55 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Maidstone are in the league below the National League, so that is 6th tier

Prem

Championship

League One 

League Two

National League

National League North and South - where Maidstone are.

Forest Green will be 5th tier next season, not 6th

Thank you for the lecture.

Dan Barden was on-loan at Maidstone United from Dec 2022 to the end of the 2022/23 season.

While Barden was there Maidstone United were playing in the National League, which is fifth tier. 

image.png.02179ed0160f36a672697a44e12519eb.png

1 hour ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Thank you for the lecture.

Dan Barden was on-loan at Maidstone United from Dec 2022 to the end of the 2022/23 season.

While Barden was there Maidstone United were playing in the National League, which is fifth tier. 

image.png.02179ed0160f36a672697a44e12519eb.png

I stand corrected, I misread something.

They did finish bottom of the National League of though didn't they.

I would humbly suggest that a 23 year old who last played football against binmen and taxi drivers is not being given a contract with Norwich City first team football in mind, more like we'll get him another National League loan and fund a couple of coaching badges so we aren't throwing him onto the football scrapheap after a cancer battle.

58 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I stand corrected, I misread something.

They did finish bottom of the National League of though didn't they.

I would humbly suggest that a 23 year old who last played football against binmen and taxi drivers is not being given a contract with Norwich City first team football in mind, more like we'll get him another National League loan and fund a couple of coaching badges so we aren't throwing him onto the football scrapheap after a cancer battle.

Doubling down. Always good to see.

On 24/04/2024 at 19:10, cambridgeshire canary said:

In my defence how could I be talking about Barden when he's never played for Millwall? 😂

Just say yes rather than being a prize b3ll3nd then lol 

People have touched on him maybe getting a contract because he's been ill. No idea and don't want to speculate on that. 

It has however reminded me of a major league baseball team who've given a guy with serious mental health issues,  (i think schizophrenia)a contract just so he can get continue to get health insurance> despite him last actually playing for them years ago. A great, but also it shouldn't be a necessary thing to do. Those are different debates. Lucky we don't live in the US though!

Anyway. Good luck Dan. Hope to see you in a city shirt soon!

Posted (edited)

I believe that there is a wider issue to discuss here.

If Daniel Barden has been given a new contract then it is because he has shown he deserves it, nothing more, nothing less. However, the acquisition of Reyes and the praise lauded upon this youngster when he joined, the existence of the other promising young 'keepers and then the panic (what else?) signing of George Long throws into confusion the club's intentions for all these youths and therefore expands towards encompassing the purpose of the Academy beyond the obvious of producing another Rowe and others who have instantly impacted the first eleven and ultimately have/will fetch big fees.

First question, do we profit from sending these youngsters out to the lower league or is it just to give them experience ready for full assessment, or is it both?

Second question? I don't think that there is one, except to wonder whether we are trying to ape Chelsea in a mini way. When Adams was first given the role of Loans Manager, it was somewhat ridiculed in some quarters at first as a job for the boys, a sinecure for a faithful club stalwart. It sure makes sense now. It is a vital role.

It's all good, I like it and believe that the club grows in esteem because of it and that the Academy is our greatest boast, even though I do lose track at times. What foresight, and who promoted it above all others? The eminently dislikeable Stuart Webber, no less.

Perhaps another question should concern our rating of these youngsters. Do we over-rate them when it seems so many other clubs, even many in the second tier, seem to be producing a host of their own promising youth?

The balance aimed at seems to be running the Academy at a profit whilst occasionally producing a valuable asset capable of enhancing our first team before being sold for millions.

Answers on a few sheets of foolscap, please, or have I answered my own question? The young goalkeeper situation and the Long signing remains a puzzle nonetheless. If Barden was once deemed good enough for PL back up, why not Reyes? Ditto Springett, who was once a starter, whilst the Mumba outcome still divides opinion. I suppose that time will reveal the real reason, beyond the standard bull shine from all parties, why Stuart Weaver really left. Wagner? Knapper? Webber?

Back to square one, then.

It made much more sense in the days of the reserves.

Edited by BroadstairsR

8 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I believe that there is a wider issue to discuss here.

