Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

If Chase was in charge.

(a) If Robert Chase was in charge I suspect that we would have sold Earnshaw by now, bought some Spurs reserves, blooded some more great talent from the academy conveyor belt, acquired a strong spine including a commanding centre-half from league 2.......and be well on our way towards re-establishing ourselves in the top tier.

(b) As it is we are 16th in the championship with debts of 22 million pounds, fresh out of parachute payments, and with Gallacher and Doherty as the keystones of our defence.

(c) And people have the nerve to call us realists negative. What on earth could be more negative than (b) above.

I suggest that Andrew Turner invites Robert Chase over for the weekend.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

oh and btw why? So he can give Andrew Turner tips on how to run the club we all support into the ground - isn''t it funny how quickly people forget and glorify someone who almost ruined us?

OTBC

[/quote]

(a) If Robert Chase was in charge I suspect that we would have sold Earnshaw by now, bought some Spurs reserves, blooded some more great talent from the academy conveyor belt, acquired a strong spine including a commanding centre-half from league 2.......and be well on our way towards re-establishing ourselves in the top tier.

(b) As it is we are 16th in the championship with debts of 22 million pounds, fresh out of parachute payments, and with Gallacher and Doherty as the keystones of our defence.

(c) And people have the nerve to call us realists negative. What on earth could be more negative than (b) above.

OTBC

[/quote]

This is what historians refer to as revisionism.

Got any good points for Hitler and Stalin BB?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]I thought Doherty was a spurs reserve?[/quote]

Caught me there Yankee, but you know what I mean!

Ian Crook, Ian Culverhouse, Mark Bowen etc - need I say more.

Mind you, the chap before Chase got us Martin Peters from Spurs.

[:D]

OTBC

More importantly, BlyBlyBabes, why do you consider your propaganda of such importance that you need a new thread every time you feel the need to do a bit of "boat rocking"?

Why don''t the moderators just start a sticky called "BlyBlyBabes Words of Wisdom"?

Then whenever you feel the need to make an unqualified, unsubstantiated or entirely unproveable statement designed only to stir up a bit of mud, you can do it without bothering the rest of us.

[quote user="Cobain18"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

oh and btw why? So he can give Andrew Turner tips on how to run the club we all support into the ground - isn''t it funny how quickly people forget and glorify someone who almost ruined us?

OTBC

[/quote][/quote]

Don''t talk nonsense cobain.

(a) Compare the on-the-field performance record under the 10 years or so of Chase with that under the 11 years or so of Smith.

(b) Chase left debts of about 6 million effectively collaterised by the roughly 11 million transfer values of Craig Bellamy and Keith O''Neill plus a thriving academy production line. Under Smith we have debts of about 22 million with only really Earnie (3-4 million) as a readily saleable asset of any significant value.

QED.

The sooner the Turners get to grips with things the better.

Argument done.[:D]

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

Chase walked out the door when we were 16th in this division having finished on 57 points, just like last season in fact [8-)] Sunderland and Derby were promoted that season, just like last season but thats where the similarities end.

Chase left the club on the brink of bankruptcy  and probably the only reason that the it''s still in existence is the fact that Mr Watling bought his shares and put up seven-figure guarantees at the bank.

I don''t believe your reality is negative in fact I believe it''s a total dream world. [S][ip]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Chase walked out the door when we were 16th in this division having finished on 57 points, just like last season in fact [8-)] Sunderland and Derby were promoted that season, just like last season but thats where the similarities end.

I don''t like to steal what other people say but Nutty Nigel i could not have put it better myself

Chase left the club on the brink of bankruptcy  and probably the only reason that the it''s still in existence is the fact that Mr Watling bought his shares and put up seven-figure guarantees at the bank.

I don''t believe your reality is negative in fact I believe it''s a total dream world. [S][ip]

[/quote]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"] bought some Spurs reserves[/quote]

Sounds great... [:|]

[/quote]

Yep. Like Ian Crook, Ian Culverhouse, Mark Bowen.

Few  better for us.

OTBC

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, Nutty, maybe the Smiths should walk out too - and leave it to Turner.

They''ve had their turn for 11 years or so and failed on the field. After all it is success on the field that we''re all after .......................aren''t we?

OTBC

Robert Chase brought us the great times we could not have dared to hope for before he made it happen. Smith has brought us times we wished would never come to Carrow Road again.

That''s the difference between being football minded as opposed to obsessed by saucepans. Get her out I say and tell her to take her bloody flan dishes with her! 

