Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Crowe making the most of a second chance

Peterborough United: Crow Making The Most Of Second Chance

Here is the article:

http://www.squarefootball.net/article/article.asp?aid=2999

Never given a chance and freed at the age of 19...  Worthy probably made a good decision though - he can spot a player!! (he freed Jason Jarret age 20 at Blackpool).  And saved us Crow''s 300 quid a week wages!!  Well done that man.

This is getting quite tiresome, if Crowe was banging in 15 goals for another championship side then I''d understand it but he isn''t. League Two is a different standard to the championship and history tells you that a lot of players have been high scorers in that division but never made the same impact higher up. Case in point, Mr Coote who was a high scorer in the reserves and is now playing non-league. Paul Hayes, scoring for fun in league two, moves to Barnsley and hasn''t made double figures despite playing over 30 games.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Here is the article:

Never given a chance and freed at the age of 19...  Worthy probably made a good decision though - he can spot a player!! (he freed Jason Jarret age 20 at Blackpool).  And saved us Crow''s 300 quid a week wages!!  Well done that man.

[/quote]

FFS let it go Paul, you must have posted a hundred times and started 20 odd threads about Danny Crowe now.  I don''t care how many goals he has scored, I would do if he scored them in this league or higher but he hasn''t, he has scored 15 goals in the bottom division of the football league.  He would have been a sub for our reserves this year and that''s it!

Put it this way Paul, he went on loan to Northampton last season and they didn''t want him when he was available for free! 

Can we stop this now, it''s in the past and getting boring.  Man Utd released Peter Beardsley, Arsenal told Andy Cole he would never make it, we let Dion Dublin go, it happens!

It should be remembered that Crow was shown the door because Worthy didn''t or couldn''t manage Crow''s cocky attitude, not because he lacked talent, It obviously takes management skills Worthington doesn''t posess to handle players other than ''Yes Men'' Perhaps Worthington should have a chat with Mark Hughes and ask him how he controls players like Bellamy, Savage and Bently, the latter and former both being players Worthington couldn''t handle.

I''m not suggesting Crow was in the same league as Bellamy but part of football management involves dealing with cocky little sh1ts and getting the best out of them - Mark Hughes style!

[quote user=" Hugh Jarse"]

It should be remembered that Crow was shown the door because Worthy didn''t or couldn''t manage Crow''s cocky attitude, not because he lacked talent, It obviously takes management skills Worthington doesn''t posess to handle players other than ''Yes Men'' Perhaps Worthington should have a chat with Mark Hughes and ask him how he controls players like Bellamy, Savage and Bently, the latter and former both being players Worthington couldn''t handle.

I''m not suggesting Crow was in the same league as Bellamy but part of football management involves dealing with cocky little sh1ts and getting the best out of them - Mark Hughes style!

[/quote]

Could you possibly enlighten me as to when Worthington managed Bellamy?

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user=" Hugh Jarse"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, if you want enlightening you''ve come to the right place, I think you will find Worthington was part of the management team when Bellamy was at Norwich, brought in by Brian Hamilton, as his assistant  to help manage the players on the training pitch, for the record Brian Hamilton was also renowned for his poor choice of imports - he got his players wrong so why would he get his assistant right? ok enlightening session over.

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user=" Hugh Jarse"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why let the facts get in the way of a bit more Worthy bashing.

[quote user="Pointless Posts R Us"][quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user=" Hugh Jarse"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why let the facts get in the way of a bit more Worthy bashing.

[/quote]

Wouldn`t it be less pointless of you to state WHY you think Worthy should stay rather than bash those who actually give reasons and opinions of their own.

Thats the VAST difference between KTF and WO.

At least WO offer opinions, KTF seem to spend their whole time bashing WO while offering nothing.

[quote user=" Hugh Jarse"][quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user=" Hugh Jarse"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, if you want enlightening you''ve come to the right place, I think you will find Worthington was part of the management team when Bellamy was at Norwich, brought in by Brian Hamilton, as his assistant  to help manage the players on the training pitch, for the record Brian Hamilton was also renowned for his poor choice of imports - he got his players wrong so why would he get his assistant right? ok enlightening session over.

[/quote]

Oh I see, Worthington couldn''t handle Bellamy when he was Joint Assistant Manager.  Right I get you.  Thanks for enlightening me on that. 

So what you are saying is for the 19 days Worthy was at the club at the same time as Bellamy he could not handle him.  That''s a good enough reason to sack him now in 2006.

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Here is the article:

[/quote]

FFS let it go Paul, you must have posted a hundred times and started 20 odd threads about Danny Crowe now.  I don''t care how many goals he has scored, I would do if he scored them in this league or higher but he hasn''t, he has scored 15 goals in the bottom division of the football league.  He would have been a sub for our reserves this year and that''s it!

Put it this way Paul, he went on loan to Northampton last season and they didn''t want him when he was available for free! 

Can we stop this now, it''s in the past and getting boring.  Man Utd released Peter Beardsley, Arsenal told Andy Cole he would never make it, we let Dion Dublin go, it happens!

