43 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

I assume that is a observation rather than a criticism of Sainz as in football today it seems the modern trend is for players to play on the 'wrong' side to their favoured foot.This season has seen quite a few really good goals scored by players coming inside and scoring with curled shots at goal.There are quite a few class players who tend to play for their clubs on their 'wrong' side that invariably come inside;Grealish,Silva,Elliott,Kulusevski and Antony come to mind

Yeah, not a criticism of Sainz at all, he’s been excellent since he’s come into the team, but it was all a bit congested when he cut in on Saturday so Rowe was more dangerous.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Rowe isn't going to stay here to play off the bench.

Long term, sure, but with him just coming back from injury we have the most convenient possible 'excuse' to keep him on the bench for now.

40 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

the club may also want him in the shop window.

That, though, is an undeniable point. But we might have six more games. He can start at Wembley, that would be fine by me 😉 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Grumpy said:

I assume that is a observation rather than a criticism of Sainz as in football today it seems the modern trend is for players to play on the 'wrong' side to their favoured foot.

And it's especially the case in our team since the strategy is for the the 'wingers' to come inside to stiffen up the midfield, while our FBs provide the width. We're sort of 3-6-1 when attacking. So much so that we really need to stop calling the players in those positions wingers.

And that's actually why I feel Sainz is a better fit for how we play than Rowe. The more I think about it, the stronger the case for him being an impact sub becomes, especially as he comes back from injury. As @Mr Angry says, Rowe provides a different threat, very useful if plan A with the inverted wingers isn't working.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
added last sentence
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

And it's especially the case in our team since the strategy is for the the 'wingers' to come inside to stiffen up the midfield, while our FBs provide the width. We're sort of 3-6-1 when attacking. So much so that we really need to stop calling the players in those positions wingers.

And that's actually why I feel Sainz is a better fit for how we play than Rowe. The more I think about it, the stronger the case for him being an impact sub becomes, especially as he comes back from injury. As @Mr Angry says, Rowe provides a different threat, very useful if plan A with the inverted wingers isn't working.

Totally agree. I have my doubts whether Rowe would be satisfied with this super-sub role, though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Totally agree. I have my doubts whether Rowe would be satisfied with this super-sub role, though.

Yeah, of course. Surely he can hardly complain if he's eased back over the next few games, though.

8 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

But if he starts, he tends to be subbed, so in terms of time playing, it’s not actually that different.

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

But if he starts, he tends to be subbed, so in terms of time playing, it’s not actually that different.

I hope he looks at it that way because he is a real weapon to put on against an obdurate opponent who have stifled us and kept us out. 

• Like 4

On 14/04/2024 at 17:47, daz said:

Szmodics won't be here he will be sold. For BIG money unfortunately, very good player and champs top scorer tho. 

I did try though lol

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Yeah, not a criticism of Sainz at all, he’s been excellent since he’s come into the team, but it was all a bit congested when he cut in on Saturday so Rowe was more dangerous.

Rowe looks quicker on his feet than any player we have - and probably any other team in the championship. That he can go either way and at speed at defenders makes him almost unplayable at times. It would be great to keep him for another season - and maybe we can, especially if we are promoted - it is such a shame that the best players get sold on so quickly and we don't get to see them for more than a few games.

Whatever happens, if he is fit to the end of this season, he is a real weapon to have in our challenge for promotion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Rowe looks quicker on his feet than any player we have - and probably any other team in the championship. That he can go either way and at speed at defenders makes him almost unplayable at times. It would be great to keep him for another season - and maybe we can, especially if we are promoted - it is such a shame that the best players get sold on so quickly and we don't get to see them for more than a few games.

Whatever happens, if he is fit to the end of this season, he is a real weapon to have in our challenge for promotion.

His agent has already said he’s off, and Rowe has not said that’s not true. Think it’s more him wanting to go, than the club wanting to sell.

30 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I dont think Rowe offers pace per say, more he is accomplished at running with the ball and makes defenders back off him. My only issue with Sainz is he likes losing the ball in and around our box after winning it and trying to play out from the back. He also seems to like cutting in from the wing, rather than taking on his man. Both are good options to have and Sainz will only get better, as will Rowe providing he can add to his fitness levels.

I've just been listening to 'Rattus Norvegicus' an' got an inspirational idea for a Johnny Rowe  song.....To the tune of the Stranglers 'Go Buddy Go'.....

#"Go Johnny - Go Johnny - Go Johnny - Go Johnny---ROWE ROWE ROWE!"#....

'Eat yer heart out Lennon an' McCartney'....

• Like 2