BlyBlyBabes wrote:

OTBC

Nutty wrote

Chase walked out the door when we were 16th in this division having finished on 57 points, just like last season in fact Confused [8-)] Sunderland and Derby were promoted that season, just like last season but thats where the similarities end.

Exactly so. Chase left after 10 years of unprecedented success on the field. The Smiths are still with us after 11 years of comparative failure at our core business, which is football - remember?

At leasr you are not perpetuating the myth that Delia Smith saved our club. We must be thankful for small mercies, I suppose.

I don''t believe your reality is negative in fact I believe it''s a total dream world. Sleep [S]Paradise [ip]

There is scarcely a successful person born who did not dream. It is the capacity to turn dreams into reality that separates the wheat from the chaff. I suspect that an incapacity to dream of the great heights reached before by great men is at the root of our current malaise.

Exit Nutty at stage left.[{][{][{][;)]

OTBC

[quote user="Mook"]

More importantly, BlyBlyBabes, why do you consider your propaganda of such importance that you need a new thread every time you feel the need to do a bit of "boat rocking"?

Why don''t the moderators just start a sticky called "BlyBlyBabes Words of Wisdom"?

Then whenever you feel the need to make an unqualified, unsubstantiated or entirely unproveable statement designed only to stir up a bit of mud, you can do it without bothering the rest of us.

[/quote]

Then Mook. Don''t open my threads. Life is really very simple.

You know what they say about curiosity and the cat.

[:-*]

OTBC

If Chris Sutton isn''t here at the start of the season then Robert Chase won''t be either!

Bly

While I agree the football was better under Chase, the world of football in the 80s and 90s was a vastly different place to it is now.  Sky came in and changed it all.  We had a successful season in 92/93 at the very start of their influence on the game and finished third and qualified for Europe.  What happened after Milan?  Walker asked for money to strengthen and Chase refused (as he of course knew his business decisions had helped take the club to the verge of meltdown).  The banks then forced him into the sales of Ward and Newsome.  This man WAS a supporter, but got too involved in land deals and spending a fortune on frills inside Carrow Road.  Did you ever see his office suites for example? 

We were relegated and plummted downhill.  He brought in O''Neill. Fantastic, but he lied to Martin re transfer kitty monies.....Fact. So much for the "football dept" coming first. 

We were weeks away from meltdown before Geoffrey Watling came in and bought his shares, then Delia and Michael took them on and became the major shareholders.  Since then it''s been mostly downhill, yes.  Not the fault of Delia and Michael being obsessed with catering, but not being able to live with the big boys and transfers and wages going into Hollywood proportions. IF we had stayed in the Premier League in 94 (by investing in the team) where could we be now? 

Chase made some bad decisions, so have the present board.  The constant in all of this is the fact Delia and co inherited a huge amount of debt.  If we were still on the playing fields of the early 90s then we might have made it big and been able to compete.  As it is now we probably never will.  Big TV money - huge wages and huge aspirations have left the Premiership to the same three or four clubs to battle it out every season.

The academy has suffered from lack of funding due mainly to the debts the present board have inherited.  Also rules and regs regarding where we can source young players from have changed.  How well would we have done without buying and selling players in the 80s particularly?  But, as I have already pointed out, the world of football is so different now you simply cannot compare the reigns of Chase and Delia in monetary terms. 

What if Delia now leaves the club and Chase were to take over.  Do you think we would go straight back to the days of old? 

[quote user="Cluck "]

Smith has brought us times we wished would never come to Carrow Road again.

[/quote]You were saying that when we took the Championship by storm, were you?[quote user="Cluck "]

Robert Chase brought us the great times we

could not have dared to hope for before he made it happen.

[/quote]

And you were saying that when Robert Chase baled out and left the Club with (for that time) huge debts and little assets?"Football-minded" - as in having a round PVC head filled with nothing but compressed air. Is that you, Cluck?

Did Chase pick the team? Did Chase take the training sessions? Did he take his transfer targets to Stringer/Walker and say "this is who i want?" Yes he over saw the success but i cant agreee that he was fully responsible.

Oh well done to Malcolm Glazer on guiding UTD to the premiership title! ; )

[quote user="Old Boy"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

You were saying that when we took the Championship by storm, were you?

[quote user="Cluck "]

Robert Chase brought us the great times we could not have dared to hope for before he made it happen.

[/quote]

And you were saying that when Robert Chase baled out and left the Club with (for that time) huge debts and little assets?

