Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

We need clarification

Message to PinkUn team - could one of your intrepid journos please clarify with the club:

i) whether yesterday''s statement was an official one made on behalf of the whole board, or just Delia and Michael; and

ii) in either case, whether or not it represents an ultimatum.

There''s been far more heat than light generated by this, so it would be very helpful to put things in perspective.

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Message to PinkUn team - could one of your intrepid journos please clarify with the club:

i) whether yesterday''s statement was an official one made on behalf of the whole board, or just Delia and Michael; and

ii) in either case, whether or not it represents an ultimatum.

There''s been far more heat than light generated by this, so it would be very helpful to put things in perspective.

[/quote]

I doubt we will ever get an ultimatum about anything from our wishy washy board...

So they''re refusing all interviews now, are they? What a big surprise. 

Well if you won''t talk to us, listen carefully to this.

TO THE DIRECTORS OF NORWICH CITY FC

You gutless crew, you''re not fit to run a bingo session let alone a football club.  And especially you Delia, for using your fame in this reprehensible way. Your statement has got ten times the publicity it deserves, purely because of who you are. 

What a disgusting way to treat a manager who has served us so well.  Who lifted us out of mediocrity and took us to the Premiership. 

Two games to put it right?  If it can be put right in two games, it''s not serious enough to make a public statement.  If it can''t, it''s effectively an excuse to give him the chop.  At least show him the respect he deserves and do it cleanly, instead of hacking away with a blunt knife.

I saw through you a long time ago, but I never thought you''d sink as low as this.  I fear for the future of our club in your hands. 

WHERE ARE YOU?  COME ON, LET''S BE ''AVIN YOU!

"mystic megson wrote: Two games to put it right?  If it can be put right in two games, it''s not serious enough to make a public statement. 

This is the crux of the matter.

MM, I''m with you 100% on this one. If class was to show its hand, any conversation they had with Nigel should have remained there until , and if, they felt the need to enact change. Of course, we don''t know all the facts and can only respond to what has been fed to us but, on the surface, a sad manner of behaviour by our leaders.  

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Two games to put it right?  If it can be put right in two games, it''s not serious enough to make a public statement.  If it can''t, it''s effectively an excuse to give him the chop. 

[/quote]

Totally agree with this Megson.  Two games is no time in which to see if a marked improvement has been made nor is it worth releasing a statement about it if they intend to dismiss him.

Problem with this though is that the statement is two paragraphs long but doesn''t actually say anything.  It says they expect an improvement in the next two games.  It doesn''t say 2 defeats and Worthy is gone - just that they are "disappointed by the lack of passion and commitment in the team''s performance" and they  “expect this situation to be rectified at our next home game on Sunday and at our next away game".  It would be fair to assume that they don''t necessarily mean results, they apologised for the performance, not the result.

With no one at the club willing to talk about this statement, no one actually knows what it means apart from the fact they were unhappy about the Plymouth display.  All the talk about demands, ultimatums, 2 games to save his job are coming from the media and fan''s chatting not the club.

You wonder if the statement is deliberately vague in order to avoid actually doing anything.

I`d just typed out  a similar   post Saint  !  then I saw yours ....

The statement read: “We and the board are deeply disappointed by the lack of passion and commitment in the team''s performance on Saturday, and wish to apologise particularly to the 776 loyal supporters who undertook the long and arduous journey to Plymouth, but also to all our fans who have given us such wonderful support. You deserve more.

“We are determined to achieve success at Norwich City, and to that end we expect this situation to be rectified at our next home game on Sunday and at our next away game. We rely on our manager and squad to do this not only on behalf of our supporters but for the long-term future of the club.”

I`ve  read through  that statement  quite a few times   ,  and , try as I might , I just can`t  work it to mean   that Nigel was on a two match  ultimatum  !  [ sackwise ] , just  that an improvement  is required  ...   

On the subject  of the latest news  , that Safri and Etuhu   exchanged   fist action  ?   all I can say, is that they picked a fine time  to display  their  aggro !    its a TEAM game   for crisake  !!     I get to feeling really sorry  for Nigel   when he has to cope with crap like this !

