Sign in to follow this  
The Voice of the Thorpe Area

Nigel should npt be judged completely on this home game.

Nigel Worthington should not be let if off the hook by the board if we win this weekend. Let''s face it, on paper, we should win this match, although current form suggests otherwise. Obviously, a defeat, and he should go. However, a win, no matrer how convincing or whatever the scoreline, in my opinion, should not be good enough to save him.

After the international break, we have an away game at QPR, scene of one of the many away day nightmares last season. I believe that unless we win (at, let''s be honest, an average at best side), then Nigel Worthington should be sacked as manager. This, no matter how we do against Burnley.

And if we win on Sunday and then draw at QPR, perhaps with players missing through injury, will this satisfy Delia and company? In the past he has always been quick to point to injuries, although this really should not be an acceptable excuse, as he has whittled down the squad over the past 2 years.What I am really saying is that leaving aside extenuating circumstances or special pleading, how can he be judged on just 2 games? Will a subjective "Well they played better" be sufficient improvement to save him even if one game is lost. Delia''s "wake-up" call is, as many have pointed out, rather ambiguous.

So how about we draw or narrowly lose to Burnley, and then beat QPR ?

I agree, he shouldn''t be judged on Sunday alone, and look forward to you withholding your damnation until the result of the QPR game :)

Personally I think it''s sad that Worthy is being judged on results alone. What if we play utter cr*p but squeak a couple of 1-0s? What about the other underlying problems like his poor management and lack of ability in the transfer market?? This has gone way past results alone for me and it should have done for the board too! Even if we win, Worthy is not the right man to lead this club forward any longer!

What if we win both games 6-0 and then win the next game and the next and even the next! Say we win 5 games on the spin like we did last season what then? Can we expect another statement? Will it say we expect the improvement to carry on over the next 2 games, or the next 5??

What if we lose both games? Theres nothing in the statement saying Worthy would be sacked if we do! I think it would be difficult for him to carry on though.

I am not gonna attempt to type out all the other scenarios, lose draw or lose win etc. Or play well and lose or play cr*p and win.

We could play "what if" all night, but the only people who could know "what if" are The Board and they sure us hell didn''t tell us in that statement!

As posted elsewhere ("Back Him Or Sack Him" thread), the board have a big decision to make after these two games.  The results shouldn''t have any real bearing.  Two games means very little whether we get six points or none.

Delia''s statement was hopelessly ill thought out and atrociously timed.  The only way the board can salvage anything from this mess is to be decisive. That''s what we need more than anything, a firm decision regardless of which way it goes.  And an unambiguous public statement of that decision. 

Drifting on as we are without either backing or sacking him is not an option.  

The whole range of scenarios is precisely the reason why the statement was a symbolic gesture rather than an actual warning.

It was made because the public mood has shifted irreversibly and they have to try and maintain some credibility.

The clear facts are that the result and the performance are both largely irrelevant, the issue is the fans'' mood and the way that is displayed.  It is simple if you want him to stay sing your heart out for him and if you want him to go then protest and sing your heart out for him to go!

There is no longer anywhere for fans of either persuasion to hide, sing your heart out for what you want!

For once I actually agree with you.

However the point is that Delia and MWJ will be influenced by how the fans react, therefore it is the chance of both sides of the argument to put their case.  However do not try and claim that the silent ones are on either side of the fence.

What you failed to realise from my words is that I am actually making the point that those in favour of keeping Worthington can win the argument by making noise on his behalf.  This is what I and others have said in the past and we offer you and his other supporters (how ever many of you there may be) that chance.

Gather somewhere near the ground and sing in his support, bring green Worthy in cards to hold up, Sing for Worthington during the game, or some other gesture of your own.

Now is the time to put up or shut up.

I dont think he is being judged on this game alone, lets face it hes had a couple of years of trying to ruin our club and if I was doing such a bad job for my company I would certainly be on a final warning if not sacked.

He deserves to go as he obviously has the man magement skills of a gnat, he lets his own feelings etc get in the way of the team ie dropping players because they have had a fall out.