Sign in to follow this  
Libbra Lives in Dubai

Squad review: Who do we need, who should go, and who should be replaced: LONG TERM PLANNING

I''ve put on my manager''s hat and made some decisions which Im sure you will all agree with (!)

Marshall STAY: looking like a good acquisition and could provide stability at the back that we lacked last season.

Gilks: REPLACE: an able back up goalie - impressed me at Rochdale but just not enough quality for where we should be heading

Lewis: STAY: doing good things at Morecombe and hopefully can learn from his U21 experiences.

Gallagher: GO: a poor keeper.  Send him back to Scotland and free up his wages

Otsemobor: STAY: looking like a great signing. Adds an attacking dimension we never had with Colin

Murray: too early to comment but I''ve heard good things, and Marshall rates him.  Squad player I reckon.

Doherty REPLACE: always been a poor player and contributes little to the side.  We desperately need a leader at the back!

Shackell STAY: will develop into a better player once he develops a partnership with a more able CB

Drury STAY: can do a job on the left.  Ups his game when we play well as a team

Rossi Jarvis: LOAN: has potential for the future

Halliday: GO: has not developed into the player I had hoped.

Cave-Brown: STAY: squad player with potential

Dublin: REPLACE: class but surely this is his last season

Spillane: STAY: high potential - needs to be eased into the first team picture

Brellier: REPLACE: until we find something better.  Looks average to me - hasnt had much time but he was crap in Scotland so he''s not going to cut it for an ambitious club down here

Russell: REPLACEaverage championship player, does a job for now

Lappin: STAY: good signing - skillful winger and cover for Drury

Huckerby: STAY: a good option from the bench in the longer term

Fotheringham: REPLACE: poor fringe player

Croft: REPLACE: Inconsistent and can become a spectator during games

Chadwick: I think the jury''s still out with this fella

Eagle: GO: lightweight and lacks impact for a winger

Martin STAY: exciting prospect

Ryan Jarvis: STAY: he has the talent, should be in the first team picture

Cureton: STAY: has a lot to prove, but not a great deal of time to prove it

Brown: REPLACE: he is poor, holds up the ball but you have to ask more of a striker than that!

Strihavka: needs time

Renton: STAY: looking good

Remember this is long term planning - Obviously we cant realistically make all the changes at once but I feel there are various parts of the team where we are VERY weak and we have a lot of average/poor players (some of who Grant has signed).  Looking forward to your comments/challenges!

fair point, hower i disagree with a few of your judgements, if i may:

Ryan Jarvis - Go- Doesnt cut it for me, never has, never will, he reminds me of a slightly smaller chris brown if im honest, i just dont think the guy can cut it, on par with henderson imo.

Eagle - Stay - Hucks isnt around forever, and a natural left footed midfeilder??? not many of those about, needs bulking up fair, but a loan would do him the world of good, crossing and link up play exellent.

Rusell - Easily the better midfeilder, and always seems to have that little bit of inconsitency, but the guy battles, and we need that in midfeilder, howver its a gerrard/lamps situation, can him and Brellier work together both being like minded holding players. Russell when here before used to get forward and chip in with more goal. i think eventually he will realise that.

Brellier - Stay -  Hes a heart legend, he was exellent in scotland, have you seen his video on you tube, when he gets a grip he will be class, i assure you of that.

I will reserve my comments to just a few players. I think that we should wait before dismissing either Fozzy or Brellier. Both have suffered injuries but both have given glimpses of greater things to come. Fozzy, in some peoples'' judgements is one of the most improved players this season, and Brellier comes with a very good reputation. You may be right, but it is too early write either off, yet.I am inclined to see how Russell will work out. He had a good reputation at Stoke, both in his energy levels (where have I heard this phrase?) and in goal scoring.Whether these players could perform in the Premiership, I don''t know, but we are not there yet. I think that they could help us make a very effective championship team, which is what we need at the moment.I am doubtful about the long term future of Ryan Jarvis. I really hope that he makes an impact at "Killi", but he seems to lack something in mental approach at the moment. I have a similar doubt about his brother, but perhaps an extended run at Norwich or elsewhere would help him to develop.

I will just comment where I differ

Gilks - a definite keep;  he has ability and charlton were keen and disappointed not to get him as their first choice keeper this summer.

Doc - keep;  not fab but good enough at this level;  we do need an alternative at cb though

Cave-brown/Ryan Jarvis/Renton/eagle/halliday - should all go,  loaned or released,   

Spillane - everyone tells me how special he is, yet he is too small and weak in the air to be a cb and looks lost in centre midfield;   on big wages for a long while now and should have started to do something to earn them if that good.  If he is good enough why isnt he playing?  I doubt he is - definite 3 month recallable loan now for me

Brown - we are playing target man football and he is doing that job well;  when he misses some chances I will agree he isnt a striker,  until then come on midfield and cureton,  do something for him instead of forcing him to play with his back to goal. 