I know I posted something similar yesterday but even though this statement has caused so much "excitement" amongst supporters it has never been top headline on the official site.  It currently sits as the 6th item on the front page behind older stories.  Hardly much importance being placed on this statement.

The thing that concerns me most is that the statement seems to have been a reaction to 2 things :

Recent poor form

A protest by long-term complainers planned for a home televised match maximise embarrasment for the club.

If we''ve got to the stage where a pressure-group whose "volunteers" number about 10 people, and who had at last count a following of 70, can nudge the board into issuing ultimatums to the boss for poor current form, and all because the board are worried that they might not "be seen" to be listening to the complainers, where does that leave our long-term vision for success ? 

Back to knee-jerk sackings and the bad old days of a manager a year is my best guess.

how the hell is this a kneejerk sacking blahx3? you really DO love allthings nigel dont you? are you related to him? hes been failing for TWO years so how the hell does that constitute kneejerk? tell you what lets wait another four years till we are in the conference and then sack him, or would that be knee jerk too!!!!

[quote]hes been failing for TWO years so how the hell does that constitute kneejerk? [/quote]

His record is no better, and if worse, only slightly worse than managers with similar resources available.  Southampton and Palace are still in our league, and if we were where they are now, we wouldn''t be having this conversation.  This ultimatum is about the last month, not the last 2 years, and you know it.

Tell you what, let''s assume worthington goes on the basis of a further 2 poor performances against Burnley and QPR. 

The next manager, Martin Hunter, or a currently out of work manager, comes in and has a reasonable season with the current squad, we end up in the top 10 of the league, just outside of the play-offs.  This is forgivable because the new bloke is bedding in.

Next season we start poorly, for sake of conversation, let''s say we lose 4 of the first 6 matches.  Do you as a Norwich fan give the new bloke time to adjust, or do you grab your dusty plaquard and your polish and start a new campaign, in the belief (misguided or otherwise) that "we got rid of Worthington, we can get rid of this one" ?

Fans support teams, Directors appoint and sack managers.  Directors should be free to make their own decisions, and be aware of, but not bow to fan pressure.  The ultimatum has left people like you scenting blood, and is a spectacular own goal from people I would expect more decisive leadership from.

[quote]you really DO love allthings nigel dont you? are you related to him?[/quote]

Oh, and yes,  I love Nigel Worthington and want to have his babies if it makes you feel better.  Do you feel better ?  I hope so, because you seem a little agitated.  Oh dear, now you''ve gone a funny colour.  Go and have a nice cup of tea, and just, like, breathe, ok ?  

Maybe, just maybe, I''m just playing devils'' advocate to encourage debate, and have been all along...

"The ultimatum has left people like you scenting blood, and is a

spectacular own goal from people I would

expect more decisive leadership from."That''s a bit harsh on your fellow directors bbb!

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]hes been failing for TWO years so how the hell does that constitute kneejerk? [/quote]

His record is no better, and if worse, only slightly worse than managers with similar resources available.  Southampton and Palace are still in our league, and if we were where they are now, we wouldn''t be having this conversation.  This ultimatum is about the last month, not the last 2 years, and you know it.

[/quote]

Palace and Southampton have both changed manager

This ultimatum is about the last month, not the last 2 years, and you know it.

If it was just about the last month then surely that WOULD be a knee jerk reaction? [;)] 

Very disappointed with this devils adviocate lark - where are the barely dressed ladies bending over in front of me then?

[quote]The ultimatum has left people like you scenting blood, and is a spectacular own goal from people I would expect more decisive leadership from."

That''s a bit harsh on your fellow directors bbb![/quote]

The nice thing about all the criticism is that people never assume I''m stacking shelves in Tescos.

Must dash, that pedigree chum doesn''t sell in the warehouse...

i think it could take a new manager a lot longer than a season and a half to repair the damage of the small squad, morale, fans fighting etc, so i would be prepared to give him time as i was worthington. i never wanted him to get the job but when he did well over the first few seasons i held up my hand and said i was wrong about him. however i feel that he has outgrown his shelf life and needs to be thanked and sent on his way. he should have been man enough to accept he was doing a poor job for the last TWO seasons and resigned at the end of ;last season but he is too stubborn for that, so its no wonder we have reached this point.