Sign in to follow this  
Hartsons Gut

My Team for Tonight

Hartson wont last whole game, so i think it would be a waist to start him. Put him on the bench as we might need him later. We will win 2-1.                                                 

Marshall

Ortsemobor                     Taylor            Shackle            Lappin

Chadwick                       Brellier              Russell             Eagle (Yes Eagle)   

Cureton            Martin

Subs: Hartson, Gilks, Murray, Croft, Shrikavka.

I agree that Eagle is an option and the only natural left sided player available so I have suggested him elsewhere - yet doubts remain and I suspect either chadwick or smith will play there.

Up front we know that Hartson wont last but he will get fitter the longer he plays so rather than limit him to 30 mins start him and get 45 good mins out of him (30 mins first half, 15 second) before introducing either Brown (more natural replacement) or martin

I would definitely have Smith at least on the bench to give us some option of creativity 

[quote user="Roeder to the rescue"]

Cureton          Martin  [/quote]

lots of height up there then

with the option of brown, hartson or strihavka????

Chadwick is two footed so could play on the left if needs be with Croft coming in on the right. Watford are a big, strong and powerful side. To combat this I think we will need a big man to play alongside Cureton and that''s going to be Hartson.

With his team selection on Sunday Roeder has clearly decided that the situation we are in demands experience. He picked the most experienced side available to him and that meant Chadwick over Croft, Brellier rather than Jarvis and Hartson and Dublin as his big men up front.

When a team isn''t playing well or without much confidence it helps to keep things simple and that means playing a bit more direct and that''s exactly what we did on Sunday. We got the ball forward quickly and got crosses in for the big men. This doesn''t mean we should hoof it aimlessly of course.

I''d start with Hartson, he''s strong and able to hold up the play rather then give the ball away for a quick counter. I''d go with Cureton as they already had a succesful combination which lead to Cureton scoring a long awaited goal. Give Harston the half and see how he feels....

On the left i''d go Smith for creativity, he''s a decent crosser of the ball and if Hartson is there then theres another benifit.

Leave the rest unchanged  as too many changes can be suicide.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I agree that Eagle is an option and the only natural left sided player available so I have suggested him elsewhere - yet doubts remain and I suspect either chadwick or smith will play there.

Up front we know that Hartson wont last but he will get fitter the longer he plays so rather than limit him to 30 mins start him and get 45 good mins out of him (30 mins first half, 15 second) before introducing either Brown (more natural replacement) or martin

I would definitely have Smith at least on the bench to give us some option of creativity 

[/quote]

I really can''t make my mind up if I would start Hartson or use him from the bench, but surely he has to figure! We started him against Bristol City and our best spell was at the start of the game and then we used him as sub against Burnley and had our best spell at the end of the game. On Sunday we played well throughout the game but we had Dublin before we introduced Hartson and even so we were more effective when he came on. So all things considered, especially the fact we don''t have Dublin, I think I would start with Hartson with Cureton in the hope we can win the game before he tires. I really believe Cureton can feed off Hartson in the box in the same way Brown did at Burnley. I would have Brown and Strihavka on the bench. 

Looking at are strikers, when they are all fit, for me we have two groups. Dublin, Hartson and Brown in one and Cureton, Strihavka and Martin in the other. All my combinations would involve one from each group.

Eagle has to come into contention for a place on the left but I would probably put Chadwick there which would mean our main attacking threat would be Croft and Otsemebor on the right.

Marshall

Otsemebor Taylor Shackell Lappin

Croft Brellier Russell Chadwick

Hartson Cureton

Subs: Gilks, Murray, Smith, Strihavka, Brown.

I think you need a proper defender at left back.  Good though Lappin was on Sunday attacking he worried me defensively (though no change throughout season).  I''d go for Murray left back or one of the youngsters and Lappin on the left wing to put those excellent crosses in.

Id go for striker in the absence of Dublin . . when i have seen him he looks pacy can put direction on his flick-ons (no names mentioned ahem Brown) and knows how to score.

We are lucky having croft/smith and murray on the bench can cover both sides and at the back meaning two strikers (martin and hartson) on the bench for striker and curo if both cant do 90.

Thinking of the opposition we definately need Hartson up against Shittu to win the physical battle. To give him credit he did stir things up on Sunday (although the ref was surprisingly lenient towards him). I know Martin has been up against players like Moore of Derby last year but in our position we need the physicality and experience of Hartson despite me being very dissapoited with his lack of profesionalism to get so unfit.

[quote user="Roeder to the rescue"]

Hartson wont last whole game, so i think it would be a waist to start him. Put him on the bench as we might need him later. We will win 2-1.                                                 

Marshall

Ortsemobor                     Taylor            Shackle            Lappin

Chadwick                       Brellier              Russell             Eagle (Yes Eagle)   

Cureton            Martin

Subs: Hartson, Gilks, Murray, Croft, Shrikavka.

[/quote]

Croft on the right Chadwick left, Hartson starts.