Sign in to follow this  
Mark Barham Appreciation Society

New Striker Options Fading ...

It seems Freddy Eastwood is off to Wolves, and on paper, I’m sure they probably offer him a better chance of Premiership football than we do anytime soon – so I can’t necessarily blame him.

Billy Sharpe obviously wants a move, but he’s touting around for the biggest deal he can get and it doesn’t really look like being us.  In fact, he will most likely end up at Wolves as well.

Derek Riordan appears to be staying at Celtic.  I think we’ve missed out on that young MK Dons chap (I believe he’s gone to Leicester ?).  Which kinda leaves us with Jamie Cureton.  He’s keen on us, is playing on his previous ties with Peter Grant and had a good season last time around.  But at 31, he’s not got a lot of years left in him at our level.

Time is running out.  Pre-season is only a couple of weeks away.  I kinda feel we are running out of decent proven transfer targets up front.  God forbid we should now go and sell Robert Earnshaw late on.  We could be really struggling for goals next season and that concerns me … that’s without even looking at our defence !

Hurray - 1st running out of time post when there is still 3 months before the window closes!

I do agree that a confirmed signing would be nice though. 

What worries me more is that the strikers we have been linked with are all earniesque, i.e. small, mobile goal poacher types. I''d like to see some action around a big hold up merchant to play alongside Earnie.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Hurray - 1st running out of time post when there is still 3 months before the window closes!

I do agree that a confirmed signing would be nice though. 

[/quote]

Ha ha, okay, I wasn''t trying to say that time is running out so much, more that decent options, players that we''d all be happy to see arrive are running out.

But maybe time is running out too ...  We certainly want players in pre-season to get them bedded in, and we really don''t want to be last minute panic buying when the season has already started !

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]

What worries me more is that the strikers we have been linked with are all earniesque, i.e. small, mobile goal poacher types. I''d like to see some action around a big hold up merchant to play alongside Earnie.

[/quote]Do the names Dion Dublin and Chris Brown mean anything to you? Brown''s hold up play looked excellent and stood out a mile in the few games he played for us. We should concentrate on him, with Dion, rather than another. As for current targets being too similar to Earnie, i take the point but personally would be very happy to have Earnie and Cureton. Not neccessarily to play together but competing for the same place. Earnie needs that competition, can have off days and shouldn''t be expected toplay every single game in thes season without burning out or getting injured. Grant has said we shouldn''t rely on Earnie and Cureton would take the pressure right off him. As has been said in another post re Cureton, we should go get him pronto.

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="Hairy Canary"]

[/quote]

Do the names Dion Dublin and Chris Brown mean anything to you? Brown''s hold up play looked excellent and stood out a mile in the few games he played for us. We should concentrate on him, with Dion, rather than another.

As for current targets being too similar to Earnie, i take the point but personally would be very happy to have Earnie and Cureton. Not neccessarily to play together but competing for the same place. Earnie needs that competition, can have off days and shouldn''t be expected toplay every single game in thes season without burning out or getting injured. Grant has said we shouldn''t rely on Earnie and Cureton would take the pressure right off him. As has been said in another post re Cureton, we should go get him pronto.
[/quote]

I take what you are saying and quality and competition in any possition is a good thing. Having said that we are only going to afford a certain number of new players and IMO we are much weaker in the big striker stakes. Dion was fine last season but was needed at the back for many games and its asking a lot to expect him to lead the line week after week. I for one don''t want all our eggs in Chris Brown''s basket!

We have good wing players who can centre the ball. We need someone who can head the ball in the middle to take advantage of that and to create chances for Earnie. We''ve not had that since Iwan left and that has left a huge hole that has meant that Huckerbys tallent often goes to waste.

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="Hairy Canary"]

[/quote]

Do the names Dion Dublin and Chris Brown mean anything to you? Brown''s hold up play looked excellent and stood out a mile in the few games he played for us. We should concentrate on him, with Dion, rather than another.

As for current targets being too similar to Earnie, i take the point but personally would be very happy to have Earnie and Cureton. Not neccessarily to play together but competing for the same place. Earnie needs that competition, can have off days and shouldn''t be expected toplay every single game in thes season without burning out or getting injured. Grant has said we shouldn''t rely on Earnie and Cureton would take the pressure right off him. As has been said in another post re Cureton, we should go get him pronto.
[/quote]

Brown does nout for me, looks very average, on top of that we need both strikers knocking in goals, i think Brown would struggle to reach double figures in a season.

Currently, according to the BBC website:

Billy Sharp is heading for showdown talks with Scunthorpe that could see him quit the club. (Daily Star)

Freddy Eastwood has pleaded with Southend to let him complete a £1.5m move to Wolves. (Daily Star)

OTBC

Brown good at holding up the ball? Wow, yo umust have been at different matches to me and I went to all the home games and several away. He was pretty awful in the air and knocked off the ball very easily. I''m amazed that someone thought his hold up play was good.

[quote user="Cheeky Monkey"]Brown good at holding up the ball? Wow, yo umust have been at different matches to me and I went to all the home games and several away. He was pretty awful in the air and knocked off the ball very easily. I''m amazed that someone thought his hold up play was good.[/quote]

Chris Browns link up play was quite decent to be fair to him. I''d be very interested in seeing if he could form a partnership with Earnie.