now and despite Smiths protestations otherwise, there are people who want to buy a Championship club which we could well remain if you did the honourable thing and left.

[/quote]

I think we could all come up with instances of players who have slipped through the net. What about Matthew Upson who came from Diss? How did we miss him?

Crouch clearly wanted to stay - he says so in his book. I am pretty sure NW would have welcomed it. Don''t forget Hucks signing was largely the result of Hucks pushing for it and an outside investment. Oh and a large share issue which made many ordinary fans shareholders.

According to the board, Crewe wouldn''t release Ashton at the start of the season and put up a not for sale sign. Shame we are unable to do the same thing isn''t it!

I am sure many avenues were blocked for Nigel. I can''t say I was his greatest fan, but he didn''t exactly get the backing he deserved and paid the price. Now however, the board will have to pay, if we go down who is going to blame the manager?

Just to add a little more fuel to the fire, I together with other fellow Bury Yellows long held the view that the board never entirely trusted Worthington given some of his attempted purchases and as such are guilty of wishy washy management which lies at the heart of our malaise 

Cast your minds back to the summer of our promotion season before Hux and Rodney Trotter came in on loan.  Prior to that Worthington had tried to sign Alan Lee from Rotherham and Shipperly if my memory serves me well from Wimbledon, just imagine how different history would have been had he have got his way? 

The one thing that made both Smith & Jones their money and indeed got us promoted was the signing of Hux and Peter ‘you can call me Dave’ Crouch, the one time the sun truly shone on this dog of a clubs behind in the last decade.  In one week a true legend and a current England international who subsequently changed hands for millions,   the question is was this down to luck? 

Given transfer dealings both before and afterwards probably so and given the club were able to bring in players at that Christmas, Svenny and Leon to bolster the squad off the back of share issue we now find another principle gripe of mine. 

Promotion was largely secured that Christmas,  ‘Dave’ Crouch had gone back and Hux became a permanent signing with both Leon and Svenny being brought in by funds put into the club by the shareholders, namely you and me.  Sure Smith & Jones chipped in (£250k iirc) but it was this influx of money that provided the springboard into the Premiership. 

From here points I have raised previously come into play, namely they spent very little preferring to see the clubs balance sheet blossom due to the considerable input from us, the supporters, back in our championship season. 

Nice work if you can get it?

agreed with all the points here..

also, lets look at the Hucks capture.. the football club WOULD NOT have pushed the boat out for him.... that is fact!

he was signed by a share issue, the fans putting money in their pockets, whilst im sure the club donated a little bit of it we all know an anonymous benefactor (I believe i know who it is, mate of mine knows a relative of said person... im not naming a name) paid Huckleberrys wages...

we wouldnt of got him.. we had just signed Leon Mckenzie and Matty svensson... the kitty was gone. would we have gone up? who knows.. i think we would, we won a few games without hucks that season and would of won more still, but the statement was made then, the board basically said "we want him, but we arent brave enough to go out and get him... we know that forest and sheffield utd want hucks too.. so we will just Dither and hope the fans come good for us"

The way the board dithered over the Hucks signign was a warning for the future...

jas :)

[quote user="JC"]

Ok, so you wasted a lot of time typing out a huge post containing all the ''facts'' (dependendt on your point of view), ''facts'' that have been discussed a million times on here.  SO rather than starting ANOTHER thread about it and reading all the ''I agree they are all shite'' posts, why dont you tell us what YOU are PERSONALLY going to do to about it?

[/quote]

Actually I think you will find that if you are capable of thinking quickly it doesn’t take very long at all, my apologies if  you feel I am suffering from a touch of verbiage, really you needn’t as i am quite fine this sunny afternoon but thank you anyway for your concerns.

To business, you have deemed fit to come onto a football forum complaining about the same things being said a million times over, well here’s a novel concept for you, don’t! Given this one is all about NCFC you’ll find this type of thing all over the place, horrid if you don’t like it.   

None the less let’s try and go with some joined up thinking for you, my original post could form the backbone of  a vote of no confidence against the majority share holders and directors brought by supporters groups and indeed share holders, a mandate for their removal?  The sort of questions the local media should be asking of the board and majority share holders prompted by us, the supporters?

