Sign in to follow this  
Fluff

Change is necessary

So do we sack Grant or ask Delia to clear off?  Hard one to answer really.

Many of the posters on here want both, some want one or the other, some want to keep the status quo.  Cluck and Smudger are knocked because of their keep away and mock attitude, but in reality if more people done this then things may be different, but on the other hand, many supporters live in permanent hope that Worthingtons fluke will be repeated again such is the green and yellow tinted specs that they wear.

I have been very critical of the board for a long time now, and stand by my opinions as they have constantly played the prudence card and lacked complete ambition.  This whole ''little'' Norwich mentality that they have is keeping us back.  Selling off all the family silver too has now come back to bite them on the arse.  Whats left to sell?  Land all gone, but hang on, we still have the nice PR excersise that is The academy, for that is all it is, and I should know!

I also feel in a little way for the NCISA as they are stuck in the middle, but then again it all seems ''comfortable''

So what is the answer?  I think Grant is doing a not so bad job myself, OK tactically he needs sorting out, but he has had his hands tied from day one.  His transfer record is 10 times better than Worthingtons ever was if only in getting Lappin in on the cheap, but Etuhu, Safri and Earnshaw WANTED to move on so what could he do?  Getting in another manager would only give another excuse to the powers that be, and a big name wouldnt come here as they wouldnt want to work under the sort of constraints that others have had (apart from spend-more-than-every-other-city-manager-put-together-and-still-have-the-weakest-squad-ever-Worthington).

All in all the bigger picture is that something desperately needs to change NOW.  The board have had their chance and IMO completely cocked it up (mind you the restaraunts are doing well apparently!!) with their safety first, small little family club mentality, sell everything and total lack of ambition.  I can always remember Delia saying that city needed an average attendance of 16K a season to break even, maybe if the attendances start dropping again something may happen, but until then, the ivory tower that is the Carrow road board will stay firm.

"Worthingtons fluke".. what winning a league over 46 games is a fluke? Why are people so eager to belittle what achievements the club has made in recent years? It remains to be seen the full value of Grant''s transfer dealings, but to claim they are 10 times better and then list Ethuhu, Safri, and Earnshaw in the same sentence seems a little strange.

It was not a fluke, it was a decent manager building a team over a few seasons, then when ready the board getting the finances to fund players that would take us to the next level. That seems to be the plan again, and other than irrelevant "sack the board" calls, or dreaming of a benevolent millionaire take over, there is little else to do apart from support the team.

You can''t "ask Delia to clear off". You have to buy her out.

And Worthington''s fluke??? Play-off final, followed by 8th place, followed by promotion as champions. I''d take a "fluke" like that, any day.

Grant''s only just built HIS team with penny''s NCPLC gave him so needs more time to gel his player in, but the NCPLC board have had their chance and should look to move aside and give FOOTBALL a chance to make NCFC what they couldn''t...a success.

The restaurants done very well before they spent £mls on them.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 

[quote user="One Flew Over..."]

It remains to be seen the full value of Grant''s transfer dealings, but to claim they are 10 times better and then list Ethuhu, Safri, and Earnshaw in the same sentence seems a little strange.

[/quote]

Read my comments again!

I did not make a list of players to compare Lappin to, however when you look at it, yes Lappin is a better signing purely because he wants to play, wants to win and does not cry off when ever he gets ''jaded''!

I stand by my ''fluke'' comment. The fact that every one else were as poor that year speaks volumes.  Much of the issue with some of you is that you have never witnessed good football at Carrow road like the stuff Brown and Stringers teams played, and you believe that Safri was a god where in reality he was the best of a poor bunch, which isnt saying much!  Etuhu and Safri were bit part players that never settled and never got off their backsides and put in the work game in game out as opposed to many a ''better'' player that have put on the shirt.

But thats the real issue really.  You have got so used to watching poor football at carra road that you come away happy if someone spreads the play. 

[quote user="fluffty"]

It remains to be seen the full value of Grant''s transfer dealings, but to claim they are 10 times better and then list Ethuhu, Safri, and Earnshaw in the same sentence seems a little strange.

[/quote]

Read my comments again!

I did not make a list of players to compare Lappin to, however when you look at it, yes Lappin is a better signing purely because he wants to play, wants to win and does not cry off when ever he gets ''jaded''!

I stand by my ''fluke'' comment. The fact that every one else were as poor that year speaks volumes.  Much of the issue with some of you is that you have never witnessed good football at Carrow road like the stuff Brown and Stringers teams played, and you believe that Safri was a god where in reality he was the best of a poor bunch, which isnt saying much!  Etuhu and Safri were bit part players that never settled and never got off their backsides and put in the work game in game out as opposed to many a ''better'' player that have put on the shirt.

But thats the real issue really.  You have got so used to watching poor football at carra road that you come away happy if someone spreads the play. 

[/quote]

Splendid summary fluffty.....but you may as well sing in a bucket round here mate!.....

[quote user="fluffty"]

[/quote]

Read my comments again!

[/quote]

Bang on Fluffty,agree with everything you say!!!    They couldnt build a decent team with the parachute payments what friggin chance have they of building a decent team now?

I will go one further which may upset a few people but its a message board so what the hell.......Norfolk people and change are two words that really cant be used in the same sentance!

