Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Young English football academy - failure!

Liverpools manager was quoted claiming the english football academy doesnt bring out enough quality players. The premiership, but championship included.

I have to agree with this, however another notice pointed out on the same radio station stated that we never know. It is claimed there are too many foreign players in our leagues now, making it difficult for our reserves etc to get a place, which is understandable in certain respects!

Just wondered, what are other people thinking bout this?

I think it is largely true, I mean look at our situation, we hardly bring players through anymore, many years ago we had more home produced talent, some of which stayed and a lot more of which moved on, but who was the last big money tranfer to come from our youth set-up?

If you''re a teenager in Chelsea''s academy you know that the best you can hope for when you''re 18 or 19 is reserve football, unless you can keep Lampard, Drogba or Shevchenko out of the side.  As a result, english players have very few opportunities to prove themselves at much above reserve level.  Terry, Lampard, Carrick, all started out at West Ham, where players had the opportunities to be promoted from within.The English and Spanish leagues, and the Champions league are rapidly becoming the World Series, impossible to compete with unless you''re a World Class athlete.  How do you get onto that cakewalk if you''re in Chelseas'' academy, but you''re only Aston Villa standard ?  As a result the England team will suffer, and the Championship will become the home of most of Englands'' home grown talent.

We have an Academy system for the developement of young players and it has been high jacked by a load of foreign players.Sides like Arsenal and Chelsea could not care less about English talent-why should they, they play academy sides which consist nearly completely of foreign boys from around Europe. The FA not only allows this to happen they finance it, then we wonder why we cannot produce international players.The academy system is used as a host for the parasites of the wealthy and it is about time regulations were introduced to restrict not only the youngsters but the number of non british players in the premiership.I know what you are saying where would all the international players go and the Premier League would suffer-- Back to the old days of the minimum wage no yellow cards and a return to the working mans game.

I am sick to death of no contact, diving and protests at every decision.I am fed up of posturing Managers who act like adolescent schoolkids.It has become unbearable. Am I the only one who feels like this.  

I remember when clubs were limited to five foreign players in their starting 11. I can''t remember if that just applied to European competition or domestically too.

Personally I would love to see that rule brought back in. I think it would help to rebalance the English game and would make money less of a deciding factor.

[quote user="Hump"]

We have an Academy system for the developement of young players and it has been high jacked by a load of foreign players.Sides like Arsenal and Chelsea could not care less about English talent-why should they, they play academy sides which consist nearly completely of foreign boys from around Europe. The FA not only allows this to happen they finance it, then we wonder why we cannot produce international players.The academy system is used as a host for the parasites of the wealthy and it is about time regulations were introduced to restrict not only the youngsters but the number of non british players in the premiership.I know what you are saying where would all the international players go and the Premier League would suffer-- Back to the old days of the minimum wage no yellow cards and a return to the working mans game.

I am sick to death of no contact, diving and protests at every decision.I am fed up of posturing Managers who act like adolescent schoolkids.It has become unbearable. Am I the only one who feels like this.  

[/quote]

This makes alot of sense to me Hump....but there is great defence of foreign players on this forum. I too would like to see this "one hour from Norwich" rule scrapped. If a decent kid wants to come...and his parents are ok about it all........bring em on. That way the likes of the Prem clubs couldn''t hold all of the cards as they do now.

With regard to the "one hour rule" I dont think some people would realise that when kids are at school this is nigh on impossible and I agree that limits need to be in place.  I have taken kids to the academy and believe me I drove 45mins and when you have training sessions from 5-7 and they finish school at 4 it is really hard.  By the time they shower and leave the training ground it is almost 8.30pm by the time you get home and that is 3 times a week plus weekends.  It really does leave little time for homework etc.  which is still vitally important.  Also eating proper meals at 8.30 is not ideal for "atheletes" either.  So I for one think that the 60 minute rule needs to be in force.  Its really not a case of parents being ok about it, it is the physical aspect of it.   

