Sign in to follow this  
jelltex

young players

As Arsenal have proved, if the players are good enough, let Arsne lets them play, the old addage about being good enough not matter what the age is. What worries me is that according to Hucks is that the young players are not good enough now, what have they been doing up to now? Looking back at a couple of programs from only 5 years ago, it''s sad to see that only Shackle from that team has made any impression in the first team, all others having moved on. We spent nearly a million quid on the acadamy at the end of the 90''s when we had little spare cash, on the promise that it would produce better young players. This quite clearly has failed, is someone looking at this failure, are we going to see an imporvment any time soon? One thinks not. As long as the club fails to produce good young players, we will have to go to the transfer market to get the players we need; thus costing money. Or ''freinds'' down the A140 learnt this lesson long, long agao, and are now working a lot harder than City on recruiting the next generation of players.

Jelltex,

You''ve misread the comment. They are not ready now. That doesn''t mean they won''t be ready in the future.

How many players did you expect to make the grade from a one million pound investement? Very few make it and thats all clubs not just ours. That is unless you invest considerable sums of money like Man Utd did and are still doing.

What Hucks is saying is what I said when this topic came around last time. You have to be very very good to make the first team at such an early age. Otherwise, you will need to develop further.

Actually our friends down the road didnt learn this a long long time ago. Its debatable whether they are yet to learn it.However like many clubs that almost go bust they have to go be the cheapest method. Having sold most of their good senior pros they were forced to play their youngsters. I wouldnt say that it was down to choice - more nessesity.

But Huckerby is wrong. IMO hes justing saying it to stay in the managers good books. We have many exceptional youngsters like Ireland u17 captain Mickey Spillane, Scotland u21 full back Andre Cave-Brown, England u19 keeper Joe Lewis, England u18 def/mid Rossi Jarvis not to mention Hendo and Jarvis who both lok promising when given a chance, also Rob Eagle looks like he could be a straight swap fpr Hucks in 1/2 years as he is quick, has flair and can cross, he can also defend unlike Hucks. We have a decent youth setup here its just Worthless refuses to use it.

IMO we should have Dae Williams as first team coachas he is obviously the best coach at the club and he also knows all about the youngsters mentioned.

It''s interesting to hear Hucks saying that they''re not good enough - can they be any worse than some of the numpties that are currently in the side? I don''t think so.

What Huckeby said is that at present they are not ready and this is about strength and physical developement. He mentions that unless they are exceptional which IMO enables them to compensate for lack of a physical presence it is best they are allowed to develope. What is the point in putting a potential player into the first team to see them knocked about lose their confidence and after a short honeymoon get the crowd on their back,

At present there is a potential at the Academy which does not include  Ryan Jarvis and Henderson who are real professionals and as yet heve failed to deliver consistently at the highest level,for these men NW must decide and in my opinion they are a better option in the correct positions than some others, 

Do not confuse 16 and 17 year boys with the finished article even Walcott was purchased for potential, Without doubt there are players with more pace more technical ability  and better footballing skills in the Academy but without strength they will flounder.

Huckerby has played at the highest level and knows what it takes to survive and become a real player. The talk of certain youngsters being the answer comes from people who have never seen them play, Under 18 Youth team football is played at an incredible speed and is mostly about technique,passing and movement it is about developement, it is not all about winning-maybe it does not prepare them for the real world.

Recent Reserve games where the team has been made up of a high percentage of senior players has highlighted particular Academy players who have the ability to play and move forward at the club but they have been helped during the game by these senior players. Shackell was outstanding when playing as was Jurgen and last week at Arsenal Peter Thorne, As good as some of the boys are I  agree they are not ready but they are there!

It doesn''t help when you have people like Huckerby coming out and saying the youngsters are not good enough yet.  The truth is the youngsters would probably show some of the so called senior pros what commitment and enthusiasm is all about.  Apart from having a manager who has no faith in the youngsters we now have an over the hill prima donna coming out with the same crap.