[/quote]

Saint - Really it isnt worth it. Ive practically given up coming on here now. Funnily enough the board is absolutely full of anti-worthy posts, yet I read the EDP today and found out only 100 people turned up to the last protest! (Ive been out the country) Thats one in about 230 fans! Which I find absolutely pitiful.

I want worthy out a lot, but coming on here is just getting embarassing now. And quite frankly its depressing just looking at it.

But its good to read some common sense from yourself, as you said so what if Danny Crow has scored X amount of goals for Peterborough, even Northampton did not want him. I dont know if people are just blinded and want to have a go at Worthy for anything, but surely everyone knows the difference between league 2 and the championship?? You would hope so anyway.

Danny Crowe ,much better prospect than McKenzie who we paid Peterborough money for and who cannot control a ball or hit a barn door , but he does run around good which makes him ideal for City.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Here is the article:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Saint - Really it isnt worth it. Ive practically given up coming on here now. Funnily enough the board is absolutely full of anti-worthy posts, yet I read the EDP today and found out only 100 people turned up to the last protest! (Ive been out the country) Thats one in about 230 fans! Which I find absolutely pitiful.

I want worthy out a lot, but coming on here is just getting embarassing now. And quite frankly its depressing just looking at it.

But its good to read some common sense from yourself, as you said so what if Danny Crow has scored X amount of goals for Peterborough, even Northampton did not want him. I dont know if people are just blinded and want to have a go at Worthy for anything, but surely everyone knows the difference between league 2 and the championship?? You would hope so anyway.

[/quote]

People dont protest Trent, football is a family game now, most customers wouldnt even think of protesting. Suffice to say that at the last home game the loudest chant was Hoof!! When our playeres hoofed it forwards. Other than that a wall of silence was in order.

As for division 2 players, well Simon Whaley, the midfielder whom setup one goal and played so well against us for Preston is an ex Bury player signed for £250,000 in January (money gained by the sale of another player).  He has played 3 (9) games and has scored a goal.  If he continues to improve he could increase his value, and at only 20 has time to learn.

Oh yeah did I forget to add about whaley, while he was being ''blooded'', and getting the sub games, he was being given 20 and sometimes 30 minutes as a sub in his correct position!!! Surely Billy Davies is getting something wrong there... I thought youngsters got 5 minutes at right wing or right back.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Here is the article:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Unfortunately Trent the "Worthy Out" campaign has become a bit of a witch hunt.  I say unfortunately because I like yourself think Worthington should go but I really feel that some of rabid and ill-informed complaints aimed at Worthy make it easy for the board to dismiss the campaign.  Instead of having to address serious complaints about this season they can just chose to answer some of the more stupid points that are continually raised on forums like this.  They can bypass the serious issues and dismiss the WO campaign as being kids and not real fans.

If we stopped making stupid allegations against the manager, players and board then the club would have to take the WO campaign a lot more seriously.

Saint, Trent (and the rest of you who, like me, sit reading this site looking for something worth replying to) yes, it is horrible on this board at present. Every thread is the same, and if it isn''t then it''s highjacked by someone who makes sure it becomes a WO thread asap.

BUT

the point remains that the current fans favourite and Carrow Road darling, Leon McKenzie, also scored a good few goals in League Two and was ALSO being touted as a Premiership striker by people on this very message board only a season ago. This is because he scored a lot of goals in the 1st Div and some in the Prem too.

If Leon is one of our main strikers, why couldn''t Crowe also make the step up?

Truth is, you can twist the "divisional standard" statistics to read however you want them to. But we shouldn''t have let Danny Crowe leave. He was talented, young, hungry and a local boy and he should have been accomodated.

[quote user="Nigels Tic-Tacs"]

Danny Crowe ,much better prospect than McKenzie who we paid Peterborough money for and who cannot control a ball or hit a barn door , but he does run around good which makes him ideal for City.

[/quote]

You what!!!? McKenzie is a good player, he does score goals & the team looks better with him in it. As soon as he came back into the team late this season we started picking up more points!

[quote user="Mook"]

Saint, Trent (and the rest of you who, like me, sit reading this site looking for something worth replying to) yes, it is horrible on this board at present. Every thread is the same, and if it isn''t then it''s highjacked by someone who makes sure it becomes a WO thread asap.

BUT

the point remains that the current fans favourite and Carrow Road darling, Leon McKenzie, also scored a good few goals in League Two and was ALSO being touted as a Premiership striker by people on this very message board only a season ago. This is because he scored a lot of goals in the 1st Div and some in the Prem too.

If Leon is one of our main strikers, why couldn''t Crowe also make the step up?

Truth is, you can twist the "divisional standard" statistics to read however you want them to. But we shouldn''t have let Danny Crowe leave. He was talented, young, hungry and a local boy and he should have been accomodated.

[/quote]

The point is Mook he is gone and is no longer a City player.  Whether or not it was a mistake to let him leave, only time will tell.  My frustration on this matter comes from an almost weekly update as to how Crowe is doing.  Last week there was a thread stating he had 14 goals this season, then an updated one to say he had 15 and now this thread, it''s pointless, he is gone.  It frustrates me because it allows the board to dismiss the WO''s as being unreasonable and unrealistic on how football clubs operate and largely that is not the case.

