Sign in to follow this  
Mr Gradgrind

Is our squad stronger?

Generally I think Peter Grant has done a good job in signings and made the squad stronger

Marshall (Stronger)

Gilks (Stronger)

Otsemoboor - Louis Jean (Stronger)

Brown - Thorne (Stronger) (since Brown will be a ''new'' player next season)

Cureton/Stravikha - Earnshaw (Stronger)

Brellier - McVeigh (Stronger)

Smith - Henderson (Stronger)

If we could get another quality midfielder in for season to replace Etuhu then I think the squad is stronger overall - a move in the right direction?

Without any doubt, it''s stronger. Most of us are still concerned about central defence and cover for left back. If these are dealt with we should have competition in every position and be even stronger.You are quite right to say that Brown is effectively a new player. The same could be said of Chadwick and Fozzy, from all accounts.Finally, the youngsters are all a year older and with first team experience in many cases. Jimmy Smith is the example of a younger player with confidence. What could happen when Spillane, Renton, Smart and others develop this kind of confidence?The future is yellow (and green)!

We need a quality defender and one more midfielder and i think we will have a better season than last, who knows if we can go for promotion or play offs, we''ll all just have to wait and see. 

Marshall  - Gallacher (stronger)

Gilks - nobody (stronger)

Otsemoboor - Louis Jean (Stronger)

Cureton - Earnshaw (weaker)

Brellier - McVeigh (Stronger)

Smith - Etuhu (undecided)

Stravikha - Thorne (stronger)

I think the squad is looking better, but should Safri go then again numbers will start looking low. As for your use of Brown, im afraid he has to be put as already at the club, MLJ was supposed to be a ''new'' player last season.  Unfortunatly Brown is injury prone, so he absenses are expected.

yeh, i feel there is a bit more competition for places, with the new additions,

which I hope turn out to be great signings.

I think it''s definately stronger, the players we released were dead-wood wheras those that have been bought in are all genuine contenders dor a starting place. What has struck me over the two friendlys this week is that if everyone is fit and available, we have two fairly good sides that we could field i.e,

Marshall                                                         Gallacher                      

Otsemebor  Doherty Shackell Drury                 Hughes  Spillane  Dublin  Lappin

Croft   Brellier  Smith  Huckerby             or       Chadwick  Safri  Fotheringham  Eagle

Cureton Strihavka                                              Brown  Martin

(Gilks,Cave-Brown,Jarvis Rossi,Jarvis Ryan)

Wheras finding enough players to fill the subs bench was a problem towards the back end of last sesaon, this season the problem will be who to leave out of the 16.

IMO you''d have to be a bit daft not to think we are stronger going into the new season, and I think we will also be more balanced.   

This time last year we had signed no-one and only got one player in, into a side that had underperformed during 05-06....and we also lost a couple of players only a few weeks in.  We were - even then - carrying MLJ and Thorne, who then had to be carried for the rest of the season.  This season we have (more than) replaced every leaver - including the dead wrights that were MLJ/Thorne who played next to no part.

Whether we''ll be strong enough, who (other than Smudger!) knows, but I''m willing to give them a chance before slagging them off, as all proper supporters ought to, imo.

There is of course still the question on the defence, but PG does seem to know what he''s doing so we have to give him a chance to get this sorted - he was quoted saying that he was looking to get 2-3 more people in, before Dickson left, and you''d have to think that defence was where this would be mostly aimed at.

On paper I would say stronger, but only time will tell, it is not just about individual players, it is about the team, but based on last year we can''t be much worse.

Once Granty has finished getting in the players he wants, to build HIS team, the team will be much stronger than we give them credit for.  I won''t say that we will be top of the league, however I do believe firmly that we will do much much better this season. You have a few players on the pitch that have something to prove this season, which IMO will make the difference [;)]

last season                                  

galacher

colin  doc shacks drury

croft  safri etuhu hucks

earnie  dublin

this season

marshal(stronger)

ostembor dublin  shacks drury

chadwick brellier smith/safs hucks

cureton   strihavka

on paper last seasons attacking line up was definately stronger im hoping that the holding player and attacking player in mifeild will work but i have my doubts over the attack no pace is the problem for me.