And to think that Mourinho wants to have his foreign reserves being a team all of their own in the Championship.... then the future of British football will be largely in league 1

[quote user="Archie"]And to think that Mourinho wants to have his foreign reserves being a team all of their own in the Championship.... then the future of British football will be largely in league 1[/quote]

Thats a good point. But afterall, it is mourinho so the chances are he wont listen to n e other options/advice :P

To me it seems ridiculous, our academys are awful and dont produce top notch players. Well, they may do, but we will never find out because in place of the mwe have robinson. Lucky us.

Relax, its all under control, honest. I agree, young players are less likely to come thru'' the top 4''s academies. But, youngsters now go to unfashionable clubs or those with a proven track record for bringing youth through. If they are good enough, they will break through to premiership clubs.

The England team has some great young talent - Micah Richards, Walcott, Huddleston, G. Johnson, Bent, Dawson, Aaron what''s his face at Spurs to name but a few. This does not include all the youngsters already in the English squad.

We have some brilliant academies in this country who have bought through excellent talent and will continue to do so. Dario Gradi at Crewe and Tony Carr at WHU will provide local talent good enough for the Premiership. Boro, Villa, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs all have superb academies.

At WHU, we pride ourselves on bringing young talent through. Currently playing in the Premiership are, Lampard, Cole, Carrick, Johnson, Mark Noble, lent out to Ipswich, Kyle Reid at WHU, Defoe, Anton and Rio Ferdinand,  etc. etc. The other clubs have some superb players in their youth set-ups yet to break through. I know this for a fact.

Look at the progress of England U21''s and the age groups beneath them. 

Finally, if clubs like Norwich, capture young talent, that would previously have gone to a bigger club, they will reap the benefits of their further transfer. This will keep many in existance.

Happyhammer

Why bother with academies at all? Why not scrap it and reintroduce the YTS which we used to have and which was by all accounts extremely successful for us, producing players such as Sutton, Fox, Eadie, Gordon, Power, Bellamy, Green, Kenton to name a few. Why bother having Norwich U-9s through to U19s or whatever we have? Scrap all the teams below U-19 and just have one squad of players, aged between 16 and 19 on scholar or YTS contracts? That way, these guys can leave home at 16 and come and train to become professionals like they did 10 years ago. Then we could get them from anywhere in the country and not be constrained by the 1 hour rule (or 1.5 hour rule or whatever it is these days).

Does have professional coaching between ages 9 and 16 help players develop? One would think - yes! But yet our academy has produced virtually nothing since coming on-line, whilst before, when we were just taking guys on at 16 who had learnt the game on playgrounds and the local park - and these guys were infinitely better than the players who have undergone years of professional coaching.

Personally I think scrap the academy, and hire 16 year olds on YTS, from all over the country. Let guys learn the game on sunday afternoons on the local park, in school games and on the playground. They don''t need professional coaching until they hit 16 - let them learn their tricks, the raw game in 11 a side games between ages 9 and 15, and then from 16 to 19 they can refine their technique - like "recieving the ball side on" (pros love that one, ametuers don''t necessarily know about it) and positional play/tactics etc which professionals are much better at. Then the good times will return!

Unless the prospective future footballing academic youth - who at 13years of age - suddenly develop (after being force fed pure lard, raw eggs and Guinness) into 6 foot strappin'' hairy ar$ed silverback gorillas......Who may have no relative skill, but can run, run and run for 40 days and 40 nights non-stop; without breaking into a sweat.......Then I''m sorry, but underdeveloped punitive frail sickly weedy wire bellied stick insects - with pipe cleaners or cotton strands with knots as legs and - who although possess marvellous talent and footballing skill - are not welcome and will never sign pro forms!

Size is everything.

Peter Crouch slipped through that net........and ours.

[quote user="I OWN THIS CLUB"]We have young players that go to Kings bl**dy Lynn[/quote]

FFS get over it already. Keep it on your topic.

our academies no longer focus on skill or tecnique, they are  more interested in pace, power, height and strength this is why players like shaun wright-phillips (who slipped through the nottingham forest net because of his height) nearly didn''t even have careers. this is why there is a lack of creative midfielders.

and what positions do NCFC lack in at the moment midfielder-not many midfielders around with any skill is there, this is why at the end of the day our midfield cannot pass a ball (excluding safri, who is suffering from a loss of form)

this is why we cannot win the world cup-why do brazil win lots of competitions? because they concentrate on skill and tecnique