Sign in to follow this  
Mook

Our players are lazy

Lazy, lazy gits. Did anyone else pick up on this from Glen''s interview, or is it just me?

http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED09%20Nov%202007%2008%3A05%3A04%3A723

I bet you can add Ryan Jarvis and countless others to the list of those that finish training and leg it back home to play PS3 or down to McDonalds.

What''s the point in all this "investment" if the players we do have, particularly the local boys playing for their local club, don''t want to make the most of their talent? I''m really disappointed to read this, especially as Shackell is name-checked.

I hope Glen gets under their skin and gives them the desire to work hard on their fitness, and their technique. Or else we''re screwed, money or no money.

thanks for pointing out this article, I found it very interesting and feels that Roeder is allowing us to actually see some of the problems that have been there for some time. It sounds like he desperately wants to help these people do well rather than criticism for the sake of it. Interesting to note that we appear to have no role models applying peer pressure to theese younger players to do extra training. Perhaps that too should be taken into account. wonder if the likes of drury and hucks stay behind to better themselves.

In any business the highest achievers will be those with high levels of self motivation, something within them that is desperate to achieve. If this is combined with a similar ethic within the club our young players still have a chance of a career as apro, if not its back on the well trodden path to the linnets.

There are a lot of players around nowadays who are prepared to take the money and live on their "percieved" status - if we have them, get rid of them, whoever the hell they are.....

Quite an interesting article.

Also of note, he picks the 3 younger players who do have potential to be sold on for a large amount of cash.

I''d guess that if the younger players have seen their seniors get into the Premiership, fail to stay there, and then lose the incentive to compete for the championship, it''s bound to rub off on them.  Good to see GR attempting to tackle complacency, although I thought he was going to avoid naming names when talking to the press.

[quote user="Mook"]

Lazy, lazy gits. Did anyone else pick up on this from Glen''s interview, or is it just me?

http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich
&itemid=NOED09%20Nov%202007%2008%3A05%3A04%3A723

I bet you can add Ryan Jarvis and countless others to the list of those that finish training and leg it back home to play PS3 or down to McDonalds.

What''s the point in all this "investment" if the players we do have, particularly the local boys playing for their local club, don''t want to make the most of their talent? I''m really disappointed to read this, especially as Shackell is name-checked.

I hope Glen gets under their skin and gives them the desire to work hard on their fitness, and their technique. Or else we''re screwed, money or no money.

[/quote]My take on this interview is that Glenn roeder is questioning the commitment of some of the players.Its as if some of them seem happy to be where they are and have no real ambitions to better themselves.The more i hear from roeder the more impressive he seems.I think his experience with truly good players could start to rub off on some of our under-preforming players.I just hope he can turn things around in time to avoid relegation.If shack''s body isn''t as defined as it could be what ever were his thoughts on hartson''s[:D]

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Concentration is directly linked to fitness, diet and preparation. It says it all.[/quote]

Lack of................or lazy, useless, incapable, whatever the excuse we wont be going far as it stands, and we cant get much lower than we are.......its all so damned sad.

OTBC

[quote user="lobster catcher"][quote user="Mook"]

http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich
&itemid=NOED09%20Nov%202007%2008%3A05%3A04%3A723

[/quote]My take on this interview is that Glenn roeder is questioning the commitment of some of the players.Its as if some of them seem happy to be where they are and have no real ambitions to better themselves.The more i hear from roeder the more impressive he seems.I think his experience with truly good players could start to rub off on some of our under-preforming players.I just hope he can turn things around in time to avoid relegation.If shack''s body isn''t as defined as it could be what ever were his thoughts on hartson''s[:D][/quote]

Yeah, I think sending Hartson back, was a clear example of what he thought about Hartsons physique.  But they have no excuse to have anything other than amazing conditioning.  They have loads of money, free gym + trainer, and bag loads of spare time, not exactly tough!

There is an attitude of accepting easy cash without stretching yourself from these youngsters which would be exactly the same attitude from many in society.  And this extends not just to our youngsters but to players across all age groups.

