Sign in to follow this  
chicken

I don't like rumours but . . . . .

Right, its not worth the hassel of me going through the way in which I have heard this rumour and nor would I take it as gospel. But I find it a bit of a dilema, a poser of which we can have a little fun with.

The rumour has it that along with the players out of contract (excluding Dublin who he has publicly stated he wants to stay) Grant wants to get shot of 5 other players. This is apparently due to strange clauses in their contracts which he is not entirely happy with. Something along the lines that if they are not the highest earner or the second highest earner or the like they are alowed to talk to suitors should offers come in. Apparently Fleming was one of these.

So the dilema I will pose is the above but with two slants so I would like two sets of 5 players if they would be different. Firstly who would you get rid of? And secondly who do you think will be gone come next season? (remember there has to be five. For the ease of this excersise I have included a list of all of the players currently on contract with the club and when their contract runs out.

I have also removed Luke Chadwick, Fotheringham, Lappin, Chris Brown, Chris Martin as it is unlikely that Grant will get rid of players he has only just signed or brought through in the case of Martin. You will also notice that this will leave us with a squad of 19 or 20 if you include Martin who is yet to sign professional terms.

Now for mine:

Who I would release/sell in order of preference:

1. Henderson

2. Gallacher

3. Fisk

4. Halliday

5. Doherty

Who I think is more likely to go in the summer:

1. Henderson

2. Safri

3. Fisk

4. Hughes

5. Halliday

SQUAD:

Dickson Etuhu - June 2009

Jason Shackell - June 2009

Matthew Halliday - June 2007, with further one year option

Paul Gallacher - June 2008

Joe Lewis - ?

Gary Doherty - June 2007, with further one year option

Michael Spillane - June 2009

Jurgen Colin - June 2008

Rossi Jarvis - June 2008

Andy Hughes - June 2008

Youssef Safri - June 2008

Andrew Fisk - June 2007, with further one year option

Ryan Jarvis - June 2008

Adam Drury - June 2007, with further one-year option

Darren Huckerby - June 2008

Ian Henderson - June 2007

Robert Earnshaw - June 2009

Robert Eagle - June 2007, with further one year option

Andrew Cave-Brown - June 2007, with further one year option

Lee Croft - June 2009

At the moment a lot of players are playing for their personal futures because relegation wouls see most of them sink to sub-championship level without trace and not with Norwich either.

Let me firstly say that its a shame we have overworked Dion because of injuries.

Dion could probably play for another 2 years as a bench player for cover up front and at the back.

He could bring along the Younger players, especially a new central defender to partner Shacks.

Dion is respected, having played at the highest levels, would make a great coach. 

As for who is leaving......... I think its likely........

Docherty

Henderson

Thorne

Earnie

Gallacher

Fisk

Safri and Etuhu if we get offers.

My, my you are well informed Chicken. This is a very interesting way of the club canvassing supporters'' views.

Logically we can conclude that the 2 players you think that the club will seek to move on because of ''strange contract clauses'' are the 2 that you personally would not move on i.e. Saffri and Hughes - as it is highly unlikely that Fisk, Halliday and Henderson would have such clauses.

If this scenario is correct, then I''m sure that most of us would be happy to move on Hughes, but would want to find a way of keeping on Saffri.

If  I was Peter Grant, I would very tempted to seek to build the team around Saffri  and make him captain with Shackell as vice-captain - both are 100% players who operate in the spine of the team. One is a very talented and hugely experienced international and the other is a local lad making good. This could do wonders for both their self-confidence and the team spirit. I would also seek Saffri''s advice and help in tapping the North African market for a couple of other good international players who are maybe just short of Prem quality or seeking a shop window to display their talents in England for a couple of years.

I fear that your chosen 5 may be correct, but I would prefer to make it 6 by adding Doherty and Gallacher and subtracting Saffri.

Sorry if I haven''t followed your rules entirely, but that''s the way I see it.