Moving on, you may notice if you cast your eyes at the bottom of the English Championship there is a club called Norwich City sat at rock bottom, this by most of our standards is a bad thing, something many of us feel passionate about.  Funnily enough something that makes people like me post on forums like this, taking time out from our day to day business activities to express our views just like I did in my original post, this surely can’t come as much of a surprise or hadn’t you looked recently? 

You see I actually spent several hundred quid driving down to Plymouth, staying in a hotel, having some tea, buying some drinks and then watching something on a par with the French Army on a bad day, frightfully unpleasant !

Back on track, given the clubs AGM is something even Rudolph Hess would be proud of in terms of spin, crowd control and manipulation the Pinkun message board is a very convenient outlet to discuss our concerns and suggest ideas, just like I did in my original post particularly after having chunked several hundred quid rocking down to Plymouth

You may also notice I said quite clearly that given a change of ownership and direction I would be very happy to chip in with some loot, far more than the minimum lot size of £100 to hopefully move the club forwards, moreover something I feel confident many others just like me would do again.

Twelve years ago I was there on Carrow Road at the end of Chase’s junta and I’ll be there at the end of this one as well and the idea of my original post was to proffer some thoughts and ideas to fellow supporters on the legacy Smith & Jones have created to fuel the winds of change whever they come from.

There you go, all that over a cup of tea in just ten minutes, to conclude, why don’t you tell us all about your own tales of ‘dering -do’ for the removal of the busted flush that are our majority share holders and why they have failed?  

[quote user="Bury Green"][quote user="JC"]

[/quote]

Actually I think you will find that if you are capable of thinking quickly it doesn’t take very long at all, my apologies if  you feel I am suffering from a touch of verbiage, really you needn’t as i am quite fine this sunny afternoon but thank you anyway for your concerns.

To business, you have deemed fit to come onto a football forum complaining about the same things being said a million times over, well here’s a novel concept for you, don’t! Given this one is all about NCFC you’ll find this type of thing all over the place, horrid if you don’t like it.   

None the less let’s try and go with some joined up thinking for you, my original post could form the backbone of  a vote of no confidence against the majority share holders and directors brought by supporters groups and indeed share holders, a mandate for their removal?  The sort of questions the local media should be asking of the board and majority share holders prompted by us, the supporters?

Moving on, you may notice if you cast your eyes at the bottom of the English Championship there is a club called Norwich City sat at rock bottom, this by most of our standards is a bad thing, something many of us feel passionate about.  Funnily enough something that makes people like me post on forums like this, taking time out from our day to day business activities to express our views just like I did in my original post, this surely can’t come as much of a surprise or hadn’t you looked recently? 

You see I actually spent several hundred quid driving down to Plymouth, staying in a hotel, having some tea, buying some drinks and then watching something on a par with the French Army on a bad day, frightfully unpleasant !

Back on track, given the clubs AGM is something even Rudolph Hess would be proud of in terms of spin, crowd control and manipulation the Pinkun message board is a very convenient outlet to discuss our concerns and suggest ideas, just like I did in my original post particularly after having chunked several hundred quid rocking down to Plymouth

You may also notice I said quite clearly that given a change of ownership and direction I would be very happy to chip in with some loot, far more than the minimum lot size of £100 to hopefully move the club forwards, moreover something I feel confident many others just like me would do again.

Twelve years ago I was there on Carrow Road at the end of Chase’s junta and I’ll be there at the end of this one as well and the idea of my original post was to proffer some thoughts and ideas to fellow supporters on the legacy Smith & Jones have created to fuel the winds of change whever they come from.

There you go, all that over a cup of tea in just ten minutes, to conclude, why don’t you tell us all about your own tales of ‘dering -do’ for the removal of the busted flush that are our majority share holders and why they have failed?  

[/quote]

Ten minutes well spent Bury...an enjoyable and insightful read...

Slightly lacking in insults and taunts perhaps?...but then perhaps that''s just me being me.....       [Y]  

thhi the decline has bin happening since the relegation from premiership in which time the board has sa on its arse worring bout outside activitys time for change at board level agreeed