"Football-minded" - as in having a round PVC head filled with nothing but compressed air. Is that you, Cluck?
[/quote]

Classic brainwashing of the naive OB....

If you consider one Division 2 Championship (which is all the PR spun "Championship is) in ten years is anything to write home about I suggest you and Smith deserve each other. Under previous regimes we have done that and much much more...not forgetting 3rd in the Prem, Cup Finals and Semis... and a memorable trip into Europe. Tagged onto this forgettable Smith inspired Div.2 spectacle...can we add a humiliating and pathetic Premier League season where we became the laughing stock of the nation?

Again the brainwashed opinion on Chase who left the club in no worse state than it is now...and at least we had something special during his time in control. I believe the debt figure is £20+ currently under Smith and her puppets...somewhat more than under Chase and with a hopeless squad on the pitch...a second rate manager and no youth worth their wages.

Short memories lead to irrational logic....and far too many have swallowed what the new "saviour" wanted you to believe...with the help of her resident PR guru Munby of course. Pull off the blinkers and see life as it is instead of accepting what you have been led to believe.

People are barracking Delia for not investing in the team when we got relegated but why oh why did Chase not invest when we finished 3rd? For me that was one of the biggest own goals in our history. I doubt we will ever have the opportunity to emulate that again.

But as people keep saying.....short memories.

[quote user="Cluck "]

I believe the debt figure is £20+ currently under Smith and her puppets.

[/quote]

Excellent. I got paid today, will £25 cover it?.

Are you back for good now then you lovely old Clucker? It''s just that I seem to remember you saying that posting on here when you were no longer going to attend games would make you a hypocrite.

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="Old Boy"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

You were saying that when we took the Championship by storm, were you?

[quote user="Cluck "]

Robert Chase brought us the great times we could not have dared to hope for before he made it happen.

[/quote]

And you were saying that when Robert Chase baled out and left the Club with (for that time) huge debts and little assets?

"Football-minded" - as in having a round PVC head filled with nothing but compressed air. Is that you, Cluck?
[/quote]

Classic brainwashing of the naive OB....

If you consider one Division 2 Championship (which is all the PR spun "Championship is) in ten years is anything to write home about I suggest you and Smith deserve each other. Under previous regimes we have done that and much much more...not forgetting 3rd in the Prem, Cup Finals and Semis... and a memorable trip into Europe. Tagged onto this forgettable Smith inspired Div.2 spectacle...can we add a humiliating and pathetic Premier League season where we became the laughing stock of the nation?

Again the brainwashed opinion on Chase who left the club in no worse state than it is now...and at least we had something special during his time in control. I believe the debt figure is £20+ currently under Smith and her puppets...somewhat more than under Chase and with a hopeless squad on the pitch...a second rate manager and no youth worth their wages.

Short memories lead to irrational logic....and far too many have swallowed what the new "saviour" wanted you to believe...with the help of her resident PR guru Munby of course. Pull off the blinkers and see life as it is instead of accepting what you have been led to believe.

[/quote]

Cluck are you seriously that deluded or are you just winding us up? Robert Chase brought glory to the club to a certain extent. Ridsdale brought glory to Leeds Utd before the finanaces caught up with him - same thing Cluck, yo can''t sacrifice finances for success or you end up with no football club. And btw we are in a better position now than we were then - then it was different with less sky coverage and less money in the game with Chase WE WOULD HAVE GONE BANKRUPT

BlyBlyBabes and Cluck -

Your Tardis is obviously broken so I will invite you to take a trip with me in mine [ap]

Season 84/85 we won the Milk Cup but unfortunately got relegated afterwards. Unfortunately because when we completed our fixtures we were 5th from bottom 8 points clear of Coventry who were in the last relegation place. However Coventry went on to win their last 3 games, all played after the end of the regular season and including a 4-1 victory over Champions Everton a full 2 weeks after the scheduled season was over.

The board of the time (Watling/South) had had unprecedented success over the previous 15 years but this didn''t stop letters to the press demanding their resignation the following summer. Relegation, despite the dubious circumstances, was a bitter pill to swallow. However, the board remained in tact and so did the team. We held on to the likes of  Woods, Bruce, Watson and Deehan and actually added Culverhouse, Drinkell, Phelan and Williams.

It was during this season that Chase got control of the club. It happened because of some "off the pitch arguments" and a clash between Sir Arthur South and Jimmy Jones. I don''t remember the full details but it was something to do with the contract to build the new main stand. Maybe some posters more obsessed with "off the pitch activities" remember the details. Anyway, as I remember it, South and Watling resigned and a new board was elected and the Chase years began. At the time many fans were pleased to see the back of South and Watling believing they had wasted money that could have been spent on the team! But many others were saddened by their departure, remembering the good times they gave us and their forsight in appointing Saunders and then Bond.