OTBC

Have you considered who else from the Academy will get 1st year pro contracts apart from Chris Martin

Gallagher and Doherty are probably both on decent wages as they joined before our premiership season. I wouldnt be suprised to see a complete reshuffle with the goalkeepers, and i dont think doherty is safe, he''s been dropped already.

Henderson i''m sure will go, as will halliday, fisk. Eagle (becasue he''s been in the squad) and Cave-brown (meant to be highly rated might stay.

Colin could be one of the big 5, i think PG is planning for next year without him, and the same could be said for safri who is bound to be a big earner.

Stay Definately: Lewis,. Drury, Shackall, lappin, fozzie, croft, chadwick, Huckerby, Martin

Stay Prob, Eagle, Cave - brown, etuhu, Hughes, Ryan J, Rossi J, spillane, Dublin

Think Could Go; Doherty, Safri, Gallagher, colin

Definately off;  Louisjean, Halliday, fisk, mcveigh, thorne

I think that covers everyone. One things for ssure, we''ll need some more players! Especially considering the 4 underlined really need to be loaned out.

I am glad someone mentioned McVeigh, he has frustrated me so much over recvent seasons, and I think its time he moved on.I hope we keep both Safri and Colin, as though there wages will be high, i dont think necessarily any higher than the likes of thorne, doherty or gallacher, and both seem to me to be able to play football, I have only seen Colin 3 times this season, but i have been impressed and thought with a natural winger in front of him he looked much better.Release i agree with, McVeigh, Thorne, Doherty, Louis jean and hendo dont know anything of Fisk and Halliday, but he doesnt seem to fancy them.I would also like us to sell Etuhu and Hughes, as i just dont think they can win us anything.  They may be useful now and then, but i just dont think good enough to do it over the season and get us up.This would need some serious activity on defenders and centre mids, plus we need a good goalkeeper and badly.  Liverpoool now appear to be upto 4 good ones, and man u 3, i know its unlikely but would be awesome to get one of them.  though as a whole i dont like loans.

Here are Mine:

Just GO:

1. Henderson

2. Louis Jean

3. Thorne

4. McVeigh

Dependening on Contract:

1. Doherty

2. Gallacher

3. Etuhu

4. Hughes

5. Colin

Dependent on Offers:

1. Earnshaw (£5m+)

2. Safri (£2m+)

Short Loan:

1. Eagle

2. Rossi Jarvis

3. Cave-Brown

Season-long Loan:

1. Spillane2. Lewis

---------------(with view to buy below)

3. Fisk

4. Halliday

Who I think is more likely to go in the summer:

1. Henderson

2. Louis Jean

3. Thorne

4. McVeigh

5. Doherty

+ Loans

Yep definately need some more players to get us up to:

no player in more than 2 categories, and not including the youth that aren''t "there" yet

2 goalies (?,Gallacher/?)

4 central defenders (Shackell, Doherty/?, ?, ?) + Dublin

OK - 2 right backs (Colin, Hughes)

OK - 2 left backs (Drury, Lappin)

OK - 2 right wing (Croft, Chadwick)

4 central mid (Etuhu, Safri, Fotheringham, ?)

OK - 2 left wing (Huckerby, Lappin)

6 strikers (Earnshaw, Martin, Brown, Jarvis, Huckerby, ?) - need (fast/free scoring) cover for Earnshaw

Of course we need to replace any of those that leave, but defense is a major priority.

Our squad is too small and even the likes of Hughes play an important role.

The five I would be looking to lose are Henderson, WLY, Thorne, Gallacher & Louis-Jean (already confirmed as going) and any of the youngsters that PG doesnt think will make it.

Even losing those 5 players means we will still be looking a 10 new faces by the time we get defensive cover in all positions (4/5) and a further central midfielder & striker.  That and the uncertainty on tactics (433 to 442 again last night) will undoubtedly impact the team at the start of next season as it takes time for these things to gel. 

I would personally get shot of:

Who I would release/sell in order of preference:

1. Henderson

2. Gallacher

3. Fisk

4. Halliday

5. Hughes