Fozzy/Croft - both young and good enough to provide variety in a promotion pushing side.

Brellier - too soon to say but does needs to impress more

Rusty - plays as he always did;  was happy he went and he is not better or worse now.  A keep as we have no altternative.

As other''s have, I''ve put down the one''s I disagree with:

Gilks: REPLACE: an able back up goalie - impressed me at Rochdale but just not enough quality for where we should be heading

Disagree, has shown during his time at Rochdale that he has the attributes keepers need, and being fair, unless you''re the likes of Chelsea etc, you simply can''t have two top class keepers, one of whom is likely to be happy sat on the bench, and you''re paying top dollar for them to do so.

Disagree. He''s still very young, and defenders almost always mature far later than other positions. He needs to be getting the match experience however to develop his game, so really should be farmed out on loan for a year or two.

50/50 - This is no slight on his ability, but more to do with the fact that his longer term goals seem to be a return to the midlands to be with his family. If he was willing to stay however, he has the potential to do well in a coaching role (assuming he gets the relevant qualifications), and could still manage some games as an emergency backup option.

Brellier: REPLACE: until we find something better.  Looks average to me - hasnt had much time but he was crap in Scotland so he''s not going to cut it for an ambitious club down here

Completely disagree. Brellier is the holding player we''ve been lacking since the days of Gary Holt. He has far better passing ability than Holt ever did, and his reading of the game is also very good. He''s struggled for fitness so far, but when he''s fully match fit, he''s a cult hero in the making.

Disagree, we need players like Russell who have the drive and desire to grind results at times. He''ll run for ever, but unlike Hughes, can actually pass a ball, and has a decent shot on him. If Brellier wasn''t fit, he''d be my first choice to cover the defensive role in his stead.

Totally disagree. He clearly struggled last season (not playing for months can''t have helped), but this season came back leaner and ready to show his abilities. Was outstanding in the Southampton game, and although one game doesn''t make a player, it clearly shows the ability he does have, and deserves to be given the chance to demonstrate this more regularly.

Disagree. For me Croft''s position isn''t right wing. He''s better through the middle or as an attacking midfielder. He has had some cracking games there for England U-sides, and also for Man City. A definite player for the future.

I don''t.

Disagree. On that principle, we can bin off the likes of Lennon and Routledge as they''re too lightweight, even the great Garrincha for Brazil, he''s not good enough? He''s still young FFS and has shown that he has a wicked left foot, but needs to develop his overall game. Well worth a longer contract.

Brown: REPLACE: he is poor, holds up the ball but you have to ask more of a striker than that!

Disagree, he''s not poor, his hold up play is excellent as is his link-up play, and being fair, very few ''target'' men, score 15-20 a season. Needs to score to get things moving, but clearly a good option alongside Curo.

Agreed, he does, but he''d also be my first choice companion for Curo.

Marshall - Keep

Lewis - New Number 2 Next Season

Gallagher - Sell

Gilks  - Number 3, Loan Out, Lewis needs to be 2nd choice when back.

Otsemobor - Keep

Drury - Keep

Dublin - Let Go / Retire

Doherty - Sell, we need better and him off the wage bill

Shackall - Keep

Spillane - Keep Needs a chance

Rossi J - Loan, then compete as squad player

Cave  Brown - Loan, then squad player

Russel - Keep

Chadwick / Croft - Sell one, we need more quality down the right.

Hucks - I reckon will retire unless we compete, we could do with him

Fozzy - Keep

Lappin - Good squad player, keep

Brellier - Keep

Smart - Needs to mature and go out on loan

Cureton - Keep

Martin - Keep and play more

Strihavka - Unless he comes on, send back to Czech republic and buy a replacemnt

Brown - Keep as a squad player

Jarvis - Sell

We only have 16 players judging buy that!

So i would say we need

1. 2 Centre Halfs
  2. A Right Winger
  3. A Left Winger
  4. A Goalscoring centre Midfielder
  5. A Target Man
  6. Antother young striker

That would give us 23 Players!

Forgot a couple of players: Updated!

Marshall - Keep

Gallagher - Sell

Gilks  - Number 3, Loan Out, Lewis needs to be 2nd choice when back.

Otsemobor - Keep

Drury - Keep

Dublin - Let Go / Retire

Halliday - Sell, not good enough

Murray - Squad Player, keep

Doherty - Sell, we need better and him off the wage bill

Shackall - Keep

Spillane - Keep Needs a chance

Rossi J - Loan, then compete as squad player

Cave  Brown - Loan, then squad player

Russel - Keep

Fozzy - Keep

Brellier - Keep

Smart - Needs to mature and go out on loan

Eagle - Not Good enough!

