Sign in to follow this  
JonnyJonnyRowe

If this group gets us promoted

Wagner clearly didn't trust him as a regular starter at this level, I doubt he'd fancy him at a higher level.

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

Wagner clearly didn't trust him as a regular starter at this level, I doubt he'd fancy him at a higher level.

But would Cuesta? 😉 

If this group of players gets us promoted the 6 points which we gained from Idah's crucial late winners against Hull, Bristol City and Cardiff will have been a vital component in us doing so.......................................

but yeah, let's have another thread having a go at one of our Academy players..............

• Like 7

13 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Ben Brereton-Diaz on loan also. 

If Wagner is in charge next season I can't see this happening because Brereton-Diaz can't defend for toffee, which is what Wagner demands of his forwards - witness the match on Saturday where he just allowed the opposition player to waltz past him in the penalty box. Comical.

As for Maupay - no, he is one mardy **** and genuinely seems to **** off the rest of the side around him at times. His only redeeming feature is his ability to score 1 in 4. But surely we would need a 1 in 3'er at least?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, shefcanary said:

But surely we would need a 1 in 3'er at least?

1 in 3 in the Premier League is 13 goals, more than Pukki managed in each of his two Prem seasons.

2 less than Ollie Watkins scored last season, and 2 more than Gabriel Jesus and Roberto Firmino.

Got to be realistic, this is a player who will often be on the bench with Sargent sole striker.

Adam Idah has scored 1 goal in 29 appearances in the Premier League, he makes Maupay look like Luis Suarez.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

1 in 3 in the Premier League is 13 goals, more than Pukki managed in each of his two Prem seasons.

2 less than Ollie Watkins scored last season, and 2 more than Gabriel Jesus and Roberto Firmino.

Got to be realistic, this is a player who will often be on the bench with Sargent sole striker.

Adam Idah has scored 1 goal in 29 appearances in the Premier League, he makes Maupay look like Luis Suarez.

Although Idah has primarily played Left-Wing in the Prem in a dismal team creating little. In one of the few games he played down the middle at home vs Everton, he had a very good game and scored. 

If you have pace and attacking threat elsewhere Maupay is a consistent PL striker. If you stick him up top on his own and lump balls forward as Everton did, he is no use. 

As I understand it, Brentford has an option to buy at about £8m. Personally I’d exercise it as he is a good alternative option to the style of our other forwards but it isn’t my money. If we don’t, I suspect Everton will take any offer they can get. Dyche collared our owner at Glastonbury to tell him he thought Neal was one of the worst players he’d ever coached and that he’d drive him down himself if he could bear the 3 hours alone with him. 

Neal’s a bit of a character and as well-liked at Brentford as he’s loathed in Everton. No pace at all now- in the assist he got at Chelsea he got caught by their keeper running back from having gone up for a late corner despite a 20+ yard head start. But at least he had the presence of mind and unselfishness to square to Mbeumo when he was about to be caught. I think he’s now best playing a more withdrawn role and will get assists and goals that way as a support striker. Against Luton I liked that he had the awareness in the box to be there and to leave the ball to a better placed player for our fifth. And he’s fun in a way that’s becoming rarer these days. He would score a lot in the Championship. 

If this group did somehow get us up, we would need significant investment as this group is nowhere near as good as previous Canary incarnations found wanting.

With Attanasio in joint control now, I wonder if that changes the situation at all with regards to transfer spend. I suspect not

5 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

If this group did somehow get us up, we would need significant investment as this group is nowhere near as good as previous Canary incarnations found wanting.

With Attanasio in joint control now, I wonder if that changes the situation at all with regards to transfer spend. I suspect not

I don't see Attanasio making anymore huge investment until he is confirmed as majority owner. That's unlikely to be before Jan 2026.