I think this is an excellent message to send all our players, and has hoepfully boosted the egos of the three named players with a view to inspiring them to develop themselves 

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I''d guess that if the younger players have seen their seniors get into the Premiership, fail to stay there, and then lose the incentive to compete for the championship, it''s bound to rub off on them.  Good to see GR attempting to tackle complacency, although I thought he was going to avoid naming names when talking to the press.
[/quote]

I think he''s naming names, as Zip points out, because he''s not saying "you are at fault" but instead "you can be VERY good if you work hard".

It''s inspirational, or at least it would inspire me. COME ON you young uns, for crissakes get in the gym, get on the training pitch.

I was a bit disappointed to see this article relegated down the pinkun pages in favour of loan speculation etc - in my humble opinion, this is the most important statement made by a Norwich manager for many years.

Why do you think Arsene Wenger avoids buying young English players?

A couple of decent performances for the first team a and their agents are on the phone demanding an improved contract. Once they get that they think they''ve made it, isn''t what Roy Keane said about some of the Man Utd youngsters a couple of years ago? If they don''t buckle down and work on their game what''s the worst that''s going to happen? They''ll either get dropped to the reserves which gives them even more time to go out and act the Charlie Big Spuds in the VIP area of some sh*tty nightclub or sent out on loan. Either way they''ll still get paid. Come the end of their contract when they''ve earned obscene amounts of money if they''ve managed to keep up a half decent standard they might get offered another one. If not, they''ll get released and some other mug will take a chance on them.

Eventually they end up like Phil Mulryne. He may have ended up only playing for Kings Lynn but you can bet he''s made a shed load of money and had a great time on the way down.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Why do you think Arsene Wenger avoids buying young English players?

A couple of decent performances for the first team a and their agents are on the phone demanding an improved contract. Once they get that they think they''ve made it, isn''t what Roy Keane said about some of the Man Utd youngsters a couple of years ago? If they don''t buckle down and work on their game what''s the worst that''s going to happen? They''ll either get dropped to the reserves which gives them even more time to go out and act the Charlie Big Spuds in the VIP area of some sh*tty nightclub or sent out on loan. Either way they''ll still get paid. Come the end of their contract when they''ve earned obscene amounts of money if they''ve managed to keep up a half decent standard they might get offered another one. If not, they''ll get released and some other mug will take a chance on them.

Eventually they end up like Phil Mulryne. He may have ended up only playing for Kings Lynn but you can bet he''s made a shed load of money and had a great time on the way down.

[/quote]

All this is true, Shack. But the question is - what can be done to stop it from happening? And without any of that "they need a few weeks work down''t pit" nonsense.

A sensible solution, please! Any ideas?

I thought it was a refreshing read, and seems to show how Roeder''s mind works.As opposed to Peter Grant''s, who just came right out and said the youngsters had returned from their holiday "unfit" and won''t be playing ever again until they sort it out.

I remember reading in Iwan''s book how he was often down the gym on his days off.... and he often met Flemming (i think it was) down there - 2 of City''s most recent greats.  What Roeder says seems to make a lot of sense in this perspective

Shack Attack - your post was absolutely spot on. The players, or too many players, have absolutely no motivation to improve as players, or even to perform regularly to a high standard. They are paid obscene amounts of money, for lets face it, doing very little. And as you pointed out, all it takes is a few decent games at the start of a career to demonstrate potential, and then the money rolls in for a few years. Even if the player never shows that early promise again, some other manager will think he can get the best out of him, on he moves, and the money rolls in for a bit longer. Eventually they get found out and end up at Kings Lynn.

The solution to me is simple. Pay players very little basic salary, and incentivise absolutely everything with big bonuses for first team apperances, goals scored, games won, clean sheets, promotion, cup progress. The downside might be that you can''t attract guys to the club as other clubs might be willing to be mugs and pay high basic salaries so players would go there instead. But if every club took the same approach, they could rapidly cut their wage bills, as only some of the teams can win all of the time!