Many of us feel that the Board failed out of loyalty to Worthington. When it had been obvious that with budgets he was allowed he could not keep us in the Premiership and he lost the plot in the first year down, they should have sackedhim at the end of the season, and given his successor the summer to build a new team. October was a poor time to sack him, giving his successor little time to make any sort of impact, especially with the small squad and deadwood he inherited.That''s history now. We can only guess how far they have "failed" Grant. Certainly he does not seem to have had much to spend, although he did bid £2.5m for Sharp - perhaps going for broke and splashing most of his budget. Otherwise he has obtained a number of Bosmans - Fozzy, Otsemobor, Gilks, Brellier, the first two of which seem to be good signings although the jury may still be out on Brellier.Players seem to be underperforming collectively - Chadwick, Russell (-no goals), particularly, among the newcomers. I still can''t make up my mind whether it is the quality of the signings, the constant changes to the team from injuries or the manager trying different formations ("searching for balance in the midfield. The fact remains that although they "turned it on" for half games early on, Molineux was the nadir (we hope).I can only hope that the Board listens to any requests by Grant for finance for loans, and in January and the summer for signings, if Grant is still in place. I have said before, that in the early Worthington years they indulged the manager with a string of signings which had to be bought out or left as deadwood, and loans the majority of which contributed nothing. That was when the Smiths were regularly dipping into their own pockets.It could be argued that when they were "compelled" to build a new stand, and training facilities, money was more difficult to find for players.They were, however, quick to find the money for Hux, with the help of fans, - surely one of the best purchases we have ever made. They have also in the restaurant and hotel laid down a future income stream.With limited resources of Board members own private wealth, and given the high cost of very ordinary players (in fees and wages), it was always going to be a struggle and require a few years of team building. Perhaps promotion came unexpectedly and too soon, and despite umbrella payments we have been reduced to where we are. The only change which might make an impact would be a new owner ready to pump in millions in January and thereafter, but having seen the behaviour of some millionaire owners recently I am not sure how far this would work.

[quote user="fluffty"]

So what is the answer?  I think Grant is doing a not so bad job myself, OK tactically he needs sorting out, but he has had his hands tied from day one.  His transfer record is 10 times better than Worthingtons ever was if only in getting Lappin in on the cheap, but Etuhu, Safri and Earnshaw WANTED to move on so what could he do?  Getting in another manager would only give another excuse to the powers that be, and a big name wouldnt come here as they wouldnt want to work under the sort of constraints that others have had (apart from spend-more-than-every-other-city-manager-put-together-and-still-have-the-weakest-squad-ever-Worthington).

[/quote]

How is Grants transfer record 10 times better than Worthingtons?

It''s a ridiculous comparison.

[quote user="BBFF"] 

Grant''s only just built HIS team with penny''s NCPLC gave him so needs more time to gel his player in, but the NCPLC board have had their chance and should look to move aside and give FOOTBALL a chance to make NCFC what they couldn''t...a success.

The restaurants done very well before they spent £mls on them.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 
[/quote]Agree with your second point,but as far as grant goes he is out of his depth,his team are playing some of the worst football we have ever seen and the sooner he goes the better

[quote user="jimmy500"]

Love that avatar.  Where can I get one to use as my desktop wallpaper...

Sorry forgot the original point....errm sack everyone and worry about it later.....that do?

[/quote]

Yes !

I''m a big fan too jimmy500

tho, have a secret longing for marty to get a little restless with his again

the guinea pigs & puppies etcetcetc [^o)]

[quote user="jimmy500"]

Love that avatar.  Where can I get one to use as my desktop wallpaper...

Sorry forgot the original point....errm sack everyone and worry about it later.....that do?

[/quote]

The best and most reasoned post on here in ages.

[quote user="fluffty"]

Read my comments again!

[/quote]

You compared Worthington''s and Grant''s transfer dealings, and claimed they were 10x better. It is too early to tell, but how can you justify Huckerby, Crouch, Bentley, and yes Safri, were bad signings?

Of course none of the Norwich teams in the last 10 years were as good as the team that almost won the Premiership, and were playing in Europe. But you are comparing the team now with the best team we have ever had. Football is cyclical not progressive.

Fluke...8 points clear at the top of the league, a +40 goal difference (!), 15 points clear of third place..and your argument is all other 23 teams were poor [:^)]

[quote user="One Flew Over..."][quote user="fluffty"]

Read my comments again!

[/quote]

You compared Worthington''s and Grant''s transfer dealings, and claimed they were 10x better. It is too early to tell, but how can you justify Huckerby, Crouch, Bentley, and yes Safri, were bad signings?

Of course none of the Norwich teams in the last 10 years were as good as the team that almost won the Premiership, and were playing in Europe. But you are comparing the team now with the best team we have ever had. Football is cyclical not progressive.

Fluke...8 points clear at the top of the league, a +40 goal difference (!), 15 points clear of third place..and your argument is all other 23 teams were poor [:^)]

[/quote]

Was a fluke that we got lucky in the loan market after Worthy had built a team that could more than hold it''s own in this division and had already been to a play-off final and just missed out on qualifying for the play-off''s in the previous two seasons...  quite simply we got lucky in making the next step up when the boarxd were witholding the funds to do so!!!

We have little or no chance of repeating that feat however with the worst team in nigh on 30+ years gracing the pitch week every other week at Carrow Road to be applauded for achieveing Sweet FA by a cluless bunch of bafoons in the boardroom and some happy clappy performing seals in the stands!!!

[quote user="One Flew Over..."][quote user="fluffty"]

Read my comments again!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Was a fluke that we got lucky in the loan market after Worthy had built a team that could more than hold it''s own in this division and had already been to a play-off final and just missed out on qualifying for the play-off''s in the previous two seasons...  quite simply we got lucky in making the next step up when the boarxd were witholding the funds to do so!!!

We have little or no chance of repeating that feat however with the worst team in nigh on 30+ years gracing the pitch week every other week at Carrow Road to be applauded for achieveing Sweet FA by a clueless bunch of bafoons in the boardroom and some happy clappy performing seals in the stands!!!