Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Why does nobody seem to want our players? Discuss.

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]

Are they for sale?

I wasn''t aware if they were.

[/quote]

Isnt that the old transfer dichotmy?  If anyplayer is up for sale they are not usually a plalyer anyone wants?   Its always the players that are not for sale in a squad that other teams want for the same reason you dont want to sell them!

In the last month Earnshaw has had interest from Mark Hughes (according to bbc website), and Huckerby has admitted to turning down several offers from Premiership clubs during his time here in an interview with the edp.  Green was regularly associated with Portsmouth, Everton etc in the local news, the Portsmouth manager at the time said that Green was on their shortlist.

The better (established first team) players are on long-term contracts that get regularly renewed.  This means that any club that wants to buy them can generally find cheaper players elsewhere.  I believe we also pay well for a Championship team.

Older players will find work in lower divisions, and are usually allowed to run down their contracts due to their age - e.g. Charlton.  I''d expect Thorne to fall into this category sooner or later.

Also, just because a club shows an interest in a player, and this can be any club, doesn''t mean that the interest shown will make the papers.  You don''t want your rivals to know how much you have to spend when negotiating for players, because you probably want players from other teams too.

We don''t have enough players as it, if we start selling anyone we won''t have a team lol

Aren''t you missing the point of the thread?  It is not about whether City players are for sale or whether we want them to go.  It is about market interest in our squad.  Good players attract other clubs even if they are not for sale.

Hulse wasn''t for sale, Jerome wasn''t for sale nor Chadwick, Edwards nor Howard.  That did not stop us being linked with them.  Ashton wasn''t for sale but he still attracted plenty of media speculation.

I think it is very interesting that with the exception of Earnshaw and arguably Hughes, no player has aroused speculation this summer.

For me , the conclusion is inevitable........we truly do have a squad of journey men who no one else would want combined with some of better quality who have other factors which make them unattractive - Safri (injuryprone), McVeigh (inconsistent) and Huckerby (well settled in the area).

And this is the squad we hope to achieve promotion!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Aren''t you missing the point of the thread?  It is not about whether City players are for sale or whether we want them to go.  It is about market interest in our squad.  Good players attract other clubs even if they are not for sale.

Hulse wasn''t for sale, Jerome wasn''t for sale nor Chadwick, Edwards nor Howard.  That did not stop us being linked with them.  Ashton wasn''t for sale but he still attracted plenty of media speculation.

I think it is very interesting that with the exception of Earnshaw and arguably Hughes, no player has aroused speculation this summer.

For me , the conclusion is inevitable........we truly do have a squad of journey men who no one else would want combined with some of better quality who have other factors which make them unattractive - Safri (injuryprone), McVeigh (inconsistent) and Huckerby (well settled in the area).

And this is the squad we hope to achieve promotion!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

In fairness though, Watford did not have clubs beating down the door to get to their players but they got promoted.  Sheff Utd only really had to fend of interest for Jagielka and Reading with Sidwell and Hughes(ahem).

Also, media speculation does not equate to "market interest" in our squad or anyone squads.  When we announced the signings of Louis-Jean and Thorne they came completely out of the blue last year.  The was no speculation about them before they signed.

Thanks CambrigeCanary and, I assume, Apprentice.

As for TwoSheds - what''s wrong with school teachers?

I think that perhaps 26 out of our current squad of 28 (exceptions Green & Fleming) were signed by Worthington. Enough said.

OTBC.  

[quote]Thanks CambrigeCanary and, I assume, Apprentice.[/quote]

What are you thanking them for ?  Making the point you wanted to make ?

If so, what kind of a discussion is that ?

Sheesh.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]Thanks CambrigeCanary and, I assume, Apprentice.[/quote]

What are you thanking them for ?  Making the point you wanted to make ?

If so, what kind of a discussion is that ?

Sheesh.

[/quote]

Sheeeeesh.

Does one have to close one''s eyes to say blahblahblah?

The simple fact is that 26 of the 28 players available are Worthington signings, and he is running out of excuses.

I really hope that good luck shines on us this season, because we''re going to need it to reach the playoffs.

OTBC - never mind the danger.