This sort of criticism would and did only prompt a response from the board of, Danny Crowe wanted first team football and we could not guarantee that.  I really believe Crowe would have been a reserve teamer at best and I ultimately believe Worthington has done he and his career a favour.

As for Leon, he is what he is.  He will miss as many, if not more chances than he will put away.  His main attribute is actually the fact that he a nuisance to defenders.  The goal he scored away at St. Mary''s last season is case in point.  He had no right to get on the end of that ball but he got there through sheer persistence.  For me he is a sub at best.

Thing is, Saint, I don''t believe that nonsense from the board. I''m sorry, but there is no way a 19 year old reserve at a club like Norwich would have issued a "play me or lose me" demand!

The fact is - we need hungry, young, homegrown talent. We SHOULD have made room for a player like Crowe. Yes, now he is gone, but we should be able to guarantee our youngsters a spot on the bench, the carling cup games and the chance as a replacement if one of the big guns is injured or misfiring. Otherwise there''s no point in having them here.

I don''t like this trash jouranlism propganda about Worthington''s time at Blackpool, Hughes''s time at Reading or some crap that some other moron wrote on some other moronic website.

But the rot of our club has stared HERE.

We all know that, as with success, managers, chairmen and (judging by this message board) even fans are temporary. Football moves on, times change and nobody knows what the future holds. But we do need footballers from the academy to give us energy, comittment and hopefully give us either A, points or B, money from sales.

Without it we are properly done for. This oversight could be the most costly of all. How many more talented youngsters will fade away or be shipped out without getting their chance?

[quote user="ncfc4prem"]This is getting quite tiresome, if Crowe was banging in 15 goals for another championship side then I''d understand it but he isn''t. League Two is a different standard to the championship and history tells you that a lot of players have been high scorers in that division but never made the same impact higher up. Case in point, Mr Coote who was a high scorer in the reserves and is now playing non-league. Paul Hayes, scoring for fun in league two, moves to Barnsley and hasn''t made double figures despite playing over 30 games.[/quote] I agree with you but I think Crow has great potential and will become a quality striker with a club in a higher league! We were mad to let him go before he had a chance to prove himself. Strikers are often cocky and need to be selfish in the position they play. If Worthy gets rid of every player that is a bit cocky we are going to lose an awful lot of talent!!!

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user=" Hugh Jarse"][quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user=" Hugh Jarse"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh I see, Worthington couldn''t handle Bellamy when he was Joint Assistant Manager.  Right I get you.  Thanks for enlightening me on that. 

So what you are saying is for the 19 days Worthy was at the club at the same time as Bellamy he could not handle him.  That''s a good enough reason to sack him now in 2006.

[/quote]

Sorry Saint but you asked me with a touch of sarcasm - "Could you possibly enlighten me when Worthington managed Bellamy" I just answerered your question with some true facts, if you want to debate the amount of time Worthington managed Bellamy, or which position Worthington held within the management team, well that''s another question all together.

The point I was making and you seem to miss, is that Worthington struggles to deal with players with big or difficult personalities, when you consider  many young players have this problem it goes with out saying, that this managerial shortcoming is one more inadequacy to add to the growing list

[quote user=" Hugh Jarse"][quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user=" Hugh Jarse"][quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user=" Hugh Jarse"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry Saint but you asked me with a touch of sarcasm - "Could you possibly enlighten me when Worthington managed Bellamy" I just answerered your question with some true facts, if you want to debate the amount of time Worthington managed Bellamy, or which position Worthington held within the management team, well that''s another question all together.

The point I was making and you seem to miss, is that Worthington struggles to deal with players with big or difficult personalities, when you consider  many young players have this problem it goes with out saying, that this managerial shortcoming is one more inadequacy to add to the growing list

[/quote]

I fully understand and agree with what you are saying.  He lets personality clashes affect his judgement.  Case in point was Bentley last year, he was starting to settle into the side and looked promising, only to be dropped for having a laugh in training.  There are other players he has clearly fallen out with to the detriment of the team.

All I am saying is I don''t really think it''s fair to use Bellamy as example, they probably only spoke a couple of times and Bellamy would have known he was leaving anyway.  There is a big enough list anyway!

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user=" Hugh Jarse"][quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user=" Hugh Jarse"][quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user=" Hugh Jarse"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I fully understand and agree with what you are saying.  He lets personality clashes affect his judgement.  Case in point was Bentley last year, he was starting to settle into the side and looked promising, only to be dropped for having a laugh in training.  There are other players he has clearly fallen out with to the detriment of the team.

All I am saying is I don''t really think it''s fair to use Bellamy as example, they probably only spoke a couple of times and Bellamy would have known he was leaving anyway.  There is a big enough list anyway!

[/quote]

Point taken and accepted Saint, although it may appear I was trying to grasp any old stick to beat Worthington with, I feel his man management skills are an area of valid concern