The sooner we get a manager who realises that you have to give talented youngsters a chance the better.  Huckerby''s comments must have done wonders for the youngsters confidence.  I wonder if David Williams shares the same view as Huckerby because on current form the youngsters seem to be doing rather better than the first team squad.

I couldn''t agree more with Silver Fox. This attitude against the promising youngsters is now filtering through to the senior pros. Is it because their places could be under threat? They cannot do any worse than some of the players who have played this season. If they are good enough, they are old enough. It is time to blood the likes of the Jarvis brother''s and Spillane. What do we have to lose, we can only gain.

the youngsters are not ready is what he meant, i''m only 17 and whenever i play against fully grown adults it can be hard because they are so much stronger. Yes the youngsters may be technically good enough but most would struggle to compete against fully grown adults who have been pro''s for years

Thanks Car Park,

You hit the nail on the head there and explained it far better than I could further up the thread.

The funniest comment on this thread though is the guy who says that Hucks only said what he did to stay in Worthys good books. That''s the sort of moron we have to contend with every day on here.

It''s a sad phenomenon of football that it also comes with so many people who dont underdstand it.

I think you have got it a little bit wrong Andrew Cave Brown is a Scottish U19 full back, Rossi Jarvis has been called up by England due to the fact that he has been involved with the first team, it will remain to be seen if he becomes a regualr in that team as surely his undoubted lack of pace will be a downside.  A few years ago Adam Smith was the talk of the academy, he also got called up by England at u18 level he is now playing for Kings Lynn.  I happen to agree with Hucks, but I do feel that if you dont play the youngsters now it will be daunting next season.. I say given them a go, no better way of seeing who is and isn''t ready and now we have only pride to play for, I think it would be great to play them whilst there is not really any pressure on. I am not sure about your comments that Dave Williams is the best coach at Norwich though!!!!

[quote user="Chris Meadows"]

the youngsters are not ready is what he meant, i''m only 17 and whenever i play against fully grown adults it can be hard because they are so much stronger. Yes the youngsters may be technically good enough but most would struggle to compete against fully grown adults who have been pro''s for years

[/quote]

Chris I don''t think thay would struggle against some of our fully grown adults who have been pro''s for years.

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]

Thanks Car Park,

You hit the nail on the head there and explained it far better than I could further up the thread.

The funniest comment on this thread though is the guy who says that Hucks only said what he did to stay in Worthys good books. That''s the sort of moron we have to contend with every day on here.

It''s a sad phenomenon of football that it also comes with so many people who dont underdstand it.

[/quote]

I think the majority of people on this website are not morons, but understand that they have been watching senior experienced pro''s under a so called experienced manager with a top uefa coaching qualification, consistently under performing for most of the season.  The sad thing is you are clearly happy with the situation and are happy to watch this sort of rubbish.  If this is your definition of understanding football I suggest you might want to take up watching tiddly winks.

I have given this a great deal of thought Ridgeman and the answer is NONE.

Quote from Worthy''s book of proverbs

Why play a talented youngster when I can play a senior pro with high energy levels.

Huckerby has to be right. Let''s face it a certain Danny Crow scored his 14th goal for Peterborough yesterday.

I know the argument runs that Division 1 and 2 is not of the same standard as the Championship - but reading the remarks on here and the current standard of City, I feel that Crow could have inspired some people to gee themselves up. 

If the argument is, "They''ve got the skill, but youngsters are not strong enough", nearly every reserve match this season has seen a vitual Academy team playing against grown men, and the best of the academy players have wtill stood out.If they are good enough for the reserves, and have played much of the season, are they not learning to take care of themselves. How many seasons do they have to play in the reserves before they are strong enough? Rooney didn''t have the problem. If he had a problem at first was it not laziness?

having watched the youths a few times but do not know any names who are   these other good players apart from those who have already been named