If Daniel Barden has been given a new contract then it is because he has shown he deserves it, nothing more, nothing less. However, the acquisition of Reyes and the praise lauded upon this youngster when he joined, the existence of the other promising young 'keepers and then the panic (what else?) signing of George Long throws into confusion the club's intentions for all these youths and therefore expands towards encompassing the purpose of the Academy beyond the obvious of producing another Rowe and others who have instantly impacted the first eleven and ultimately have/will fetch big fees.

First question, do we profit from sending these youngsters out to the lower league or is it just to give them experience ready for full assessment, or is it both?

Second question? I don't think that there is one, except to wonder whether we are trying to ape Chelsea in a mini way. When Adams was first given the role of Loans Manager, it was somewhat ridiculed in some quarters at first as a job for the boys, a sinecure for a faithful club stalwart. It sure makes sense now. It is a vital role.

It's all good, I like it and believe that the club grows in esteem because of it and that the Academy is our greatest boast, even though I do lose track at times. What foresight, and who promoted it above all others? The eminently dislikeable Stuart Webber, no less.

Perhaps another question should concern our rating of these youngsters. Do we over-rate them when it seems so many other clubs, even many in the second tier, seem to be producing a host of their own promising youth?

The balance aimed at seems to be running the Academy at a profit whilst occasionally producing a valuable asset capable of enhancing our first team before being sold for millions.

Answers on a few sheets of foolscap, please, or have I answered my own question? The young goalkeeper situation and the Long signing remains a puzzle nonetheless. If Barden was once deemed good enough for PL back up, why not Reyes? Ditto Springett, who was once a starter, whilst the Mumba outcome still divides opinion. I suppose that time will reveal the real reason, beyond the standard bull shine from all parties, why Stuart Weaver really left. Wagner? Knapper? Webber?

Back to square one, then.

It made much more sense in the days of the reserves.

I think you are probably right - there is a little bit of truth that we are following the Chelsea model, but I think essentially only if the players we have brought through the academy aren't quite right for us. Certainly my sense is that we retain some young guys for quite a long time after what would normally have been quite a harsh age cut-off. I think there is a gap in the market at the moment because so few of the clubs in the lower reaches of the EFL (and certainly in the upper reaches of non-league) do not have the resources to maintain large squads of academy type players (they are either in the squad or not). Clubs who have Cat 1 Academies are essentially becoming factory like in their production of loan players to "help" such clubs out when injuries hit. I don't see that being a bad thing for us.

But, we do need to ensure we have a steady stream of academy players that are right for us! Our problem at the moment seems to be defining what "right" means; "experienced" shouldn't be part of this equation, but seemingly our Head Coach wants it to be! #klaxon #knapperareyouonit

I think it's probably a case of keeping our options open for next season as we don't know whether we'll go up or not... If we're in the Premier League then Gunn with a new signing veteran as backup (bring Krul back maybe?) makes sense,  probably keep Barden as 3rd choice and Reyes out on loan to gain experience/exposure and then make a decision at the end of the year. If we're in the Championship, Barden is probably good enough to be backup to Gunn if he stays - Certainly would be as good as if not better than Long who I imagine will be let go on a free this summer given how far below this level he looked when he played for us. Reyes I'd be very surprised if he's not loaned out for experience next season, maybe abroad somewhere.

12 minutes ago, andyc24_uk said:

I think it's probably a case of keeping our options open for next season as we don't know whether we'll go up or not... If we're in the Premier League then Gunn with a new signing veteran as backup (bring Krul back maybe?) makes sense,  probably keep Barden as 3rd choice and Reyes out on loan to gain experience/exposure and then make a decision at the end of the year. If we're in the Championship, Barden is probably good enough to be backup to Gunn if he stays - Certainly would be as good as if not better than Long who I imagine will be let go on a free this summer given how far below this level he looked when he played for us. Reyes I'd be very surprised if he's not loaned out for experience next season, maybe abroad somewhere.

Personally, if we are promoted, then I would prefer the signing of another 1st choice keeper, with Gunn as backup. Realistically this is unlikely to happen as we require improvement in other areas before that of goalkeeper.