Now then, the reason I set my tardis to go back to 1985 was so we can compare the state of the club from when Chase took over to the time he left. There really is no comparison between what he and Jones wrestled away from Sir Arthur South and what he left for the current board. This board and Nigel Worthingtons achievements in getting us promoted were the equivelent of Watling and Ron Saunders back in 1972. Unfortunately their subsequent performance in sustaining that success does not measure up. But don''t try to compare 10 years with Smith against 10 years of Chase because Chase didn''t have to take over the mess which he left.

If Robert Chase was still at the helm we would be on the cusp of being sold to a  middle Eastern Consortium for a whopping eight figure sum. 

Supporters groups would be up in arms at the thought of being owned by people whose names they aren’t able to pronounce and terrified of the prospect of having £50m being made available to our new manager Martin O’Neil.  Martin was of course delighted to renew his acquaintance with the club for an unprescidented fourth time and promises to have the club playing in Europe again with three years and not just on a pre-season tour to Holland.

From there Robert would have taken himself off to Michael Powell Rolls Royce ready to pay notes for his brand new Phantom, just the thing for the larger gent who prefers to be driven.  From there it would be off to Savills for a more secure home in the £5m bracket to protect himself from the baying hoards.

We can but dream

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

BlyBlyBabes and Cluck -

Your Tardis is obviously broken so I will invite you to take a trip with me in mine [ap]

Season 84/85 we won the Milk Cup but unfortunately got relegated afterwards. Unfortunately because when we completed our fixtures we were 5th from bottom 8 points clear of Coventry who were in the last relegation place. However Coventry went on to win their last 3 games, all played after the end of the regular season and including a 4-1 victory over Champions Everton a full 2 weeks after the scheduled season was over.

The board of the time (Watling/South) had had unprecedented success over the previous 15 years but this didn''t stop letters to the press demanding their resignation the following summer. Relegation, despite the dubious circumstances, was a bitter pill to swallow. However, the board remained in tact and so did the team. We held on to the likes of  Woods, Bruce, Watson and Deehan and actually added Culverhouse, Drinkell, Phelan and Williams.

It was during this season that Chase got control of the club. It happened because of some "off the pitch arguments" and a clash between Sir Arthur South and Jimmy Jones. I don''t remember the full details but it was something to do with the contract to build the new main stand. Maybe some posters more obsessed with "off the pitch activities" remember the details. Anyway, as I remember it, South and Watling resigned and a new board was elected and the Chase years began. At the time many fans were pleased to see the back of South and Watling believing they had wasted money that could have been spent on the team! But many others were saddened by their departure, remembering the good times they gave us and their forsight in appointing Saunders and then Bond.

Now then, the reason I set my tardis to go back to 1985 was so we can compare the state of the club from when Chase took over to the time he left. There really is no comparison between what he and Jones wrestled away from Sir Arthur South and what he left for the current board. This board and Nigel Worthingtons achievements in getting us promoted were the equivelent of Watling and Ron Saunders back in 1972. Unfortunately their subsequent performance in sustaining that success does not measure up. But don''t try to compare 10 years with Smith against 10 years of Chase because Chase didn''t have to take over the mess which he left.

[/quote]

One of the best posts I have ever read on this forum.  One in the eye for Cluck, BlyBly, 1st, Whittle and co. Well done NN.............

[quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

BlyBlyBabes and Cluck -

[/quote]

One of the best posts I have ever read on this forum.  One in the eye for Cluck, BlyBly, 1st, Whittle and co. Well done NN.............

[/quote]

I''ll second that!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

BlyBlyBabes and Cluck -

[/quote]

well said NN!

To be honest when I hear the slagging off of Sharpe - League 1''s top goalscorer, and Ostemobor - League 1''s best right back by the usual suspects  I do wonder why they bother - who do they want us to sign?  LETS HAVE SOME NAMES SMUDGER/CLUCK??  Maybe 7 million for Nugent - Am I right?? 

When rumours of £2 million bids are still going in despite the Turners 2 million loan to offset the deficit caused by the parachute payments and overpaid players like donkey and hooves I find reasons to be positive about the way the club may now be moving.  Despite the fact the board may have made a total balls-up over Worthless and lack of investment in the past.