Cureton - Keep

Martin - Keep and play more

Strihavka - Unless he comes on, send back to Czech republic and buy a replacemnt

Brown - Keep as a squad player

Jarvis - Sell

We only have 17 players judging buy that!

So i would say we need

1. 2 Centre Halfs

2. A Right Winger

3. A Left Winger

4. A Goalscoring centre Midfielder

5. A Target Man

6. Antother young striker

That would give us 24 Players!

What a complete joke. A question for those of you that are wanting Gilks replaced, have you actually seen him play live at the ground? If yes, do you think that it is fair to judge someone on the basis of limited involvement in pre-season friendlies? Lets get real people.

The same question could be applied to Brellier. Lets judge him (no pun intended) when he is fully fit and had time to settle into a team that is still evolving and establishing its pattern after a huge chnage in personnel.

Desert Fox - the replace function simply means that I do not view him as haivng the quality to bring us forward.  It does not mean he should be shown the door immediately, just that I dont see much future potential.  The fact that they will not immediately be replaced gives them the opportunity to change our minds and impress us.  The same goes for herberts like Doherty - if he suddenly starts playing like John Terry then lets keep him - otherwise, plan for the future and keep your eyes open for long term better prospects.

Its called seeing beyond the end of your nose

Matty gilks will replace David Marshall as number 1 before the end of the SEASON im going to put my neck on the line and say!.

jas :)

Marshall - Keep

Gallagher - Sell

Gilks  - Number 3,

Otsemobor - Keep

Drury - replace, only had 1 good season

Dublin -  Retire/striker coach?

Doherty - Sell, too unreliable...bought as a striker to start off with

Shackell - Keep

Spillane - keep him, exellent, one for the future

Rossi J - Loan/sell. doesnt impress at all

Cave  Brown - Loan, then squad player. fantastic, best crosser since nedergaard

Russell - Keep

Fozzy - Keep

Brellier - Keep

Smart - again an exellent prospect, needs experience . be it loan or givean a chance in a cup game etc...

Cureton - Keep, only goalscorer atm

Martin - Keep and play more, sell for 10m

Strihavka - will be fine, not a target man but beautiful link up play

Brown - Keep as a squad player/make new videos......

Jarvis - offer short term contract.....shock to the system

To Buy,

Mc Geady- natural replacement for hucks, can play both wings....

we need centre backs- couldnt suggest who. (STOP SHOUTING DAVENPORT!!!!!)

we need a right back- unless cave brown is played.

a striker as well, regardless of age just need someone who can get goals when played

[quote user="Libbra Lives"]

Desert Fox - the replace function simply means that I do not view him as haivng the quality to bring us forward.  It does not mean he should be shown the door immediately, just that I dont see much future potential.  The fact that they will not immediately be replaced gives them the opportunity to change our minds and impress us.  The same goes for herberts like Doherty - if he suddenly starts playing like John Terry then lets keep him - otherwise, plan for the future and keep your eyes open for long term better prospects.

[/quote]

Please answer the question. Have you ever seen Gilks play. Its called seeing with your eyes, not talking out of your behind.

Once again I agree with just about everything Indy said, bar his opinion of Eagle. The boy has NO pace whatsoever. The job of a winger is to cross, presuming he can reach the ball before his granny. Eagle goes, no matter his left footed advantage; we have lappin, hucks, murray, chadwick, maybe fotheringham and at a push martin that can play left side.

[quote user="Desert Fox"][quote user="Libbra Lives"]

[/quote]

Please answer the question. Have you ever seen Gilks play. Its called seeing with your eyes, not talking out of your behind.

[/quote]

I''ve seen Gilks play - for the reserves at home to Luton recently.

We should definitely keep him. Very solid keeper, and very loud. Confident on crosses, and on shots, a very good buy for a free transfer, especially considering his age. He''s only 24, so how can he not be a good asset for the future?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]

As other''s have, I''ve put down the one''s I disagree with:

Disagree, has shown during his time at Rochdale that he has the attributes keepers need, and being fair, unless you''re the likes of Chelsea etc, you simply can''t have two top class keepers, one of whom is likely to be happy sat on the bench, and you''re paying top dollar for them to do so.

Disagree. He''s still very young, and defenders almost always mature far later than other positions. He needs to be getting the match experience however to develop his game, so really should be farmed out on loan for a year or two.

50/50 - This is no slight on his ability, but more to do with the fact that his longer term goals seem to be a return to the midlands to be with his family. If he was willing to stay however, he has the potential to do well in a coaching role (assuming he gets the relevant qualifications), and could still manage some games as an emergency backup option.

