Sign in to follow this  
The Duke of Norfolk

Championship player prices gone silly

Is it me or do transfer fees for Championship players seem to have gone silly?

Hulse to Sheff U for £2.5 million (never played in Prem) 

Steve Howard to Derby for £1m

McSheffrey to Brum for £4 m (never played in prem)

Stead to Derby for £1.5 m (how many goals has he scored lately?),

Vine to Brum £2.5 m

Lee Cook at QPR is rated around £3m

Craig Fagan of Hull is linked to Derby for £750k (his scoring record is poor).

Now to think we sold bought Ashton a far superior striker to all the above for £3 m not too long ago, i think in the current climate that Earnie is valued at £6 m and selling for anything less would be a scandal.

I think the top end of the championship has inflated prices compared to "normal" championship players, because they stray into Premiership quality and therefore Premiership pricing. It''s fair enough. Some of those players above are being priced on their potential, which arguably is inflated compared to what they''ve actually achieved.

I think this is also a reflection on the increase in quality of the Championship over the years, that you have the top end players in this 2nd league effectively being top league quality. People whinge that foreign players at the top level are spoiling the game, but in many was, it means that our 2nd Division has many, many quality players (Huckerby, Earnshaw etc ;) ).

Stead has goner to Sheff Utd and Derby have signed Fagan. I think you are right regarding prices but I suppose it comes down to how bad you want a player, how long their contract with their current club is, I am thinking of Vine here, good scoring record, Luton do not want to lose him, Brum clearly wanted him and were prepared to pay the asking price. On the face of it £1M for Howard may seem a lot but if his goals, assists and experience help you get into the Prem.....

Mcsheffery £4million was very expensive, but he has done the job and i suppose they will say its worth it if they get into the premiership. 2.5M for Vine on the back of 6 good monthsm is ridiculous as was £3 Million for Jerome on the back of 1 good season. Thats nearly £10Million on 3 players, none of whom were proven / or deemed that valuable by premiership clubs.

Derby have brought well except for Fagan who seems a bit expensive and a weird signing, Jones is a good talent from Man utd and at £1 million looks good, Teale has always impressed me and looks as bargain and i reckon Pearson will be a great buy. They have done well, they have on the whole spent the sort of money we should have.

It isnt just championship clus with silly prices though, Watford have rejected a £7 Million bid for Ashly Young. Are they saying he''s got betetr potential than ashton had 12 moths ago, dont make me laugh, he''s hardly set the world alight.

Preston have ridiculosly overpriced nugent, Unproven in the Premiership and £6Million plus seems a silly valuation. But, they have ambition and if they go up, i''m sure nugent wont mind staying.

If it is indeed the case that anything decent in the Championship costs serious money....maybe that puts into perspective what we can expect of our latest "big signing" at £350000.............

Hilarious.........

It also occurs to me that many clubs are more financially sound now than they have been for a while. Previously, Championship-level clubs (and below) would often have to sell players for less than their value to the club because they couldn''t afford to hold onto them. Being stung by the ITV Digital fiasco and the wholesale restructuring of financial systems that followed has meant clubs no longer have to release their star players unless they get an offer they can''t refuse. With selling clubs in a stronger financial position, those doing the buying have to offer well over the seller''s valuation to secure their services.

It''s not just the Championship, but the Premiership as well. Man Utd paid £18million for Carrick at the start of the season, is he really worth that? There are rumours in todays papers that West Ham have bid £8million for Lucas Neill, a £500,000-£1million player at best!

The problem is that the transfer market was finally calming down a few years ago but then Chelsea came along and things got silly again. Every time they pay £25 million for a player the club that receives the fee becomes a big player in the transfer market when previously they were having to be more prudent with their spending. So Abramovich has not only turned Chelsea into big spenders but has also breathed new life into the transfer market at a time when transfer fees were starting to come down.

One of the biggest problems is that it has over inflated the price of any half-decent English player and led to managers looking abroad for bargains. Just look at Arsenal, they paid top whack for Francis Jeffers, he turned out to be crap (with an allegedly poor attitude as well) and Arsene Wenger has barely bothered signing an Englishman since.

[quote user="Cluck"]

If it is indeed the case that anything decent in the Championship costs serious money....maybe that puts into perspective what we can expect of our latest "big signing" at £350000.............

Hilarious.........

[/quote]

And presumably by your playground rules it will also make Chris Brown over four times better than Kevin Doyle (transfer fee £78,000).

Next time you think something is "hilarious" just have a little think before sharing it with the rest of us.

You can still buy well - Mifsud to Coventry on a free is likely to be an excellent signing;  fortunately we already have a better goal-scoring midget up front.

Its clearly all fuelled by the Premiership.

The windfall, even for just one season is the Premiership is so large, that clubs are prepared to gamble.

The recent story about the Souness consortium and Wolves, also illustrates the financial attraction of investing in a larger viable Championship club with a view to landing this bonanza of a few years in the Premiership...

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Cluck"]

Hilarious.........

[/quote]

And presumably by your playground rules it will also make Chris Brown over four times better than Kevin Doyle (transfer fee £78,000).

Next time you think something is "hilarious" just have a little think before sharing it with the rest of us.

[/quote]

Not my original post Shack.....just a reply......and should I think of anything equally as hilarious in the future I will be only too happy to share it with you again.........[:)]