Sign in to follow this  
Dame to Blame

Lay of Brown

Charlton?  Who conceeded fewer goals per min than any other centre back during his time here;  and then used a stop gap at full back (both sides) and in midfield despite yrs of prem experience at where? centre back? 

Lay of Brown - another cry to have him dismissed?  or the action we want to see him doing as our target man next season?

He has not inspired yet but he remains a useful member of the squad while we have no viable alternative as a target man (Dion will playon just over every other game).  With a good pre season working with his likely partners things could improve - remember gooers wanted to sell Henry after 6 months because he looked so poor...     

[quote user="dr livingstone"]

smudger, as you say on a regular basis that ou dont go to carrow road

how can you have an opinion on a player you havnt seen play ?

[/quote]

Do I have to go to Carrow Road to see him play???

Sunderland fans who went to the Stadfium of Light for many, many games never saw him play either!!!

Unlike many on here I do not need to see a player a hundred times before I know whether he is c**p or not... frankly seeing Brown once or twice is enough to tell any astute judge of football that.  [;)]

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

thats exactly my point Bigmark.

Would Chris Brown have scored the goals that Chris Martin scored to move us away from the drop zone?

when we signed him we had Lost Earnie to injury, Hucks was going through a bad spell, and Martin wasnt even really on the scene. Grant clearly signed Brown as the main man, charged with the job of taking us up the division.

he hasnt looked anything like scoring in his time here.

and people say "oh Iwan was bad in his first season" very true.. but Iwan was a proven goal scorer, had scored in the top 2 divisions for Leicester, Wolves, Huddersfield and Watford. Chris Brown has struggled to find the net whever he has been. his goal ratio isnt great and getting sent off for hand ball plus gifting Blackpool a goal in the 2 cup games with them hasnt filled me with confidence.

jas :)

[/quote]

I think you will find that he was signed a couple of days before Earnie got injured.

I can''t disagree with the comments that he didn''t ever look like scoring in the games he played but I do think he should be given more than a few games to prove himself. He was bought as a partner for Earnie to play as a "hold up" man - his job won''t be to score 20 goals a season it will be to link play up, win some flick on''s for Earnie and contribute 10-15 goals a season. Whether he can do that or even get a chance is another matter. Currently, he is probably our most likely option to play the target man role. In my opinion Dublin was poor when he played up front last year and certainly can''t play 90 mins up front - I cannot recall too many games where he caused the opposition defenders too many problems other than the Tamworth game......

Presumably then we all thought Thorne was a great signing as he had a proven scoring record at Champs level?

[/quote]

Not really NO... While Thorne had a great record for both Stoke and Cardiff he was clearly past his best... if he was clearly still capable of banging them in then surely a decent manager like Dave Jones would not of offloaded him on a FREE???

When we signed Iwan... he was a Welsh international who had score 112 league goals for various clubs in his career (including a few at Premiership level with Leicester)...

Iwan was 29 and clearly had at least 3 more years for improvement, while Thorne due to injury problems etc was clearly nearing the end of his career.

With Iwan it was always just a matter of time before he came good!!!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="dr livingstone"]

smudger, as you say on a regular basis that ou dont go to carrow road

how can you have an opinion on a player you havnt seen play ?

[/quote]

Do I have to go to Carrow Road to see him play???

Sunderland fans who went to the Stadfium of Light for many, many games never saw him play either!!!

Unlike many on here I do not need to see a player a hundred times before I know whether he is c**p or not... frankly seeing Brown once or twice is enough to tell any astute judge of football that.  [;)]

[/quote]

This is feeble, must try harder. [:)]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Stevie Wonder"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

thats exactly my point Bigmark.

Would Chris Brown have scored the goals that Chris Martin scored to move us away from the drop zone?

when we signed him we had Lost Earnie to injury, Hucks was going through a bad spell, and Martin wasnt even really on the scene. Grant clearly signed Brown as the main man, charged with the job of taking us up the division.

he hasnt looked anything like scoring in his time here.

and people say "oh Iwan was bad in his first season" very true.. but Iwan was a proven goal scorer, had scored in the top 2 divisions for Leicester, Wolves, Huddersfield and Watford. Chris Brown has struggled to find the net whever he has been. his goal ratio isnt great and getting sent off for hand ball plus gifting Blackpool a goal in the 2 cup games with them hasnt filled me with confidence.

jas :)

[/quote]

I think you will find that he was signed a couple of days before Earnie got injured.

I can''t disagree with the comments that he didn''t ever look like scoring in the games he played but I do think he should be given more than a few games to prove himself. He was bought as a partner for Earnie to play as a "hold up" man - his job won''t be to score 20 goals a season it will be to link play up, win some flick on''s for Earnie and contribute 10-15 goals a season. Whether he can do that or even get a chance is another matter. Currently, he is probably our most likely option to play the target man role. In my opinion Dublin was poor when he played up front last year and certainly can''t play 90 mins up front - I cannot recall too many games where he caused the opposition defenders too many problems other than the Tamworth game......

Presumably then we all thought Thorne was a great signing as he had a proven scoring record at Champs level?

[/quote]

Not really NO... While Thorne had a great record for both Stoke and Cardiff he was clearly past his best... if he was clearly still capable of banging them in then surely a decent manager like Dave Jones would not of offloaded him on a FREE???

When we signed Iwan... he was a Welsh international who had score 112 league goals for various clubs in his career (including a few at Premiership level with Leicester)...

Iwan was 29 and clearly had at least 3 more years for improvement, while Thorne due to injury problems etc was clearly nearing the end of his career.

With Iwan it was always just a matter of time before he came good!!!

[/quote]

A small point but I believe he only left Cardiff as they couldn''t afford him to keep him on his current contract. I''m not saying he was a good signing and why we gave him a 2 year deal but appeared to be reluctant to offer the much better Matty Svenson the same I''ll never. In my opinion possibly a worse decision than releasing Malky.

Stevie - you should know not to challenge Smudger on his memory of events - all he can remember is that he was right at the time, whatever that means he should have said.On the free transfer - wasn''t it was a bosman?Personally from my own observations  Brown is better than Thorne by a few miles, even though I have seen Brown play once and Thorne twice and Brown got himself stupidly sent off!Number of matches are because I only get to matches in the north west and was away for the preston match. Norwich is a 9 hr round train trip away!I haven''t yet seen Martin play, (but would deeply like to - I should get to some matches in August) but I reckon he is better than either player as he scores more often.