Completely disagree. Brellier is the holding player we''ve been lacking since the days of Gary Holt. He has far better passing ability than Holt ever did, and his reading of the game is also very good. He''s struggled for fitness so far, but when he''s fully match fit, he''s a cult hero in the making.

Disagree, we need players like Russell who have the drive and desire to grind results at times. He''ll run for ever, but unlike Hughes, can actually pass a ball, and has a decent shot on him. If Brellier wasn''t fit, he''d be my first choice to cover the defensive role in his stead.

Totally disagree. He clearly struggled last season (not playing for months can''t have helped), but this season came back leaner and ready to show his abilities. Was outstanding in the Southampton game, and although one game doesn''t make a player, it clearly shows the ability he does have, and deserves to be given the chance to demonstrate this more regularly.

Disagree. For me Croft''s position isn''t right wing. He''s better through the middle or as an attacking midfielder. He has had some cracking games there for England U-sides, and also for Man City. A definite player for the future.

I don''t.

Disagree. On that principle, we can bin off the likes of Lennon and Routledge as they''re too lightweight, even the great Garrincha for Brazil, he''s not good enough? He''s still young FFS and has shown that he has a wicked left foot, but needs to develop his overall game. Well worth a longer contract.

Disagree, he''s not poor, his hold up play is excellent as is his link-up play, and being fair, very few ''target'' men, score 15-20 a season. Needs to score to get things moving, but clearly a good option alongside Curo.

Agreed, he does, but he''d also be my first choice companion for Curo.

[/quote]

Blimey, if they`re all that good we should walk the league........

Marshall STAY: looking like a good acquisition and could provide stability at the back that we lacked last season.

Looks ok for now, decent.

Good to have in the squad.

Lewis: STAY: doing good things at Morecombe and hopefully can learn from his U21 experiences.

Definitely worth holding on to.

Gallagher: GO: a poor keeper.  Send him back to Scotland and free up his wages

Not good enough but his attitude as been top notch.

Otsemobor: STAY: looking like a great signing. Adds an attacking dimension we never had with Colin

Excellent signing, maybe slightly iffy defensively but exciting going forward.

Murray: too early to comment but I''ve heard good things, and Marshall rates him.  Squad player I reckon.

Did you expect Marshall to come out and say he thinks he''s sh*t??  I think you''re right about squad player.

Doherty REPLACE: always been a poor player and contributes little to the side.  We desperately need a leader at the back!

The Doc is a decent player, but badly needs confidence and a better defender alongside him.

Shackell STAY: will develop into a better player once he develops a partnership with a more able CB

Will always be average, like the Doc he needs a stronger defender alongside him. But ideally both him and the Doc need to be replaced.

Drury STAY: can do a job on the left.  Ups his game when we play well as a team

Can''t argue with that.

Rossi Jarvis: LOAN: has potential for the future

Not going to make it.

Never looked like he was going to make it.

Cave-Brown: STAY: squad player with potential

Go, not good enough. Not likely to threaten Semmy.

Shame he didn''t play for Norwich for longer. Has proven to be an excellent signing by Worthy.

Spillane: STAY: high potential - needs to be eased into the first team picture

Decent potential, not "high potential" A very long way to go before he''s ready.

Good signing, started to see in the Cardiff game what he''s going to be about. Shouldn''t have been subbed.

Lots of energy, works hard for the cause and capable of finding the back of the net.

Lappin: STAY: good signing - skillful winger and cover for Drury

Agreed.

Huckerby: STAY: a good option from the bench in the longer term

Huckerby will never accept being a player who comes off the bench but obviously he''ll stay as long as he''s a regular feature in the starting lineup.

Clearly looks like he''s got the hunger for the game at the moment and if that 20mins against Saints is anything to go by then he''s going to be a very big player.

Played really well so far this season, should have played more than he has as well. Bad decisions by the manager. Works very very hard as well.

Looks unconvincing so far. Used to be think he was a good player but not done much for us so far. Left Semmy exposed far too much against Cardiff. Should not make the team ahead of Crofty.

Agreed. Decent left foot but absolutely nothing else.

Martin STAY: exciting prospect

Good prospect but still a little way to go.

Ryan Jarvis: STAY: he has the talent, should be in the first team picture

Definitely go, he was probably good for his age group but he is never going to be good enough for this level. Doesn''t have enough pace, isn''t strong, a bit lazy and just isn''t a threat.

Cureton: STAY: has a lot to prove, but not a great deal of time to prove it

Not a long term answer but should net enough goals this season to make him worth having.

Played really well so far this season. Has the ability to make other players look better by going a lot of good work around the box.

Indeed.

Renton: STAY: looking good

Good sort of stocky build, worth keeping.