Sign in to follow this  
Balham Yellow

Could/should we get Eastwood with the Green money?

I think it is obvious that we need to have someone playing alongside Earnshaw.  With two genuine wing men playing we must have players in the box to get on the end of crosses.  Would Eastwood fit the bill?  If so, how much do you think it would take to secure his services?

I''m working on the premise that we will get c£1.5m for Green.

I think Eastwood would be the best signing we could potentially make. My reason for that is this, we have been playing good passing football so far this season and although it would be unintentional, we would be inclined to hoof a little bit more because of a targetmans presence. I believe the problem we have is a shortage of men in the box and so i believe we need another poacher like Earnshaw becase with Croft and huckerby about, we will create plenty of chances. Eastwood is the same heigt as mckenzie 5,11 and slightly smaller than throne, so he is not tiny and ariel crosses would still be in his reach. I believe Eastwood is a natural goalscorer, a great finisher and at 1.5million would be a bargain 2o goal a season striker.

Sign him up Nigel.

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

I think Eastwood would be the best signing we could potentially make. My reason for that is this, we have been playing good passing football so far this season and although it would be unintentional, we would be inclined to hoof a little bit more because of a targetmans presence. I believe the problem we have is a shortage of men in the box and so i believe we need another poacher like Earnshaw becase with Croft and huckerby about, we will create plenty of chances. Eastwood is the same heigt as mckenzie 5,11 and slightly smaller than throne, so he is not tiny and ariel crosses would still be in his reach. I believe Eastwood is a natural goalscorer, a great finisher and at 1.5million would be a bargain 2o goal a season striker.

Sign him up Nigel.

[/quote]

We still need a big target man. Neil Adams hit the nail on the head after the Preston game. He said teams will come here stick 3 in the middle of the park to spoil our passing game & defenders will get closer to Earnie. When this happens you have to have to have a plan B & long balls will be inevitable & the target man will have to hold the ball up. No plan B is a bad thing, we would get bullied off the park by big physical teams. Also the majority of Crofts crosses will go to waste without a big man in the box. Did anyone hear the caller who just couldn''t get his head round this? I was shouting at the radio for him to understand or hang up!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if Eastwood could step up to the Premiership. Anything less is selling ourselves short. Do we want someone to just get us a bit further up the table ?

He has yet to prove himself in the Championship. Maybe a current ''out of favour'' Premiership player should be our aim.

Problem is, if we got another striker then we would play 442. But two of the midfielders would be attacking ones, so the team would look a bit like this:

Gallagher

Colin   Doherty   Shackell   Drury

Safri      Etuhu
Croft                            Huckerby
           Eastwood  Earnie   

And that is almost 424 so i would be concerned that we would not be as effective with defending.

Derby have had two £1M+ bids for Eastwood rejected, £1.5M might not be enough.

I don''t see that 1.5 million would be enough to buy Eastwood.  Southend would struggle without him, and if forced to seel, would probably start a bidding war to get the best price, i mean if Rob Hulse is worth 2.2 million...

agree that 4-4-2 with the earnie and eastwood show up front would be a combo to strike fear into alot of defences, especially when you have genuine and skilful wing play and pace from both flanks now.  mckenzie has still not got back to the best form he showed for us, at the backend of the prem season, but he could come good again - as a back up for earnie and another he''d be perfect.

"We still need a big target man. Neil Adams hit the nail on the head after the Preston game. He said teams will come here stick 3 in the middle of the park to spoil our passing game & defenders will get closer to Earnie. When this happens you have to have to have a plan B & long balls will be inevitable & the target man will have to hold the ball up. No plan B is a bad thing, we would get bullied off the park by big physical teams. Also the majority of Crofts crosses will go to waste without a big man in the box. Did anyone hear the caller who just couldn''t get his head round this? I was shouting at the radio for him to understand or hang up!!!!!!!!! "

I understand what you mean, but i still think that having 2 quick strikers, goal poachers and our 2 wide men will stop this happening. Thats if we do change formation, there isnt really a reason to drop the 4-5-1 formation at the moment. I think it will work wonders away, make us hard to break down and counter attack well in the second half when teams are tired. We also have 2 wins out of 2 at home, and dropping robinson for a striker would leave us weaker defensively with our 2 attack minded wingers. If we do keep the formation how it is, then perhaps the big 6 foot plus striker is the right option. Someone who we can bring on in the second half to win headers, create havoc and get us a goal.

Having seen Freddie a number of times in the last couple of seasons I

can confirm  he is a quality act & would most certainly

enhance our squad. He has said that he sees no point in leaving

Southend this season unless someone should come in for him from the

Premiership; I have no doubt that he''s Premiership quality, he''ll score

at any level. In style I always liken him to Ryan Jarvis but whereas

Ryan hasn''t yet made it happen, Freddie most certainly has. If I were

Steve Tilson I''d be thinking in terms of £3m for him, but I suspect

that, economically, Southend would have to seriously consider an offer

of £2m. I fear he might still be out of our price range but personally

I''d love to see him move from the 2nd best club in the land to the

best.