Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

You think we paid a lot for Marshall?

Well i certainly thought Grant had pushed the boat out a little to get Marshall.Then i saw this...http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/6932931.stm

Have we paid a lot for David Marshall? No, I think he could prove to be the bargain of the century. We get quite accustomed to footballers being spoken about in greatly exaggerated terms, but when Granty said that David can be worth 15 to 20 extra points a season, I think he could be right. I''m fairly confident that Marshall is a better ''keeper than Green. Time will tell of course.

As a proud Scotsman who attends nearly all our international games, I''ve seen Craig Gordon on a regular basis and the guy is top, top quality. Without exaggeration, I''d class him as the best British keeper and up there with the best in Europe. People pay ridiculous sums of money for strikers to get 20 goals a season so if PG is correct and claims a good keeper can get you an extra 15 points, it doesn''t seem like quite such an outrageous sum of money.

It also suggests that signing Dave Marshall for less than £1m could be an absolute bargain...

Gianluigi Buffon for £32m from Parma to Juventus in 2001.

Unless there''s been a bigger transfer since then...

The British record transfer fee for a goalkeeper is Fabien Barthez to Manchester United in 2000 for £7.8m.

[quote user="Northern Canary"]What is the most a goalie has ever been sold for?[/quote]Leaving aside the likes of Buffon and Toldo,

this has to be a record. If it happens. Certainly in England anyway…It''s crazy money isn''t it? Romanov must have something to do with it!!

If you look at all transer fees for British players these days they are all over-inflated, Dyer to West Ham was called off because Newcastle upped the price to 8million! I mean how can he really be worth that much when Man City pay 4.8 million for Martin Petrov a similar player of maybe an even higher standard! This is also the case in Darren Bent who cost 16.8 million and he is not even first choice striker for England, then you have Shaun WP who was a mere 23 million! It is no wonder these days that managers would prefer to go abroad!

[quote user="Northern Canary"]What is the most a goalie has ever been sold for?[/quote]

How much did Chelsea buy Petr Cech for? I think he was quite pricey if I remember rightly.

[quote user="canaryjock"]

It also suggests that signing Dave Marshall for less than £1m could be an absolute bargain...

[/quote]

He certainly looks the dog''s danglies, doesn''t he!!!? I agree that a decent goalie can win you quite a few points. If you look back over our promotion season, Greeno kept us in the game or in the lead so many times. I''m certainly grateful that we got Marshall; it''s money well-spent. I''ve never understood why strikers traditionally cost so much more than goalkeepers and defenders. I know that "If you don''t score you don''t win" but it''s equally true that if you don''t concede you don''t lose. I s''pose you get more points for a win than for a draw though...

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="Northern Canary"]What is the most a goalie has ever been sold for?[/quote]

Leaving aside the likes of Buffon and Toldo, this has to be a record. If it happens. Certainly in England anyway…

It''s crazy money isn''t it? Romanov must have something to do with it!!
[/quote]

It will be a British record transfer fee for a goalkeeper, involving two British sides.

The goal is the most important position on the pitch. It''s no coincidence Chelsea won the league as Cech came in (even though Cudicini is a quality keeper he isn''t as good as Cech) or that Man Utd were unstoppable when they had Schmeichel in goal, when he left it went downhill and took them quite a while to recover.

If you have an exceptional goalkeeper (which I believe we have for this level - lets not compare him with those keepers previously mentioned but I believe is easily the best in the Championship and would get in quite a few Prem teams) then you can go far. Marshall is definitely a quality  piece of business.